DOG V. CATS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife had a cat years ago that had a massive build to it, with huge paws.  Ultimately, the vet was so curious that he had some tests run on it...and they found it was a mix between a domestic shorthair and a bobcat.  Nothing messed with that cat.

A good friend of mine has a Maine Coon, too, that routinely beats up dogs as well...not little ones, either, but labs, German Shepherds, and the like.

336201[/snapback]

What was the temperament of the half bobcat like? Also, how would you characterize the personality of a Maine Coon?

What was the temperament of the half bobcat like? Also, how would you characterize the personality of a Maine Coon?

336239[/snapback]

http://www.thepetprofessor.com/cat-breeds/...e-Coon-cat.html

We have a cat that I'm pretty sure is part Maine Coon (she looks like one, although she's rather small -- about 7 pounds). She fetches, likes putting her paw under a water faucet and then lick the water off of her paw to drink, and she's the one who follows me around all morning and is at the door waiting when I get home. She's definately not all Maine Coon (we rescued her from the vile people that lived below us in our last apartment) but she has many of the dominant features (including "clicking" more than meowing; hard to describe, but it's not a typical cat meow).

CW

336239[/snapback]

I'll ask her when she gets home; as far as I know, it was calm and friendly.

As for the personality of a Maine Coon...I'd hesitate to make a judgement myself, as I've only known the one. But from what I've heard/read, he's typical of the breed: independent and self-sufficient, very even-tempered, playful (though he's getting on in years now), very curious, very smart. Not a lap cat by any means...and you wouldn't want him to be, as he's about 20 lbs, which is typical for the breed. Standoffish, but in a sense that's less arrogant and more formal - whenever I see him I get a friendly but polite greeting. Good breed...my favorite is the Manx, but if I were to get another cat I wouldn't hesitate over a Maine Coon either.

I'll ask her when she gets home; as far as I know, it was calm and friendly. 

As for the personality of a Maine Coon...I'd hesitate to make a judgement myself, as I've only known the one.  But from what I've heard/read, he's typical of the breed: independent and self-sufficient, very even-tempered, playful (though he's getting on in years now), very curious, very smart.  Not a lap cat by any means...and you wouldn't want him to be, as he's about 20 lbs, which is typical for the breed.  Standoffish, but in a sense that's less arrogant and more formal - whenever I see him I get a friendly but polite greeting.  Good breed...my favorite is the Manx, but if I were to get another cat I wouldn't hesitate over a Maine Coon either.

336247[/snapback]

YUP, Mostly right on....

But My Main Coon "Pursia" is way cool. Have her trained to fetch, come inside on one command no matter where she is, to come in the bed at night etc.... she is so smart.

Plus she loves to cuddle in our bed at night. She's the best.

We currently have once 6 year old cat, a 16 year old dog and a 1 year old dog. We had another cat and dog before we had any of the present animals. Our first cat was much more affectionate than our present one. He was aptly named Snuggles. Unfortunately, as a male cat he developed a chronic urinary tract problem. We had to have him put to sleep. Molly is the more typical, aloof, "I'll let you give me a little affection from time to time, but only on my terms" kind of cat. She is allowed out and used to be out a lot more. Overall, I think dogs tend to interact with people alot more easily, but there are vast differences between individuals among both cats and dogs. BTW, I'm mildly allergic to both, but I get by OK with my daily shot of Flonase.

Have you ever had a cat?

My wife and I have two, and they're anything but the stereotypical view on cats.  The younger one (a Maine Coon mix) plays fetch, follows me around when I wake up in the morning right to the door when I walk out.  When I come home from work, she's right there at the door waiting for me as well.

The older cat is a bit more secluded, but still comes up to see us and cuddle at least 3-4 times a day.

Plus, I don't have to wake up at 2am to walk my cat when it has to go poop.

I'd venture to guess most people who bash cats have never actually had one.

CW

335987[/snapback]

It took a year and an animal thread for me to say this, but...

I agree with Fez.

I've owned as many as three cats and two dogs at the same time, don't have a problem with either. The right/best animal is the one that returns what you want out of a pet. Nothing wrong with enjoying a good cat joke, though.

most of these house cats won't even try to kill a rat or mice.......they are too pampered.......they might slap at it to keep their lazy ass in the house but other than that........their animal instincts leave them when they are spoiled

In my experience, cats are not going to kill many animals in the house. When we've had mice, we've always needed to use traps or poison. They have always caught animals outside though, mostly moles. The more moles Molly kills the better. Our 1 year old miniature poodle, miniature dachshund, chihuahua mix has also caught and killed moles, a rabbit, and a bird while tied up. He amazes me with his quickness.

lewis and clark got all the way to california and had to stay there - as it started to snow - pacific west coast style.  they had no food, so they ate the dogs.  they prepared them many different ways, they were delicious in many ways, so i have read.

but i would never eat one.  but if you were starving, would you eat little rufus?

335882[/snapback]

:doh::doh:

I just had to chime in on this one! ;)

To think? In such a "land of plenty."

And to say that the Native Americans were confused beyond belief was an understatement.

It been said that the european settlers would rather starve than eat salmon. Seemed the red color grossed them out?

Anyway... I am a dog person... Yet, I have a cat. :lol:

To me, the argument isn't a fair one. The two animals are just different. It's like trying to compare a book and a film, they are completely different mediums. You may like one and not the other, you may like both. But they do and require different things.

Personally, I like both, a ton. If I had to choose, I would get a dog. But I like a cat more than I like a cat-sized dog. Also, if you have a dog that grew up with a cat, and they become good friends, which they usually do, that becomes a really cool relationship.