Joe B. Von Miller article in the Athletic

10 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I agree with most of what you said, but I very vividly recall a play where Rousseau batted a ball and intercepted it from the right side against the Chiefs, so he’s played RDE before. I’m not basing this off that one play, but if I had to assume who would start at right end it would be Groot since he is the 2nd best end behind Miller.

He was on the left side of the defensive formation that play IIRC, going against the RT. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He was on the left side of the defensive formation that play IIRC, going against the RT. 

Wow, that’s my bad. Could have sworn the chiefs were driving to the opposite end zone and he was on the right side. Camera angles make everything fuzzy. Nonetheless, I think Rousseau would be the top candidate to move to the other side as he is the most talented end on the roster behind Von.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, Long Suffering Fan said:

Not to be blasphemous, but did we just add Bruce Smith?  Obviously, no.  No one was as good as Bruce, but did we just add something close?  I have that weird, excited feeling that the Bills fan in me tamps down with thoughts like - don't be a homer, don't get carried away - but there is a chance this could be really good.

Impossible to be Bruce Smith since the rules have changed and so have the restrictions imposed by NFLPA.

Bills had the BEST nutritionist in the business Rusty Jones (ask Bruce, he will tell you so) which made those offenses and defenses possible but the science of nutrition and training has evolved.  I do think however Von Miller would have been a terror on those Superbowl era teams.

On 4/5/2022 at 12:12 PM, unbillievable said:

We got Bruce Smith from Washington, not Buffalo.

Miller just turned 33 years old.  Bruce went to Washington at 37 years old.  Bruce made the pro bowl and had double digit sacks at age 33, 34, and 35.  Terrible comparison.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:11 PM, RunTheBall said:

Not really. It was pretty clear he meant we are getting the Redskins version of Bruce.

The Von signing was perfect in so many ways. 1) He’s still a force, he can finish 2) We’ve got young guys who need to develop and Von will be instrumental in teaching them 3) His snaps will definitely be limited in the regular season and then unleashed in the playoffs. This is a no brainer and will allow the young guys to develop and Von to extend is career. If we’ve got an important game or want to continue to beat down the Pats*, his snap count will skyrocket in that particular game.

I’d love to see Jerry back on a minimum contract to man that RDE spot. Not sure that’s gonna happen because there are only so many snaps to go around and we’ve got 2-3 young DEs who need to start playing more.

You make three great points. I would add a 4th: we didn't give up ANY precious assets to get him (Vs. Los Angeles who gave up a 2nd and 3rd round draft picks for what ended up being a 2 month rental. A LOT to like here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/5/2022 at 2:39 PM, billybrew1 said:

I don’t care what anybody says. He lost his world class explosion and that means he’s human now. If we can’t seriously help him with pressure in the middle, pressure from the other side, the right blitz calls, he’s going to have a hard time being an impact player.

He needs help. Only a young Von Miller or a Bruse Smith can do it alone. Groot, Epenesa and Basham need to really step up. Those new DTS WE SIGNED need to be impactful…Then and only then will Von fly….

Actually, while I wouldn't say he wasn't explosive...his jumping numbers at 246 pounds weren't world class.

What made him an elite pass-rushing prospect was his change of direction skills. His 3-cone and shuttle were better than most corners. This goes hand-in-hand with what Joe B. is saying...his balance and overall athleticism is just insane. He hasn't lost that, and it's a skill set that ages better than pure explosive guys like a Shawn Merriman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.