Lets be honest here about 2005

Here is the bottom line, IMHO:

If JP can play, we will make the playoffs. The D and the ST (except for Lindell) are both outstanding, as are the RB and WR positions.

The Pats are still absolutely the best team in the league. That puts us in the wild card race with the Jets, Ravens and Broncos. The Chiefs, Bengals and Jaguars could make a push into the picture, but I think they are a notch below.

Of course, if JP doesn't deliver, this is moot. And there is just no way to know the answer to that critical question until they start playing the games. So why am I spending so much GD time on these boards in May?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Bills are unproven at QB and the OL is still a question mark, and the schedule this year is tougher from top to bottom IMO, but to break this down easier, can the Bills make the playoffs in this conference?

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

Look at these teams like KC and Baltimore, they are MUCH improved in areas where they need to improve, and Baltimore's schedule last year was unforgiving, I doubt they miss the playoffs this year. This conference is loaded!

Point is teams like J-Ville, Cincy, and Kansas City has all the reason, if not more, reason to be optimistic about the 2005 season.

I think the playoffs is a long shot in 2005.

Flame away

326510[/snapback]

If the Bills have an average performance at QB then they'll be a 10-6 team. I fully expect Losman to at least be average (I actually think he'll have an above average year).

Your selling our team waaaaaay short there bud. Of the teams you listed I don't see one of them that has a better defense, special teams or runningback. Long shot??????? You need to take another look at the Bills roster.

If they stay healthy, the Buffalo Bills snag at least a wildcard in 2005, maybe even the division.

If the Bills have an average performance at QB then they'll be a 10-6 team. I fully expect Losman to at least be average (I actually think he'll have an above average year).

Of the teams you listed I don't see one of them that has a better defense, special teams or runningback. Long shot??????? You need to take another look at the Bills roster.

326622[/snapback]

So you dont think the Ravens defense, who has PROVEN to shut down top offenses many more times then the Bills defense has, isnt better???

I like Buffalo's defense, but lets be fair here, if you had to choose defenses, you wouldnt take Baltimore over Buffalo's???

So you dont think the Ravens defense, who has PROVEN to shut down top offenses many more times then the Bills defense has, isnt better???

I like Buffalo's defense, but lets be fair here, if you had to choose defenses, you wouldnt take Baltimore over Buffalo's???

326624[/snapback]

Last year's D stats:

Team Yards Rush Y/R Pass QB Sack 3rd% Poss. Pts.

BUF 263.7 100.2 3.60 163.4 62.40 46 36.0 29:39 17.8

BAL 300.2 105.1 3.58 195.1 65.93 39 34.1 30:38 16.8

326624[/snapback]

I like ours better, they're more balanced. It's very close though. I looked at their 2004 schedule and the Ravens did not face many juggernuat offenses in 2004:

3-20 L at CLE

30-13 W PIT

23-9 W at CIN

24-27 L KC great offense

17-10 W at WAS

20-6 W BUF

10-15 Lat PHI

27-13 W CLE

20-17 W at NYJ

30-10 W DAL

3-24 L at NE great offense

26-27 L CIN

37-14 W NYG

10-20 L at IND great offense

7-20 L at PIT

30-23 W MIA

...and of those great offenses they did not keep any of them under 20 points.

Last year's D stats:

Team  Yards  Rush  Y/R  Pass  QB  Sack  3rd%  Poss.  Pts.

BUF  263.7  100.2  3.60  163.4  62.40  46  36.0  29:39  17.8

BAL  300.2  105.1  3.58  195.1  65.93  39  34.1  30:38  16.8

326629[/snapback]

Baltimore played KC, Indy, Pitt twice, at NE, Cincy twice (with Palmer, big difference) at Philly....

Bills defense is very good, but stats are stats. Im sorry but give me the Ravens D if I need to win 1 game before Buffalo's/

Baltimore played KC, Indy, Pitt twice, at NE, Cincy twice (with Palmer, big difference) at Philly....

Bills defense is very good, but stats are stats.  Im sorry but give me the Ravens D if I need to win 1 game before Buffalo's/

326642[/snapback]

Cincinatti??????? Pittsburgh???????? These are not "great" offenses, not by a mile. :w00t: You should be sorry, the Bills have the better defense. You give credit to the lousy AFC North teams while giving our's a slap in the face. The AFC East is were "real" football is played.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. Parity baby! Every team has a chance. Our Bills have some weapons and smart coaches, no reason to think they can't catch some breaks and get hot. Every season a couple of teams everyone thought would kick ass end up sucking, and a couple of teams everyone thought would suck end up kicking ass.

I agree Clements. I see no way the Bills make the playoffs this year. JP needs patience from the fans. Is he going to be Harrington or Rothlisberger? We've got a lot going for us in 2006 though.

Follow Donahoe's lead and just wait another year.

Last year's D stats:

Team  Yards  Rush  Y/R  Pass  QB  Sack  3rd%  Poss.  Pts.

BUF  263.7  100.2  3.60  163.4  62.40  46  36.0  29:39  17.8

BAL  300.2  105.1  3.58  195.1  65.93  39  34.1  30:38  16.8

326629[/snapback]

We played the NFC West(SF, Arizona, Seattle, and St Louis) , not exactly a powerhouse of offenses there. Plus we played Miami twice.

We played the NFC West(SF, Arizona, Seattle, and St Louis) , not exactly a powerhouse of offenses there.  Plus we played Miami twice.

326671[/snapback]

Seattle and St. Louis have very good offenses.

Cincinatti??????? Pittsburgh???????? These are not "great" offenses, not by a mile. :w00t:  You should be sorry, the Bills have the better defense. You give credit to the lousy AFC North teams while giving our's a slap in the face. The AFC East is were "real" football is played.

