DOG V. CATS

this thread is really turning into something interesting and wonderful.  so why the hell do cats get such a bad name?  you pro cat poster have made highly compelling posts as to why cats are pretty cool.  i stated cats as pissclams and 'suck' as an ignorant cat person.  why is society against cats and so pro dog?  did the dog food lobbyist brainwash us?  is alpo a huge business?  are dogs marketable?  intersting indeed...

336111[/snapback]

A theory of mine is that cats are usually hated more because more people are allergic to them. I had cats when I was kid but around 14 I suddenly became deathly allergic to them, lungs tightening up, sneezing, you name it. That's why I hate them, those fuggers can kill me!

The other main reason men hate cats is because there is almost always a megabitch ex-girlfriend in the past and she almost always has a cat or two...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure that was cheetahs?  I've heard of lions showing hunting behavior that complex (and even more so...like complex ambush tactics).  But cheetahs are EXTREMELY solitary, and because they rely so much on speed are actually hampered by cooperative tactics.

336120[/snapback]

It was a while ago that I read that. I'm sure it was something smaller than a lion or tiger, but still pretty big. They might have been leopards or something. In any case, they were walking--not running--when they were in this line. I guess the plan was that, when they came upon potential prey, they'd be able to pursue it from several directions.

While reading my Scientific American...

Yes, the little freak was reading a magazine, I swear...not today, though, she's too hung over...  :o

336132[/snapback]

My dog likes to watch TV with me. He really does like watching the retriver trials and Dog on It Sunday mornings. I guess my dog is more of a stevestojan than a CTM. :w00t:

Yeah that way the dog can eat the stupid cat when it doesn't want to learn quick enough. Of course only to please the pack leader.

I know you were kidding, but I've never seen a dog be able to get close enough to a cat to be able to eat it, even if it wanted to. Cats are lightning quick, and if they have their claws, there's noplace they can't go. Our older cat was looking around a sunporch at my wife's grandmother's house. Her uncle arrived with his dog and the dog was VERY hyper, bolted into the sunporch and surprised the cat. The cat LITERALLY sprung 8' in the air, flipped himself upside down, and latched his claws into the beam in the ceiling, all in a split second. All of this from a COMPLETE STANDSTILL. It was nuts (and he was petrified). No way the dog was going to get him up there though. :w00t:

My dog likes to watch TV with me.  He really does like watching the retriver trials and Dog on It Sunday mornings.  I guess my dog is more of a stevestojan than a CTM.  :o

336154[/snapback]

My cat used to watch the Simpsons with me for the first month or so that we had him. He wouldn't pay any attention to the TV, but as soon as Homer was on, he'd sit on the coffee table and watch the show. He usually got bored when a commercial came on and then left to do something else, but he would just stare whenever Simpsons was on.

He doens't do that anymore though ;)

CW

A theory of mine is that cats are usually hated more because more people are allergic to them. I had cats when I was kid but around 14 I suddenly became deathly allergic to them, lungs tightening up, sneezing, you name it. That's why I hate them, those fuggers can kill me!

The other main reason men hate cats is because there is almost always a megabitch ex-girlfriend in the past and she almost always has a cat or two...

336129[/snapback]

I can see why you wouldn't want to be around cats, but it's not like they chose to make themselves give people allergies.

Disliking cats because they appeal to your ex-girlfriend doesn't make much sense. After all, there was a time when you appealed to her too.

I know you were kidding, but I've never seen a dog be able to get close enough to a cat to be able to eat it, even if it wanted to.  Cats are lightning quick, and if they have their claws, there's noplace they can't go.  Our older cat was looking around a sunporch at my wife's grandmother's house.  Her uncle arrived with his dog and the dog was VERY hyper, bolted into the sunporch and surprised the cat.  The cat LITERALLY sprung 8' in the air, flipped himself upside down, and latched his claws into the beam in the ceiling, all in a split second.  All of this from a COMPLETE STANDSTILL.  It was nuts (and he was petrified).  No way the dog was going to get him up there though. :o

336166[/snapback]

Oh you would be surprised. Some of your ratters and bird retriever dogs could probably do a number on a cat. They have quick as sh-- reflexes and a cat may do some damage, but they are bred to be quick,

I'm glad this post turned into an interesting discussion.

My reason for not liking cats is I like to do outdoors things. You can't teach a cat to fetch, play catch with a frisbee, take it hunting, riding in a boat, swimming, camping, ect.

I can do all of that with a dog, plus more.

My dog likes to watch TV with me.  He really does like watching the retriver trials and Dog on It Sunday mornings.  I guess my dog is more of a stevestojan than a CTM.  :o

336154[/snapback]

My cats like to watch TV. They love the baboons in Lion King, all of Finding Nemo...but their favorite movie is Das Boot. They love the battle scenes...

