Blue States vs. Red States, smart vs. dumb?

Mickey

Warning: Taking this post seriously can be hazardous to your health.

Just for the fun of it, I thought I would look at the Blue and Red states from a different angle and checked out the US statistical abstract, state rankings for percentage of residents with a bachelors degree or better. I then looked at who won those states in 2000. As it turns out, Gore won 11 of the 15 "smartest" states while Bush swept the five "dumbest" states. Gore won the smart states by an average of 15.6% while Bush, in the 4 smart states he won had an average margin of victory of only 8.5%. Kanasas, ranked 12th and he won there by 21% which really inflated his average since in the other three states he won by an average of only 4.25%.

Instead of using colors to designate the democrat and republican states, maybe we should just use smart states and dumb states. :doh::flirt::P:w00t:

The fifteen states with the highest percentage of residents holding a bachelors degree or better are, in order from highest to lowest: Maryland, Colorado, Virginia, Mass, Conn, NJ, Vermont, Minn, NH & RI (tied for 9th), Del, Kansas, NY, Wash. and Cal. The five dumbest states, all won by Bush, are, in order from pretty dumb to incredibly dumb: Miss, Oak, Wy, Ark and West Virginia.

The conclusion to be drawn? I have too much time on my hands. That is what happens when you have a big case settle unexpectedly just before the start of trial.

Just for the fun of it, I thought I would look at the Blue and Red states from a different angle and checked out the US statistical abstract, state rankings for percentage of residents with a bachelors degree or better.  I then looked at who won those states in 2000.  As it turns out, Gore won 11 of the 15 "smartest" states while Bush swept the five "dumbest" states.  Gore won the smart states by an average of 15.6% while Bush, in the 4 smart states he won had an average margin of victory of only 8.5%.  Kanasas, ranked 12th and he won there by 21% which really inflated his average since in the other three states he won by an average of only 4.25%. 

Instead of using colors to designate the democrat and republican states, maybe we should just use smart states and dumb states.    :flirt:  :w00t:  :P  :doh:

The fifteen states with the highest percentage of residents holding a bachelors degree or better are, in order from highest to lowest: Maryland, Colorado, Virginia, Mass, Conn, NJ, Vermont, Minn, NH & RI (tied for 9th), Del, Kansas, NY, Wash. and Cal.  The five dumbest states, all won by Bush, are, in order from pretty dumb to incredibly dumb: Miss, Oak, Wy, Ark and West Virginia.

The conclusion to be drawn?  I have too much time on my hands.  That is what happens when you have a big case settle unexpectedly just before the start of trial.

24218[/snapback]

Funny sh*t Mick :flirt:

How Gore do in Tenn., oops. :P

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Vermont is on the list of smartest?

Go figure! :w00t:

We have about the same population as Wyoming, and they are near the end of the list... that is strange! Anyone from Wyoming/know of anyone from Wyoming? I'm just very curious now.

How does Alaska stack up? They are right there with us... :flirt:

Just for the fun of it, I thought I would look at the Blue and Red states from a different angle and checked out the US statistical abstract, state rankings for percentage of residents with a bachelors degree or better.  I then looked at who won those states in 2000.  As it turns out, Gore won 11 of the 15 "smartest" states while Bush swept the five "dumbest" states.  Gore won the smart states by an average of 15.6% while Bush, in the 4 smart states he won had an average margin of victory of only 8.5%.  Kanasas, ranked 12th and he won there by 21% which really inflated his average since in the other three states he won by an average of only 4.25%. 

24218[/snapback]

What about Florida? :flirt:

We have about the same population as Wyoming, and they are near the end of the list... that is strange! Anyone from Wyoming/know of anyone from Wyoming? I'm just very curious now.

24391[/snapback]

Dick Cheney. There you go. :flirt:

I'm sorry, education has nothing to do with smart.  Lawyers are a pretty good example.

24368[/snapback]

This was what was going through my head. Some of the smartest people I know barely escaped high school and never saw college and are pretty goddam smart.

Granted, education is important and it clearly makes you smarter, but I'd argue that all of the people who DID vote for Gore should have their education contested. :flirt:

Dick Cheney.  There you go.  :w00t:

24426[/snapback]

But that was when he realized that his Texas residency would jeopardize the Bush ticket in 2000. Before all you cons and repubs, go crazy I know that Cheney is from Wyoming originally, whew... we could have had a constitutional crisis there. :flirt:

No...I just wanted to know where a state that voted for "Gore, no Bush, no Gore, no Bush...does anyone know how to punch a ballot?" ranks in smart vs. dumb states...

24567[/snapback]

In addition to that. Where were the complaints when Jeb spanked, sh*t, I cant even remember his name :flirt: in the gov. race. 13 points I guess was not close enough to B word about ballets or voting booths. Suprised?

FLIGHTSUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

No...I just wanted to know where a state that voted for "Gore, no Bush, no Gore, no Bush...does anyone know how to punch a ballot?" ranks in smart vs. dumb states...

24567[/snapback]

I think they ranked right in the middle, at 25. They can't even decide if they are dumb or smart. Nice beaches though.