326653[/snapback]

Where did I mention Cincy's offense was "great"? Nowhere did I mention that in this thread...I just mentioned the teams I mentioned because they have good offenses at worst..do not put words in my posts.

And Baltimore also improved on the offensive side of the ball as well, Im telling you right now Id be shocked if Baltimore DIDNT make the playoffs in 2005.

And I HATE the Ravens

The Bills were a playoff team last year, if it weren't for the anchor from the S.S. Bledsoe dragging us down! Personally I think the whole "inexperienced QB" thing is a cop out. That's an excuse people use for QB's who suck. You either have it or you don't. Being an inexperienced QB didn't seem to hurt Ben Rothlisberger or Tom Brady. JP Losman could break BOTH legs and still be more mobile that Drew Bledsoe!

As far as the O-line goes, we lost ONE guy...ONE!!! And we brought in a plethora of FA and Rookie linemen, and we have the best OL coach in the business.

We also had the #2 Defense in the NFL last year. Yeah we lost ONE guy (ONE!!!) Don't try to tell me Pat Williams was the heart-and soul of the defense either. And let's not forget the best Special Teams in the NFL...yep, OUR BILLS!!

The problem with your arguement is that you assume every worst-case scenario, without allowing for a few best-case scenarios. The truth usually falls in the middle. So I am very confident the Bills will be a playoff team, and it would not shock me if they one a game or two!

Flame away!

PTR

Seattle and St. Louis have very good offenses.

326672[/snapback]

They were #6 and #8. Not exactly great.

Denver was actually higher, and we did play them. But we also played B'more who had the second worst offense in the league. \

It's all relative. The point is a few yards here and there. B'more defense really is as good as ours on paper or not. What killed there defense was their offense was a lot worse than ours which is difficult to believe but true.

HONESTY = PESSIMISM....didn't you get the memo?

You are a "negative nancy"... No one wants honesty here... only fantasy.

326682[/snapback]

You have it wrong. PESSIMISM = PESSIMISM. OPTIMISM = OPTIMISM. HONESTY doesn't play into it until there is something to be honest about!

PTR

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

326510[/snapback]

The Bills can be right in the playoff mix IF...

JP can give us solid play at the QB position

and

Somebody can step up to the plate at the LT position

Even the top 3 in your list have question marks...

NE...Who's going to replace Bruschi & Law

PIT....Who's going to replace Burress

IND....Is their defense any better this year

To be honest, it is VERY difficult for me to gauge exactly how good this team will be this year. After all, last year we were 9-7, but we were in EVERY game, except for the Sunday night New Englad debacle. From that standpoint, we were certainly not as bad as the 0-4 start.

On the flip side of the coin, our easy schedule down the stretch also probably inflates our late-season record. Meanwhile, the Week 17 home loss at the hands of Pittsburgh's scrubs made it abundantly clear that we were not in the same class as the elite teams in the conference.

Pity for us that the NFC sucked last year, while the AFC was loaded with many good teams, of which we just happened to be one of them.

Here are the questions that I think need to be answered...

1. Losman is off to a good start -- but what happens when he faces real defenders in a game situation? And just how durable is he? We saw him withstand a beating at Tulane -- but we also saw him break his leg on the slightest of contact last year.

2. Clearly the offense was our weak link last season. What wrinkles will Mularkey thrown in this year that we didn't see with the Bledsoe-scaled down playbook? What will the depth chart at WR look like? Will we have a healthy TE by training camp?

3. How will the LT position pan out? Is TD's lack of attention here because he trusts that McNally can work miracles? Has McNally sold him on a player currently on the team at the positon (Gandy, Peters)? Or, is it strictly a business decision on TD's part?

4. The real turning point last year was when Henry was benched in favor of Willis. With Willis the uncontested starter, can he ignite that spark from day one? Also, despite Willis' strong production, he still only managed 4.0 yards per carry, which is barely average by league standards. Will he be even better now with two full years removed from knee surgery? Can the OL open better holes for him? Is Mike Williams ready to become the elite RT he's being paid to be?

5. Can Lindell consitently make good on 40+ yard field goals?

6. Aside from Lindell, the Special Teams were a real strength last year. What impact will Roscoe Parrish have as the potentially new Punt Returner? And will the coverage unit continue to excel?

7. Last year the already top-ranked defense became more opportunistic in terms of turnovers -- and placed our odious offense in a position to succeed. Was the amazing turnaround from 2003 to 2004 (in turnovers) a by-product of Jerry Gray's more aggressive style of play? Or did the ball simply bounce our way more often?

8. What impact will losing Big Pat have? Will Anderson/Edwards be up to the challenge?

9. With a relatively (on paper at least) easy opening schedule, can we win some of those games that we are supposed to win to build momentum and gear up for the rougher portions of the schedule? After all, the Week 1 loss to Jacksonville (oneof those games we were "supposed to win") last season is what truly sealed our fate.

10. How much will the coaching staff improve? MM now has a year under his belt and will need to show that he can go head-to-head with the Belichicks and Cowhers of the league.

The Bills can beat the Jets. I really think they will falter early and often this year. They are my pick for bomb of the year.

Buffalo's secondary may be one of the few in the entire league that will be able to match up well against the Raiders amazing receiving corps.

The Bills have to at least split the seried with NE this year.  KC and Diego are going to be tough.

The Panthers' game will be won on defense.

I'm hoping to come out of this stretch winning three.

326611[/snapback]

The bills will win all home games this year. Then it will only be a case of winning 3 on the road to get in. The running game early in the season with a solid defense will get us the start we need, giving JP time to mature as big ben did last year.