Would you climb Mt. Everest?

If you were to get into climbing shape, would you attempt to reach the summit of Everest  

89 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to get into climbing shape, would you attempt to reach the summit of Everest

• Yes, It is a challenge of human endeavor
    • No, got too much at stake to risk it
    • Not sure
    • Who the hell cares?

1 in 6 people die after fuggin' Paris Hilton, and they don't even need to get in shape.

331872[/snapback]

That would fall under the 'amazing and stupid' category as discussed above, right? :unsure:

Base camp is where it's at. Just go to base camp, not shave, sleep in a tent, drink everyday, once in a while look up at "it" and go back in the tent. I'd rather save myself the trouble, wear camp shirts and just hang out at camp.

Base camp is where it's at.  Just go to base camp, not shave, sleep in a tent, drink everyday, once in a while look up at "it" and go back in the tent.  I'd rather save myself the trouble, wear camp shirts and just hang out at camp.

332233[/snapback]

My roomate's girlfriend did that a few years ago. She said it was no joke, the base camp is higher than people realize. Her father didn't make it and had to be airlifted back down.

My roomate's girlfriend did that a few years ago. She said it was no joke, the base camp is higher than people realize. Her father didn't make it and had to be airlifted back down.

332423[/snapback]

Isn't Everest's base camp at about 18k feet or something? That's a vertical hike equivalent to climbing Mt. McKinley...and even discounting the difficulty of the climb, McKinley's not exactly easy. Most people, unused to heights, start to feel it around 12k-14k feet...at 20k is where your average person seriously risks passing out. Everest's base camp certainly isn't anything to scoff at...though the scenery must be spectacular.

Depending on what side of the mountain you're on base camp could be as high as 19000 feet. Also, people keep saying, "someone could fly me to the top....." this is impossible, no helicopter can fly that high, and you would die jumping out of a jet at 30000 feet (no acclimitization, etc).

Also, 65k is what it costs to climb with expensive guides. You can climb on the north side of everest with no guides for a $5000 permit fee.

I have been climbing for quite a while, and have never hired a guide for actual climbs. Occasionally we will hire someone for a day to go over rescue techniques as a refresher, but never to lead us up a climb. I'm trying to convince my wife to let me and my climbing partner go on a 45 day trip to India to climb.

Would you do it if you were promised upon your return that the Buffalo Bills were assured of a 14-2 season and homefield advantage throughout????  :P

332502[/snapback]

:D Would that be the only opportunity i would have to ever climb it? <_<

Depending on what side of the mountain you're on base camp could be as high as 19000 feet.  Also, people keep saying, "someone could fly me to the top....." this is impossible, no helicopter can fly that high, and you would die jumping out of a jet at 30000 feet (no acclimitization, etc).

Also, 65k is what it costs to climb with expensive guides.  You can climb on the north side of everest with no guides for a $5000 permit fee. 

I have been climbing for quite a while, and have never hired a guide for actual climbs.  Occasionally we will hire someone for a day to go over rescue techniques as a refresher, but never to lead us up a climb.  I'm trying to convince my wife to let me and my climbing partner go on a 45 day trip to India to climb.

332498[/snapback]

Actually, you can jump from a plane at 30k feet - or higher - IF you're properly equipped (O2 bottle, for example). I seriously doubt, however, that even the best parachutist in the world could jump from a plane and land on the summit of Everest.

Is the north side the easier side? I don't recall...

Actually, you can jump from a plane at 30k feet - or higher - IF you're properly equipped (O2 bottle, for example).  I seriously doubt, however, that even the best parachutist in the world could jump from a plane and land on the summit of Everest. 

Is the north side the easier side?  I don't recall...

332531[/snapback]

I believe the South Face is the easier more travelled route.

Actually, you can jump from a plane at 30k feet - or higher - IF you're properly equipped (O2 bottle, for example).  I seriously doubt, however, that even the best parachutist in the world could jump from a plane and land on the summit of Everest. 

Is the north side the easier side?  I don't recall...

332531[/snapback]

PJs jump from as high as 25,000 feet and they use square parachutes and oxygen tanks but that is as high as I have ever heard anyone parachuting from

PJs jump from as high as 25,000 feet and they use square parachutes and oxygen tanks but that is as high as I have ever heard anyone parachuting from

332790[/snapback]

Professional HALO jumpers (SAS, for example) can jump from higher than 30k, I believe (I recall hearing as high as 40k). I can confirm it when I get home.

Professional HALO jumpers (SAS, for example) can jump from higher than 30k, I believe (I recall hearing as high as 40k).  I can confirm it when I get home.

332846[/snapback]

102,800 feet is the record - Joe Kittinger did this from a balloon back in 1960. He was the first individual to freefall faster than the speed of sound. I believe several people in the ensuing years have tried to beat his record and died trying. Now that's a record!

Joe Kittinger's jump

102,800 feet is the record  - Joe Kittinger did this from a balloon back in 1960.  He was the first individual to freefall faster than the speed of sound.  I believe several people in the ensuing years have tried to beat his record and died trying.  Now that's a record!

Joe Kittinger's jump

333189[/snapback]

Amazing biography !

See Bado, no morbid topic here !