Questions on the Oculus Quest 2

Greybeard

I have been thinking about getting a VR headset for a while.  Since I was not sure if I would like them, I have delayed until now.  There are Black Friday deals on the Quest 2 and I find them real tempting.  Anyone here have any experience with these that they would like to share? 

I also wonder how much of an affect VR headsets have on making someone nauseous?  I cannot read in a moving car for more than a few minutes.

I have it, pretty cool for communicating with my son on the west coast, almost feels like you are in the room with the other person.  I'm not a big gamer so I can't speak to that. I also use it to "walk around" cities and places I want to travel to. For example, when looking at a hotel for an away game, I will drop myself there, then roam around the area to see what the place looks like, landmarks and shops/restaurants in the area. We also like to try out some of the 360 videos like the Blue Angels or ski trips in the alps. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know some folks that have them and love them. The couple of times I've tried it out, I was pretty impressed. Fun times. Cool stuff.

But I won't ever own an Oculus with their tie to Facebook. Especially with the requirement of having an active FB account in order for the device to work. Back a couple months ago when FB had the big outage, none of the Oculus devices were working either since FB was down.

Plus, I dont want to put anything over my head that is owned by FB. Once you put it on, they may never let you out! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Guffalo said:

I have it, pretty cool for communicating with my son on the west coast, almost feels like you are in the room with the other person.  I'm not a big gamer so I can't speak to that. I also use it to "walk around" cities and places I want to travel to. For example, when looking at a hotel for an away game, I will drop myself there, then roam around the area to see what the place looks like, landmarks and shops/restaurants in the area. We also like to try out some of the 360 videos like the Blue Angels or ski trips in the alps. 

Thanks for your response.  I don't really play computer games but wanted it for the same things you are using it for.   

On the Facebook requirement, I refuse to open an account, so I will use my wife's account.  Supposedly they are going to eliminate that requirement, supposedly. 

15 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Thanks for your response.  I don't really play computer games but wanted it for the same things you are using it for.   

On the Facebook requirement, I refuse to open an account, so I will use my wife's account.  Supposedly they are going to eliminate that requirement, supposedly. 

I saw that they are offering a $30 coupon if you get referred from someone, I think there may be a black Friday sale as well that may save you even more. 

9 hours ago, Guffalo said:

I saw that they are offering a $30 coupon if you get referred from someone, I think there may be a black Friday sale as well that may save you even more. 

It is really being marked down for Black Friday.  My original intent for posting was to offer who ever replied here the $30 coupon when I signed up.  As it turns out earlier this week I found out my son-in-law's nephew had one.  I never met him but two years ago he barely survived a DUI hit and run.  When I found out he had one, I offered it to him.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:56 AM, Guffalo said:

Just the other day, I watched an hour long video on Youtube where a guy just walked through a certain neighborhood in Tokyo, filming as he went along.  Never said a thing.  You could hear whatever sounds were in the area as he kept walking with a crowd of pedestrians.

It was really cool, kind of like being transported to Tokyo for an hour.

I would never have thought of doing what you are doing with the headset---walking around whatever interests you on the planet.  That's pretty cool.  I would enjoy that.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.