Daboll, modern day Run and Shoot?

Mikie2times

The run and shoot offense had it's proponents and many people who associated with it were looked at as offensive visionaries. It produced some gaudy numbers and legendary players. Certainly plenty of teams that ran it had success and at times were even lethal. Having said that, it never brought a Super Bowl or NCAA championship to a football team. It's dependency on the pass made it too inconsistent in handling all of the situations that occur over the course of a season. 

While this is a pass happy league, I feel as if Daboll and his offense is very similar to the run and shoot. Not as far as schematics, but as far as versatility and results. It can be very good, at times even lethal, but it lacks any attempt at consistency in the conventional running game.

It's one thing to abandon the run when you trail late or big. It's another to abandon it in a very tight defensive game when your passing offense is also failing. This is not like a normal run and shoot with an extremely efficient passing game, it is a big play passing team heavily dependent on Allen to break containment and stretch plays. It is completely one dimensional in regards to RB usage. We simply do not use them and it's incorrect to just sum up the reason as "well, the run game stinks".  You don't just run the ball for the purpose of gaining yards. You do so in order to slow down teams pass rush and generate play action. To help your offensive line. It's one thing to be unsure the pass is coming, another to think it's not, and another to know it is.

We are putting teams in a position where they know and it's with an offensive strategy largely dependent on QB improvisation across huge amounts of passing attempts. Once in awhile after a game like this Daboll will real it back in. Give the RB's 20 rushes, but his character is that of an addict with passing the center of his addiction. He can make it a week or two but relapse is inevitable. He has shown no ability to consistently acknowledge that balance in the game of football matters. History is not on his side with such an attitude.      

Well, I'm not sold that everyone has figures us out. We're still near the top of the league in points scored. But I will agree that we have become is very predictable. Especially in the run game; that is, what little we have of it. When Josh lines up under center, 90% of the time it is a run. We all see it, certainly defensive coordinators see it. The other issue about our run game is RPO. This became quite apparent in the late fumble play. My take is, Josh Allen (who I love as our QB) just doesn't execute the RPO very well. And in general, the RPO have not been that productive for us. I believe the reason is the mind is made up before he sees what is really happening. On that play, we all could see it open up, give it to Singletary and he has five yards or more easily. But I believe he was already set on running it (like most of the time) and he played right into the defense end--who was standing there waiting for him. If his eyes were up and he was really trying to discern in the middle of play, it was an easy read. I just don't think he has the mind (his mindset is "I'll do whatever it takes to make this happen" - rather than doing the smarter thing to make this happen) for that type of play calling. I hope I'm wrong, but that play in particular showed why I think this.

This may be a little off topic, but It seems as though KC and Buffalo are on the same trajectory offensively.  Both teams have QBs who like to improvise and the better teams have it figured out.  With the upcoming schedule (Indy, NO?, TB and NE)  we will be facing some tough defenses that have the benefit to see what works against Buffalo.  I'm assuming there is no one out there that can help us with the RBs and offensive line, but think we need to find a way to be less predictable.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.