How would you play this LEGO disaster?

TheCockSportif

I've always been into LEGOs.  It's this quirk that has followed me deep into adulthood (although, full disclosure, I do not have a room filled with LEGOs at the house).  My sister won the (Christmas) gift day yesterday by buying the LEGO (world) map for my wife and me.

When talking to the family yesterday afternoon, my nephew informed me that LEGO also has these kits where you can build muscle cars and so on.  Mind blown.  So I looked it up today, and there are several sets that look pretty interesting and fun to build in that LEGO collection.

And then I found it.  The Titanic.  The mother*****ing Titanic.  Look at it sitting there, all in placid calm, just sitting there on a display stand as if nothing happened.  I would build this model a lot differently.  How would you build it?

Someone whispers to me, "there's a game on."  Oh, right!  Back to that!

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I've always been into LEGOs.  It's this quirk that has followed me deep into adulthood (although, full disclosure, I do not have a room filled with LEGOs at the house).  My sister won the (Christmas) gift day yesterday by buying the LEGO (world) map for my wife and me.

When talking to the family yesterday afternoon, my nephew informed me that LEGO also has these kits where you can build muscle cars and so on.  Mind blown.  So I looked it up today, and there are several sets that look pretty interesting and fun to build in that LEGO collection.

And then I found it.  The Titanic.  The mother*****ing Titanic.  Look at it sitting there, all in placid calm, just sitting there on a display stand as if nothing happened.  I would build this model a lot differently.  How would you build it?

Someone whispers to me, "there's a game on."  Oh, right!  Back to that!

It sounds like you are an AFOL (adult fan of lego) who has just emerged out of his dark ages (time period where you stopped paying attention to Lego because you grew up).

Right now is, by far, the best era in the history of Lego.

There are a TON of sets made purely for adults now, and some of them are mind blowing.

There are no less than 3 epic Star Wars sets available now, at the same time, in the $800/$900 range.

Go to the lego website, and sort your search for "everything" based on highest price first.

The most expensive stuff is the best stuff.

The "typewriter" currently available is awesome.  As is the Titanic, AT-AT, Millennium Falcon, most of the modular buildings, and on and on.

Have you seen the colosseum yet?

02-Lego-collosseum-Rotation-GIF.gif

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Yeah, the coliseum is pretty awesome.  I'm kinda into the Millenium Falcon as well.

The new MF is, in my book (and lots of others too) probably the #1 coolest/best Lego set ever made--so far.  It's right up there at the top.  

The brand new AT-AT is also extremely well done.

By the way, if you have some cash lying around, buy 2 of all these "mega sets".  Open one, build it, enjoy it.  Put the other in a dark closet and don't touch it--don't break the seals on it. 

When these sets go EOL (end of line; discontinued by Lego) they'll double in value, fairly quickly.

Might take 3, 4, or 5 years for Lego to discontinue, but this scheme works pretty well.

The idea being that the profit made on the "closet" investment kit pays for the one you buy, play with, and keep.

There is even an entire website/forum dedicated to "investing" or professionally buying/selling Lego! 

brickpicker.com

Have you seen this?

32 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The new MF is, in my book (and lots of others too) probably the #1 coolest/best Lego set ever made--so far.  It's right up there at the top.  

The brand new AT-AT is also extremely well done.

By the way, if you have some cash lying around, buy 2 of all these "mega sets".  Open one, build it, enjoy it.  Put the other in a dark closet and don't touch it--don't break the seals on it. 

When these sets go EOL (end of line; discontinued by Lego) they'll double in value, fairly quickly.

Might take 3, 4, or 5 years for Lego to discontinue, but this scheme works pretty well.

The idea being that the profit made on the "closet" investment kit pays for the one you buy, play with, and keep.

There is even an entire website/forum dedicated to "investing" or professionally buying/selling Lego! 

brickpicker.com

Have you seen this?

Our 12 year old nephew just told us about brickpicker.  Amazeballs.  Plus all of the LEGO stuff on YouTube.

I might invest in a couple of these sets.

