(ot)Derby Fever

Actually, it's 1918. He has 4 lifetime races with 3 wins. His Illinois Derby win was so impressive and hunch bets have always been my biggest winners. Rarely ever bet chalks. I haven't bet a horse in many months but I'll indulge today.

I'll be driving the extra 10 minutes to Buffalo Raceway this morning to make my bet. They pay track odds and I avoid the massive OTB takeout,if my miracle bet comes in ( betting to win and place ) . Greeleys Galaxys' current odds are 25-1.  I'd much rather lose betting a longshot ( and I probably will )  :(

Good luck to all .

330919[/snapback]

After further review I have moved Noble Causeway up on my list.

I still have High Limit on top (with hopes he'll get the distance). My second tier is now Noble Causeway, Don't Get Mad (I think I'm the only one on the planet that thinks he could run a big race) and Bellamy.

My main knock on Galaxy is that Mr. Greeley usually produces sprinters. He does have a few out there that have been able to go further. Greeley's Galaxy's form looks like War Emblem's did coming in. I thought War Emblem was destined for last lace in the Derby. :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright, already down 40 bucks on the Oaks/Derby double.Had the City and Zitos horse wheel over Bellamy, not a good start to the weekend

Hearing that Afleet is now the favorite at 7-2, with BR at 4-1. WooHoo, hope he keeps going up. If he goes to 5-1, may have to make a trip back to the OTB.

Good luck everyone on your bets today.

This is a totally fact/knowledge-free pick. I usually do a bit of research before picking...but, this year no time (or $ to bet, for that matter).

As a fan of John Fante...

BANDINI!

It is Spring, after all.

A  nine thousand $ exacta and a six figure tri!!! :o

331174[/snapback]

Favorite posts in this thread:

"This race is a favorite killer"

Giacomo... "10 Giacomo–Breeding says no, eligible for nw1 other than"

All top four were at 20-1 or worse!

Somebody say they seen this coming and made mint on it?

Check out these numbers!

Win: Giacomo, $102.60, second highest. Record: $184.90 by Donerail, 1913.

Place: Closing Argument, $70.00. Old record: $53.00 by Royal Mustang, 1951.

Exacta: First two finishers in exact order; Giacomo-Closing Argument -- $9,814.80. Old record: $1,300.80, 2002.

Trifecta: First three finishers in exact order; Giacomo-Closing Argument-Afleet Alex -- $133,134.80. Old record: $18,373.20, 2002.

Superfecta: First four finishers in exact order; Giacomo-Closing Argument-Afleet Alex-Don't Get Mad -- $864,253.50. Old record: $91,764.50, 2002.

1.8 million on a 2 dollar SuperFecta bet! :doh::blink:

What a race...terrific last quarter.

Great race. I know of one person who pick the winner! I did not see to many smiling faces at Buffalo Raceway yesterday after the race.

331368[/snapback]

You are pretty close to the raceway... Probably busy!

Buffalo raceway always reminds me of my grandfather. When I was young, before OTB... My grandfather lived with us. He wanted my mother to drive from South Cheektowaga to Hamburg and place a 10 dollar bet... She was washing the floor and said "Dad, keep your money... It won't come in!" She went on with her work, never placing the wager... Guess what... IT CAME IN!

HE NEVER LET HER FORGET IT! :o

I got it!!!!! that is I got lots of stuff to put in thr bottom of the bird cage.Unbelievable. Told my wife you could have given me a $10,000 bankroll, and I still would have never had those horses.

Oh well, the party was great. good time had by all.

I got it!!!!! that is I got lots of stuff to put in thr bottom of the bird cage.Unbelievable. Told my wife you could have given me a $10,000 bankroll, and I still would have never had those horses.

Oh well, the party was great. good time had by all.

331375[/snapback]

You would have been telling that to the divorce court judge? A mumbling mess as your wife and judge strip you of your financial dignity!

:o:doh:

If you went on the theory that the pace would be super hot (plausible before the race and it turned out that way), you could have come up with the winner.

He was a closer going into a race with a stretch longer than any he had run on. He had an excuse or two during his career and some good horses (Ferdinand, Alysheba come to mind) did not look like world beaters coming into the derby. I'm not saying it was an easy choice, but it was plausible.

Staying with the closer theory you could have had Afleet Alex and Don't Get Mad without much of a problem (I had both of them on my list of contenders and put Don't Get Mad in my top 4).

The hard part to me was Closing Argument.

It isn't a bad strategy to settle on how you think the race will be run and pick your horses after that. If you lose, you lose anyway, but this way you wouldn't have tickets mixing closers and speed horses. Of course the result could have a mix of those types, but if you went with the closers yesterday the reward potential was huge.

playing a super that wheeled the 3 closers and played all the horses in the other postitions would have cost $408. It returned 880k.

10,12/17/10,12, 17/10, 12, 17/all the rest

10,12,17/10,12,7/all/10, 12,17

10, 12, 17/all/10, 12, 17/10,12, 17

all/10, 12, 17/10, 12, 17/10, 12, 17

That would have meant tossing out closers Sun King and Noble Causeway.

This is a totally fact/knowledge-free pick.  I usually do a bit of research before picking...but, this year no time (or $ to bet, for that matter).

As a fan of John Fante...

BANDINI!

It is Spring, after all.

331020[/snapback]

Bandini? :o

Finished 19th in a 20-hourse field. What a dumb-ass this guy is.

I guess I'll stick to just reading John Fante.

Last post for me on this topic. The Today show had on the winners of the super, and they asked what they would be doing with the winnings. Standard replies about paying bills and traveling, but the one guy said, "as a matter of fact, I am on my way to the Borgata today. Now thats a gambler. Ya hit a big one, lets see if we can parlay the sum B word.

Good for him, a man after my own heart

If you went on the theory that the pace would be super hot (plausible before the race and it turned out that way), you could have come up with the winner.

He was a closer going into a race with a stretch longer than any he had run on.  He had an excuse or two during his career and some good horses (Ferdinand, Alysheba come to mind) did not look like world beaters coming into the derby.  I'm not saying it was an easy choice, but it was plausible. 

Staying with the closer theory you could have had Afleet Alex and Don't Get Mad without much of a problem (I had both of them on my list of contenders and put Don't Get Mad in my top 4).

The hard part to me was Closing Argument.

It isn't a bad strategy to settle on how you think the race will be run and pick your horses after that.  If you lose, you lose anyway, but this way you wouldn't have tickets mixing closers and speed horses.  Of course the result could have a mix of those types, but if you went with the closers yesterday the reward potential was huge.

playing a super that wheeled the 3 closers and played all the horses in the other postitions would have cost $408.  It returned 880k.

10,12/17/10,12, 17/10, 12, 17/all the rest

10,12,17/10,12,7/all/10, 12,17

10, 12, 17/all/10, 12, 17/10,12, 17

all/10, 12, 17/10, 12, 17/10, 12, 17

That would have meant tossing out closers Sun King and Noble Causeway.

331386[/snapback]

I think I'm going to do that from here on out for all the triple crown races.

Would the average superfecta still cover that cost?