Bills FA so far (using Sal C. tables)

Hapless Bills Fan

5 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Dane Jackson looked  good enough last year to hold onto CB2. Neal and McCloud also looked decent.

The Bills just need depth at LB, OL, and CB, But they have solid starters at every position except Punter.

I'm expecting the bills to draft a Punter, no later than the 5th, but could be 3rd/4th.

I like really having Jackson on the team as our 4th CB.  I’m also perfectly good with him starting while Tre gets healthy, but I don’t want to go into the season with him as our CB2 behind Tre. IMO the Bills need someone in front of him, not behind him. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m looking at Harrison Phillips and Butler being swapped out for Jones and Settle.  Harrison washes with Jones and Settle is an upgrade over anyone else we had at DT.  It’s definitely a gain at DT3.  That’s offset by the loss at CB2. 

Jones is better than Phillips 

18 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Jones is better than Phillips 

Based on what?   Contracts don’t paint that picture.  AAV is $7M vs $6.5M, but Phillips gets an extra year and more guaranteed money.  That is very even.  I don’t see either in the top 100 on any free agent list.  Phillips is better against the run than Jones while Jones is a bit more balanced.  If it’s not a push, it’s very close.

16 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Let's remember this conversation and rewind to it later when the smoke has cleared.

The conversation is in the present though.  Right now signing Miller has strengthened the CB's.  When they sign one and/or draft one is a separate conversation for that time.  Then the results of those decisions is another one.  

On 3/24/2022 at 6:25 AM, Shaw66 said:

Yes, and if you listen to Beane's public comments, he made it very clear that although the Bills got the kind of pressure they wanted last season, they didn't have "finishers," meaning guys who would get the sacks.  Clearly, Miller is a finisher, and we know Phillips is.  Phillips was better when he was with the Bills than any 3T the Bills had last season.  And, as you say, Phillips obviously wasn't their first choice.  They clearly think they got better, much better. 

And he repeatedly said that one reason they wanted Miller was that he likes teaching the young players, and they think he will make the three young DEs better.    

I think the Dline has been upgraded significantly.    Interestingly, however, at least in Miami, it would seem that the NFL is shifting toward the quick-release game.  If that's a true trend, then the Bills looking for finishers puts them behind the curve, because no one finishes when the QB throws it in 2.2 seconds.  

Personally, I think the quick passing game has limitations.   I like McDermott's approach, which is to attack as much of the field as possible.  That means you need a guy with a big arm, and that's not Tua.  

Agree with about all of this. 

Maybe all of it, because with two Phillipses, J. and H., all of this discussion has become more confusing.

But I'm less hopeful about J. Phillips than many here. He had a ton of sacks that one year, more than he has had before or since. I tend towards thinking it's just statistical variance more than a perfect scheme fit. He had one and three-quarters years here. 

2018 BUF 12 games 36% snaps 268 snaps ... 0 sacks

2019 16 games 52% snaps 543 snaps ... 9.5 sacks

My best guess is/was statistical variance. Could be wrong, of course. I hope so.

Sorry for the long delay on this reply. I had surgery for a smashed wrist bone. Just out of hosp, but looks good. Still typing one-handed. Just seeing this thread again.

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agree with about all of this. 

Maybe all of it, because with two Phillipses, J. and H., all of this discussion has become more confusing.

But I'm less hopeful about J. Phillips than many here. He had a ton of sacks that one year, more than he has had before or since. I tend towards thinking it's just statistical variance more than a perfect scheme fit. He had one and three-quarters years here. 

2018 BUF 12 games 36% snaps 268 snaps ... 0 sacks

2019 16 games 52% snaps 543 snaps ... 9.5 sacks

My best guess is/was statistical variance. Could be wrong, of course. I hope so.

Sorry for the long delay on this reply. I had surgery for a smashed wrist bone. Just out of hosp, but looks good. Still typing one-handed. Just seeing this thread again.

Thurm!   Sorry to hear about your problem   For a man who loves his keyboard, that's really tough.   I hope it's going okay.  

I'll tell you that I didn't look at Jordan Philips' stats, and I haven't seen him play, except when he happened to be matched up with the Bills.  But I have relatively high hopes for him (even knowing that he could get cut coming out of preseason).  Here's why:

It's all about the process.   When he left, the Bills wanted him back and he wanted to be back, but they couldn't make the money work.  That tells me he bought into the process, both from his point of view and the Bills.   So, I think those 9.5 sacks were less likely to be aberrational than you might think.   I think Philips chased the payday, something which neither McDermott nor I begrudge him.  But now he's been paid something in the neighborhood of $20 million playing pro football, and if he's been smart about it, he has $5-$10 million in the bank.  He's set for life.  

I'm guessing he actually believes that Buffalo is the place where he can play the best football of his life (that's actually been true, so far in his career), and I think it's likely that he's decided that's what he wants and needs now.  He seems not to have been holding out for top dollar.  And he seems so committed to the Bills that he recruited Shaq, too.  

Now, maybe his best seasons are behind, and maybe that one season was aberrational, but I think not.   I think it's much more likely that Beane and McDermott, knowing first hand what he can do, looked at the film of his last few seasons and concluded that teams weren't putting Phillips in positions to get the best out of him, and they know they can.  I think it's likely that in 2022 he's going to be like what he was in 2019 - a guy who gives the Bills serious production and who will present a problem for the Bills when the time comes around to re-signing him.  Chances are by then, given a second chance to consider staying or going, Phillips will understand that staying at a lower salary than he might get elsewhere is the better choice.   

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

'll tell you that I didn't look at Jordan Philips' stats, and I haven't seen him play, except when he happened to be matched up with the Bills.  But I have relatively high hopes for him (even knowing that he could get cut coming out of preseason).  Here's why:

It's all about the process.   When he left, the Bills wanted him back and he wanted to be back, but they couldn't make the money work.  That tells me he bought into the process, both from his point of view and the Bills.   So, I think those 9.5 sacks were less likely to be aberrational than you might think.   I think Philips chased the payday, something which neither McDermott nor I begrudge him.  But now he's been paid something in the neighborhood of $20 million playing pro football, and if he's been smart about it, he has $5-$10 million in the bank.  He's set for life.  

I'm guessing he actually believes that Buffalo is the place where he can play the best football of his life (that's actually been true, so far in his career), and I think it's likely that he's decided that's what he wants and needs now.  He seems not to have been holding out for top dollar.  And he seems so committed to the Bills that he recruited Shaq, too.  

Jordan Philips played out of position a lot which helped him getting sacks and stats for big contract but it left holes also which needed to be filled by others and sometimes resulted in big plays through those holes.  I know some like that for they do not like Bills' scheme but I hope this is addressed adjust scheme where it makes sense and adjusting Jordan when it doesn't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.