What are your expectations for the rookie Beane drafts in the 1st round this year?

intimidatortj

8 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I was with you until the bolded section.  

Established star QBs in the AFC:

Allen

Mahommes

Burrows

Herbert

Watson

Jackson

Matt Ryan

Russell Wilson

Up and Coming High Upside: Not all these guys will be good, but all high draft picks with talent

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Mac Jones

Tua

No doubt there are other QBs that are talented but not with the full range of abilities that Josh has.  All the other talented qbs have more weaknesses than Josh.  Even a blind Kyler Murray finds a hail Mary throw now and then so yes I don't claim that they won't make some plays on our defense.  Just the fact they practice against the unicorn daily gives them a bigger edge when the lesser qbs try to go off script they will luck into a play or 2 but I'm not sweating those odd moments because Josh has those type of plays so frequently we are really spoiled.  The team is really just learning to trust those plays are the normal and that they just need to take care of business and there's few teams that will go toe to toe with them.  

The odd time the other team makes some plays I fully expect Josh and the offense to answer in convincing fashion.  That demoralized  the opponents seeing Josh shred their defense that they start to press a bit and think that makes them easier to defend so our defense doesn't need to be the best to get the job done.  

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Not really. 

I went back to 2001 and have found only one draft that produced 4 starters in two years. 

2017 - White, Jones, Dawkins, and Milano. And to say Jones was a starter is a bit if a stretch. That was the worst WR unit in NFL.

That said there were several drafts that produced three solid starters. If Beane is able to do that then it will go a long way to adding lower cost talent to the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Georgie said:

In general, I want the 1st round pick to contribute immediately.  Reps differ by position and QB is an exception. If Bills pick a CB,I want him to fill in for Tre temporarily and then compete with,or complement, Jackson.

If IOL,I would expect a starter at RG. A WR could see some reps, maybe return kicks. 

It sure would be nice if our 1st round pick contributed immediately.

With Ed Oliver, he was slow in his rookie year.  I suppose you could say Greg Rousseau did okay his rookie year, although he hit the rookie wall later in the season. 

Going back to Shaq Lawson, he had surgery, missed games, and then was going getting up to speed.

If the Bills draft Kyler Gordon, Trent McDuffie, Andrew Booth or Dax Hill, you would think they could see a lot of playing time early.

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I went back to 2001 and have found only one draft that produced 4 starters in two years. 

2017 - White, Jones, Dawkins, and Milano. And to say Jones was a starter is a bit if a stretch. That was the worst WR unit in NFL.

That said there were several drafts that produced three solid starters. If Beane is able to do that then it will go a long way to adding lower cost talent to the roster.

The benchmark in the NFL for years has been if you get 3 good starters out of 7 picks, you did well.

Even if you go back to the Jim Kelly era, the Bills did draft well, but it was never more than 3 good ones per year.  Albeit guys like Josh Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, etc were very impactful. 

2 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

It sure would be nice if our 1st round pick contributed immediately.

With Ed Oliver, he was slow in his rookie year.  I suppose you could say Greg Rousseau did okay his rookie year, although he hit the rookie wall later in the season. 

Going back to Shaq Lawson, he had surgery, missed games, and then was going getting up to speed.

If the Bills draft Kyler Gordon, Trent McDuffie, Andrew Booth or Dax Hill, you would think they could see a lot of playing time early.

The benchmark in the NFL for years has been if you get 3 good starters out of 7 picks, you did well.

Even if you go back to the Jim Kelly era, the Bills did draft well, but it was never more than 3 good ones per year.  Albeit guys like Josh Reed, Thurman Thomas, Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, etc were very impactful. 

I agree. We have the star QB. If they can get 2-3 solid starters per draft and sprinkle in some key free agents each off-season they can stay competitive for years. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.