Jeff Fisher Takes Michigan Panthers HC Job (USFL)

BuffaloBillyG

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There were other teams as well:

Washington Federals

Oklahoma Outlaws (from Arizona)

Arizona Wranglers

Los Angeles Express

San Antonio Gunslingers

Denver Gold

Chicago Blitz (coached by none other than Marv Levy)

Hank Bullough was supposed to be the Pittsburgh Maulers head coach in 1985 but the team folded and Hank joined the Bills staff under Kay Stephenson in January 1985 instead, replaced Kay during the 1985 season & was replaced by Marv in 1986.  

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Close. But all USFL team colors and logos are based on their original 80's looks.

Maybe. But there's on huge difference with this spring league: it's owned by Fox Sports. Not a bunch of guys looking for TV money to survive.

we heard the same thing last time---Vince McMahon has tons of money to float the XFL reboot.  COVID put that mess out of it's misery.

Fox is flush with cash so it's put in a minority stake in this reboot of the USFL

round and round it goes, all always arriving at the same place--junk heap.

saturate the market with inferior products,   people will just care less about the whole.

least CFL is different enough from the NFL to be somewhat entertaining.

Arena League, XFL,  all the gimmicks didnt help them due to the terrible football.   Hell,  even the NFL has a terrible football problem each week,  half the teams in the league are unwatchable and thats with the best players.

also,  back on topic,  F Jeff Fisher.

Edited by bigduke6

Remember the "world league of american football" with the Frankfurt Galaxy, London Monarchs, and Barcelona Dragons in it?   

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I looked up the USFL teams through the years (I have a USFL file with newspaper & magazine clippings in an envelope and the two published USFL Guides and Registers).  The final year, 1986, which was never played had the following teams: Baltimore Stars, New Jersey Generals, Orlando Renegades, Tampa Bay Bandits, Birmingham Stallions, Arizona Outlaws, Jacksonville Bulls, and Memphis Showboats. 

Of the teams with cities/nicknames that were gone by 1986 that the USFL will be using, the Pittsburgh Maulers played 1 season, 1984, the Michigan Panthers played in 1983 & 1984 then were folded into the Oakland Invaders for 1985 and the entire team folded before the proposed 1986 season,  There was only one season of the New Orleans Breakers, 1984, for 1983 they were the Boston Breakers and played as the Portland Breakers in 1985 before folding.  The Houston Gamblers played in 1984 and 1985 and for 1986 were folded into the New Jersey Generals who went to camp with both Flutie & Kelly as their QBs.  Finally the Philadelphia Stars played in Philadelphia in 1983 and 1984 then moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Stars and were among the teams that stuck it out until the end.  

Holy cow you are like a scholar/historian of USFL football!

Digging through your personal archives and what not!

👏

s-l300.jpg

s-l400.jpg

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Holy cow you are like a scholar/historian of USFL football!

Digging through your personal archives and what not!

👏

I'm also an ABA historian.  Went to a lot of ABA games in my teens.  I have a bunch of stuff published on the website "Remember the ABA".  

I was living in Suffolk County NY during the USFL years.  My big regret is I never went to the Meadowlands for a USFL game and my biggest regret is not going to the final game, the USFL Championship played in NJ.   One day I was in my car listening to a Generals/Houston Gamblers game and Jim Kelly suffered a knee injury in the  1st half.  The announcers were speculating he'd be out for weeks.  The 2nd half starts & Jimbo is out there still playing.  That's when I learned how tough Kelly is.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.