Go get Vic Fangio

SACTOBILLSFAN

On 1/24/2022 at 5:26 AM, bmur66 said:

And how has that philosophy been working for him?

Extremely well.  Obviously this is an offense-first roster, but our defense was good enough to get the AFCCG last year and right back to the same opponent this year.  (Yes, it was a divisional game, but that was just an unlucky draw -- if we played the Bengals last week and lost the exact same game the exact same way to the Chiefs this week, nobody would be talking about this being a step backwards or whatever).  

Do I wish our defense had played better against Mahomes?  Sure.  Probably most Monday mornings, there is a DC somewhere in the league waking up wishing that his defense had played better against Mahomes.  I'm sure KC wishes that their defense had played better against Allen.  I'm sure NE feels that way too.  So what?  Superstar QBs with talent-rich offenses will sometimes make good defenses look ridiculous.  It happens.  Freaking out over one such instance is a textbook example of a wild overreaction to one result.

20 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Extremely well.  Obviously this is an offense-first roster, but our defense was good enough to get the AFCCG last year and right back to the same opponent this year.  (Yes, it was a divisional game, but that was just an unlucky draw -- if we played the Bengals last week and lost the exact same game the exact same way to the Chiefs this week, nobody would be talking about this being a step backwards or whatever).  

Do I wish our defense had played better against Mahomes?  Sure.  Probably most Monday mornings, there is a DC somewhere in the league waking up wishing that his defense had played better against Mahomes.  I'm sure KC wishes that their defense had played better against Allen.  I'm sure NE feels that way too.  So what?  Superstar QBs with talent-rich offenses will sometimes make good defenses look ridiculous.  It happens.  Freaking out over one such instance is a textbook example of a wild overreaction to one result.

Not just one result. How many close games did this “no. 1”defense step up to win this year?

For a team that is supposedly engineered to beat KC the defense couldn’t get a hand on or contain Mahomes. Neither. Obviously the defense was not up to the challenge in the final seconds when they had multiple chances to shut the door. Why not? We’re they gassed? We’re they not prepared? Do they need better players? We’re they not put in the proper position? I don’t know but I don’t see how the Bills offense could get much better and I don’t see KC getting worse so how does this team improve?

On 1/24/2022 at 3:52 AM, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

McDermott's defense is fine, but I think it can be too vanilla and without Tre it simply wasn't good enough at the corners to hold down the first passing offense they faced with a pulse since his injury. It's one thing to sit in a 2 deep shell when you have a top 3 DB locking down half of the field, but when that's the only trick you have, it gets exposed if that DB depth is tested. 

With Josh's cap hit about to jump you can't go out and spend a ridiculous amount on defense because you have to make sure you surround your franchise player with talent and protection. However, if they go make Fangio the highest paid coordinator in football and let him re-imagine this defense I think it can actually be elite. This is clearly a Super Bowl roster but they need to give themselves more of a shot against Mahomes because he's not going anywhere either. 

It would also be nice if McDermott pulled his head out and stopped surrendering with punts on 4th and 2 from the 45 when the opponent hasn't stopped Josh Allen all night, but that's another topic. 

Not going to happen. If Frazier leaves we're getting a Tampa 2 guy.

Let's not kid ourselves. We were never really a #1 defense. And other then the last few games,  the OL was bad. I saw Ingram throw Spencer to the ground like he was 100 lbs last Sunday. The Jags loss destroyed our season. We host 3 playoff games if we don't lose to Jacksonville. I don't know if Fangio is the answer.  It's not likely McD switches to a 3-4. But if Frazier leaves and I'm praying he does,  we somehow need better pass rushers and a more aggressive style.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:05 AM, SACTOBILLSFAN said:

Fangio isn't a "very good" DC, he's one of the two best in the sport imo. His scheme also give Mahomes as much trouble as a scheme can give him. It's probably not realistic because it would challenge many things McDermott has done as a DC in his career and I'm not sure he's up for that. However, Fangio does run a 2 high shell most of the time, doesn't blitz much, but he varies the fronts and where pressure comes from down to down. With the cap situation going forward it might be the best shot at building a defense to beat Mahomes, but it's more of a pipe dream than anything I bet. 

It shouldn’t be a pipe dream if this team truly wants to get to another level. Frazier has had his opportunity vs KC and has basically no answers for them or for any other elite offense for that matter. 

Vic Fangio has shown an ability to get the best out of less and take talented players and make them all pro. He’s a talent developer and would be a great fit in this organization.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.