About 20 years ago, after I had my first house built, my parents told me that I still had a lot of stuff left at their house.  Makes sense, given the itinerant nature of college habitation, and how I moved to Boston right after graduation from UB.  So from that I got Tonka stuff, GI Joe stuff (the 3.75" figures and tons of gear like a F-14 and so on), the original "squad" from the show Emergency!, LEGOs, and so on.  The only stuff that I kept was from Tonka and LEGOs.  My sister, when our nephews were old enough, asked if I still had LEGOs, and I would sit there with the boys and just build.  It's incredible that these sets from the 1970s and early 1980s still resonated with kids, and I forgot how much fun it was to create something out of nothing, and with LEGOs as the conduit.  Sure, I've created a lot of stuff since the LEGO days, but you get what I'm saying...

Thanks for the suggestion about sets.  I think that is a wise move, and I've seen what virginal stuff on ebay goes for, and that people actually buy it!

On 12/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, Nextmanup said:By the way, if you have some cash lying around, buy 2 of all these "mega sets".  Open one, build it, enjoy it.  Put the other in a dark closet and don't touch it--don't break the seals on it. 

Funny you bring that up.  One local TV news had this story about Lego sets just a day ago…

https://www.localsyr.com/news/national/lego-kits-could-be-better-investment-than-gold-researchers-say/

Edited by Just Jack

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Pretty expensive pieces of plastic.  

Cool stuff but price seems at least 5x what it should be.  

Companies been around forever.   Do they really need to charge this much to remain profitable ? 

True, and that's the reason why I divested from gaming a long time ago.  $50+ a pop was a thumbs down for me, no matter how cool the game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:28 PM, TheCockSportif said:

Our 12 year old nephew just told us about brickpicker.  Amazeballs.  Plus all of the LEGO stuff on YouTube.

I might invest in a couple of these sets.

About 20 years ago, after I had my first house built, my parents told me that I still had a lot of stuff left at their house.  Makes sense, given the itinerant nature of college habitation, and how I moved to Boston right after graduation from UB.  So from that I got Tonka stuff, GI Joe stuff (the 3.75" figures and tons of gear like a F-14 and so on), the original "squad" from the show Emergency!, LEGOs, and so on.  The only stuff that I kept was from Tonka and LEGOs.  My sister, when our nephews were old enough, asked if I still had LEGOs, and I would sit there with the boys and just build.  It's incredible that these sets from the 1970s and early 1980s still resonated with kids, and I forgot how much fun it was to create something out of nothing, and with LEGOs as the conduit.  Sure, I've created a lot of stuff since the LEGO days, but you get what I'm saying...

Thanks for the suggestion about sets.  I think that is a wise move, and I've seen what virginal stuff on ebay goes for, and that people actually buy it!

The secondary market for Lego at Ebay and a website called Bricklink is ENORMOUS.

All of my old Lego bricks are still in my mom's attic in Buffalo.  I have 2 nephews who are now in college, but who grew up in Buffalo playing with my Lego (and tons of their own too).

One of them built the jewel of my collection:  the "yellow castle" and it was fun to see it built at Xmas time some years ago, after having last seen in in like 1982.

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Pretty expensive pieces of plastic.  

Cool stuff but price seems at least 5x what it should be.  

Companies been around forever.   Do they really need to charge this much to remain profitable ? 

They charge a premium price but it's a premium product.

There are many knockoff brands out there at cheaper prices, but the pieces suck. 

They don't stay together, they're made from inferior plastic, and so on.

The thing that's great about Lego as a toy for a kid is that the kit you buy is just the beginning.

I spent about 99.9% of my time building my own creations/designs with my bricks.

There are entire websites/forums dedicated to making your own cool stuff out of Lego.

Anyway, I can't think of a more productive thing for a child to do, as compared to other toy options out there.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The secondary market for Lego at Ebay and a website called Bricklink is ENORMOUS.

All of my old Lego bricks are still in my mom's attic in Buffalo.  I have 2 nephews who are now in college, but who grew up in Buffalo playing with my Lego (and tons of their own too).

One of them built the jewel of my collection:  the "yellow castle" and it was fun to see it built at Xmas time some years ago, after having last seen in in like 1982.

SO TRUE, and so familiar!  I also have the "yellow castle" set, and I bet that all of the pieces will allow the dedicated builder to piece everything together, given that about 5 different sets (the 1970s base set, a late 1970s extender set, two rocketship sets, and the yellow castle) have ended up in the same plastic tubs, unsorted, over the years.

And I agree with you that the best part of LEGOs is tearing the base build down then riffing and creating your own things.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.