Extend Po Now - Protect the Culture

MarlinTheMagician

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I guess, for me, it all comes down to Edmunds.

If 49 is looking like a stud, then you lock him up which likely means there isn’t enough bread on the table to give Poyer what he wants, since Ed Oliver also comes before him. 

If 49 looks average and you know he’ll test the FA market, you extend Poyer if you think you’ll lose Edmunds. 

I'm all for letting either go if they want a lot more money that what you can value them at.  The offense is what will take this team into/deep into the playoffs or to the Superbowl.  Ensure an elite offense (including a 'good' O-line to keep Allen from taking to many hits) and do the best you can with the D-unit with what is left over.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I can see McD and Beane making a decision based on that, but not posters here. Also I’m doing them a favor by not including their preseason performances. This preseason all of them gave up passer ratings over 105 when the ball was thrown to their coverage responsibility.  Vanilla coverage, etc. applies, but it’s still not a plus. 

Barley, that’s all posters everywhere.  We don’t know what the coaches see in camp.  I don’t think people are saying, “well they did well in preseason, then they will do well in the season”.  I’m not.  I’m saying this staff has a history of developing people over a few years.  You could’ve said the same thing about, Dane, Bates, Boettger, etc.  because we don’t know.  What I trust though is this staff and what they did show was solid.

You know I’m not normally against you, but we as a crew only know what we see, read, and watch.  That’s why we’re called fans.  You’re absolutely right though Amy of these safeties can fall on their face.  You can’t replace Hyde and Poyer and not thing there is some drop off, but you also for Beane have to make wise long term financial decisions.  Poyer will be 32 at the end of the year.

What would you do, but if you’re giving Poyer $16-18 mil, who are you cutting?

I think that’s what some have resolved to in that the cap is real and they can only play so much gymnastics.  I’d rather extend a DT who could be excellent as he’s developed every year.  He also could be with us for another 6-7 years.  As much as I love Poyer, that’s not happening.  Just like I seriously doubt that Von Miller is really a 3 year contract, and then we’ll see.

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Barley, that’s all posters everywhere.  We don’t know what the coaches see in camp.  I don’t think people are saying, “well they did well in preseason, then they will do well in the season”.  I’m not.  I’m saying this staff has a history of developing people over a few years.  You could’ve said the same thing about, Dane, Bates, Boettger, etc.  because we don’t know.  What I trust though is this staff and what they did show was solid.

You know I’m not normally against you, but we as a crew only know what we see, read, and watch.  That’s why we’re called fans.  You’re absolutely right though Amy of these safeties can fall on their face.  You can’t replace Hyde and Poyer and not thing there is some drop off, but you also for Beane have to make wise long term financial decisions.  Poyer will be 32 at the end of the year.

What would you do, but if you’re giving Poyer $16-18 mil, who are you cutting?

I think that’s what some have resolved to in that the cap is real and they can only play so much gymnastics.  I’d rather extend a DT who could be excellent as he’s developed every year.  He also could be with us for another 6-7 years.  As much as I love Poyer, that’s not happening.  Just like I seriously doubt that Von Miller is really a 3 year contract, and then we’ll see.

That’s a fair response. I wouldn’t give Poyer a contract that was effectively more than a 3 year deal (including this year). And I wouldn’t go near the $16M-$18M AAV range in those first 3 years. If that’s the range Poyer expects, then I’d change my stance. I’d make him play out his deal and then let him walk.

Something reasonable to me would be to give him an extension at market rate along with guarantees. Something like an extra $30M between a signing bonus and salaries in 2022-2024. If he wants to try to get more than that in FA after this season, then good luck to him. It’s worth noting that Rosenhaus has given some players bad advice about the contract they can get. Maybe that’s happening here. 

I don’t think that a deal like that would prohibit the Bills from extending Oliver and Davis (eventually). I’m not an Edmunds fan so I would prefer not to re-sign him. I think Poyer has earned it and they should make a reasonable effort to extend him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.