No, I am not making this up. They're friggin' weird animals...

My cats like to watch TV.  They love the baboons in Lion King, all of Finding Nemo...but their favorite movie is Das Boot.  They love the battle scenes...

No, I am not making this up.  They're friggin' weird animals...

336190[/snapback]

I hear pets are a lot like their owners.

Oh you would be surprised.  Some of your ratters and bird retriever dogs could  probably do a number on a cat.  They have quick as sh-- reflexes and a cat may do some damage, but they are bred to be quick,

336169[/snapback]

The phrase "cat quick" was invented for a reason, though. I've been around some of the dog breeds you mentioned...still haven't seen one that's quick as a cat.

Oh you would be surprised.  Some of your ratters and bird retriever dogs could  probably do a number on a cat.  They have quick as sh-- reflexes and a cat may do some damage, but they are bred to be quick,

336169[/snapback]

It also depends on the cat. There was this one really big cat who used to hang around my house when I was in high school. This cat must have weighed at least 25 lbs, and it was all muscle. He exuded this air of dominance. His very body language seemed to say, "I'm not used to anyone making the mistake of messing with me." My brother watched this cat chase a Doberman Pinscher off the dog's own property. It was a pretty big dog too.

I'm not sure how many people have read Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang, but it's basically a book about a dog. At one point, the dog gets sold to some guy who puts him in a lot of fights with other dogs. The dog was a good fighter, and brought down a mastiff with relative ease. The dog's three most difficult fights were when he faced a bulldog, when he faced two dogs at once, and when he fought a lynx.

What is a lynx? It's similar enough to a house cat to be able to interbreed, but different enough interbreeding is not a good idea. A lynx can weigh up to 45 lbs. Their prey can include large animals like deer and wild pigs. The same is true of bobcats, even though bobcats are smaller. Lynx and bobcats have much longer limbs than housecats.

A bobcat is about the toughest and meanest animal you'll come across. A bobcat is considered a far more dangerous pet than a mountain lion, because of the bobcat's temper. Granted, a bobcat isn't even as big as a lynx. But its front claws can slash through leather work boots, its rear claws can rip out someone's stomach, its reflexes and movement are lightning-quick, and like a lynx it can kill deer and wild pigs.

No housecat has this kind of temperament or this kind of physical ability. But some come closer to its physical traits than others.

It also depends on the cat. There was this one really big cat who used to hang around my house when I was in high school. This cat must have weighed at least 25 lbs, and it was all muscle. He exuded this air of dominance. His very body language seemed to say, "I'm not used to anyone making the mistake of messing with me." My brother watched this cat chase a Doberman Pinscher off the dog's own property. It was a pretty big dog too.

I'm not sure how many people have read Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang, but it's basically a book about a dog. At one point, the dog gets sold to some guy who puts him in a lot of fights with other dogs. The dog was a good fighter, and brought down a mastiff with relative ease. The dog's three most difficult fights were when he faced a bulldog, when he faced two dogs at once, and when he fought a lynx.

What is a lynx? It's similar enough to a house cat to be able to interbreed, but different enough interbreeding is not a good idea. A lynx can weigh up to 45 lbs. Their prey can include large animals like deer and wild pigs. The same is true of bobcats, even though bobcats are smaller. Lynx and bobcats have much longer limbs than housecats.

A bobcat is about the toughest and meanest animal you'll come across. A bobcat is considered a far more dangerous pet than a mountain lion, because of the bobcat's temper. Granted, a bobcat isn't even as big as a lynx. But its front claws can slash through leather work boots, its rear claws can rip out someone's stomach, its reflexes and movement are lightning-quick, and like a lynx it can kill deer and wild pigs.

No housecat has this kind of temperament or this kind of physical ability. But some come closer to its physical traits than others.

336194[/snapback]

My wife had a cat years ago that had a massive build to it, with huge paws. Ultimately, the vet was so curious that he had some tests run on it...and they found it was a mix between a domestic shorthair and a bobcat. Nothing messed with that cat.

A good friend of mine has a Maine Coon, too, that routinely beats up dogs as well...not little ones, either, but labs, German Shepherds, and the like.

You're right. I'd like to add to this by saying cats have a different set of social rules. If you stare at a dog and talk to it in a loud, friendly voice, the dog will be encouraged. A cat would consider this behavior a threat. My own feeling is that a lot of dog people get turned off by cats when loud, direct communication techniques fail to produce the intended result.

336114[/snapback]

Am I to assume that cats do not like drunks?

Heh, my Maine Coon wouldn't come close to beating up a dog; she'd run :o

CW

336220[/snapback]

There are two effective strategies cats can use to deal with dogs: either attack them head-on, or run away. Half-committing to either strategy will get a cat killed. Every cat I've known has been 100% committed to one strategy or the other.