Proposed Base Closings.

Sen. Thune beat Daschle by making a promise in his campaign that he'd keep Ellsworth AFB open. Rep. Rob Simmons tacitly implied the same about the sub base in New London. I can only repeat the mantra, 'Don't make promises your ass can't cash.'

Not saying the closings aren't warranted. But it's pretty stevestojanny when the military could save a lot more by actually knowing where half of their inventory is.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sen. Thune beat Daschle by making a promise in his campaign that he'd keep Ellsworth AFB open. Rep. Rob Simmons tacitly implied the same about the sub base in New London. I can only repeat the mantra, 'Don't make promises your ass can't cash.'

Not saying the closings aren't warranted. But it's pretty stevestojanny when the military could save a lot more by actually knowing where half of their inventory is.

335643[/snapback]

It's only a list of "recommendations". It doesn't necessarily represent the actual closings, so there's still a chance Thune and Simmons could keep their word.

I'm mildly surprised they'd close New London, too...aren't there still some two divisions of attack boats operating out of there?

It's only a list of "recommendations".  It doesn't necessarily represent the actual closings, so there's still a chance Daschle and Simmons could keep their word. 

I'm mildly surprised they'd close New London, too...aren't there still some two divisions of attack boats operating out of there?

335648[/snapback]

"Georgia...Georgia, the whole day through...just an old sweet song, with Georgia..on my mind..."

It's only a list of "recommendations".  It doesn't necessarily represent the actual closings, so there's still a chance Daschle and Simmons could keep their word. 

335648[/snapback]

Yeah, there's still public hearings, but by and large what Lola wants, Lola gets. Esp. with the current Congress. And there's been a lot of backroom haggling already. CT spent $3/4M to "come up with ideas" to present to the Pentagon why the sub base should stay open. It takes that much money to come up with "ideas," I guess. Money well spent. :D I was a little surprised it's on the list too, esp. along w/ closing the one in Maine, b/c proximity to NYC and Boston.

In total, the Pentagon wants to close 180 sites, including 33 large bases.

In a lot of those towns, it's going to be like when GM pulled out of Flint. Fat needs to be trimmed, tho. I'm just a little worried we're falling into the same trap the Romans did.

Im pretty shocked by the notion that forces will be moved WEST as the need for them on the East coast deteriorates.

Excuse me, but the megaolopolis of NY/BOS/PHI doesnt have a single air base equipped with attack aircraft, does it? Id think that having one here wouldnt hurt, especially after 9/11. And they even have a site for it, in Calverton Long Island, where Grumman manufactured the F-14 and A-6 years ago.

Im pretty shocked by the notion that forces will be moved WEST as the need for them on the East coast deteriorates.

Excuse me, but the megaolopolis of NY/BOS/PHI doesnt have a single air base equipped with attack aircraft, does it? Id think that having one here wouldnt hurt, especially after 9/11. And they even have a site for it, in Calverton Long Island, where Grumman manufactured the F-14 and A-6 years ago.

335720[/snapback]

There are some there. Dover AFB, McGuire AFB in NJ are two that come to mind immediately.

i was amazed they didn't close NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach

335741[/snapback]

We had the same thought here. Thought Monroe might have stayed...but they shut down everything in Atlanta too, so Army FORSCOM and TRADOC will have new homes. Belvoir is picking up a LOT. We knew we were moving there, I don't know if we're counted in the 9,000.

A guy at work said New Lounden is a dump. He thought it was boomers there only and since the military seems to be backing away from those do to cut backs in nuke deployment the boomers have been on the outs for a while. Seems like the right cut if thats true.

A guy at work said New Lounden is a dump.  He thought it was boomers there only and since the military seems to be backing away from those do to cut backs in nuke deployment the boomers have been on the outs for a while.  Seems like the right cut if thats true.

336127[/snapback]

I thought boomers were mainly out of Bangor in the east?

At any rate, New London's web site says they have attack boats there...I am willing, however, to admit that the site may very well be incomplete or even wrong...

I thought boomers were mainly out of Bangor in the east?

At any rate, New London's web site says they have attack boats there...I am willing, however, to admit that the site may very well be incomplete or even wrong...

336135[/snapback]

I don't know, since they weren't the typical Navy taxi cap for the real fighting forces. Just telling you what a guy at work who grew up there said. Didn't Bangor or another Navy base in Maine also get on the list as well?

I don't know, since they weren't the typical Navy taxi cap for the real fighting forces.  Just telling you what a guy at work who grew up there said.  Didn't Bangor or another Navy base in Maine also get on the list as well?

336158[/snapback]

I do occasionally know what I'm talking about. :w00t:

There were a few others, including, I think, the base they use for decommissioning nuclear subs. So they reduce the number of home bases, which likely as not means they'll reduce the size of the fleet...and eliminate the base where they clean up the reactors. :o

I had to have read that wrong. I hope so. Not even our government can be that stupid...

So how will this affect the future deployment of the HARM armed Uavs that NBF told us about that are top secret but his SEAL team uses them all the time?

336242[/snapback]

Well...for starters, they'll be carrying less corrosive blood agent when they launch...

But on the plus side, I hear that they're renting out storage space at New London for the wrestling tape collection of an unnamed Navy mess cook...

So how will this affect the future deployment of the HARM armed Uavs that NBF told us about that are top secret but his SEAL team uses them all the time?

336242[/snapback]

I thought the seal team didn't use HARM's, they used those little horns with the red rubber bulbs.

FYI, historically, 85% of the BRAC recommendations have been approved as is by the commission and subsequently implemented. Now, the statistical sample is small, but the process was set up to avoid long and expensive bargaining sessions by the legislators. We'll know by 1 Oct how well this BRAC did.