The Kickoff

7 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

You're allowed to have two return men back. It may actually be advised in a strong kicking headwind. Unfortunately every NFL team does exactly the same thing every time on these seemingly forgetable plays until they get burned.

I’m aware.  It’s not his fault they positioned as they did for the kick.  If anything, it was on Taiwan Jones to fair catch that ball. 

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m aware.  It’s not his fault they positioned as they did for the kick.  If anything, it was on Taiwan Jones to fair catch that ball. 

That's fine. The whole point is that the team was unprepared for a situation where a kick was short and directional. The up men were wholly thinking they needed to block. Someone didn't do their job, and I'm pretty sure is the guy who is coaching Special Teams.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

This. On a kickoff there’s no option to let it bounce, if you think it’s gonna be close you wave the hand for fair catch and try for it because a muff is no different than letting it hit the turf in that situation, plus the FC gives protection so if they do run into you it’s a penalty and they won’t get the ball anyway. 

That’s coaching, he needs to know that going in.

He didn't get to the ball. He hesitated because the wind blew it all over the place. The fair catch wasn't an option. 

34 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It was Gilliam. He was the up man on the left hand side of the field. Jones was the up man on the right hand side of the field. I don't put it on Gilliam either. He thinks at worst it is going to bounce through. Freak play. All about the wind, and a bad bounce. It happens. you just hope it happens in a game you have easily in hand and it did. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I refuse to believe that was a designed kickoff and I found the praise of the WFT special teams coach by the commentators to be nauseating. It was a totally lucky play brought on by a stadium wind gust like we’ve seen since it was built in ‘73. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Considering there was no replay of the turnover, I was curious if anyone knows exactly what happened on that play? I have no idea who made contact, and how no Bills player could get to the ball. 

Sorry Mods, if this is overblown on the board.

Simple, was a fluke bad kick that went high and short.  Ball is live on a kickoff once it goes past 10 yards, no has to touch it and no one did.  McKenzie ran to get it but it was well short of him and ball literally bounced back upfield away from him right to the kicker.  

Was a fluke really, bad kick that got a very lucky bounce and they benefited.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't get to the ball. He hesitated because the wind blew it all over the place. The fair catch wasn't an option. 

It was Gilliam. He was the up man on the left hand side of the field. Jones was the up man on the right hand side of the field. I don't put it on Gilliam either. He thinks at worst it is going to bounce through. Freak play. All about the wind, and a bad bounce. It happens. you just hope it happens in a game you have easily in hand and it did. 

That’s interesting.  I was at the other end of the stadium, and I didn’t see the upback on botched KO.  On the next KO I thought Jones had that side.  So maybe they flipped after the botch.