Why so much faith in J.P?

The_Real

I am by nature an optimist. I always try to find the bright side of every situation. However, I can not see the logic in where the majority of this board thinks the Bills are going to have a good year. I have 10 bets that the Bills will go 6-10 this year. Here is my reasoning.

QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!

No kicker, McGahee's health, Travis, new inexperienced qb, no offensive line no defensive line and no money to help ANY OF IT.

Our kicker isn't even money from with in 45 yards. Where is his replacement? Anyone?

I am a huge Canes fan, and I love what Willis has done in college and the Pros. I hope he continues to do it for years to come. Yet, with a straight face, can anyone here say they don't cringe everytime you see him on the bottom of a pile?

We got nothing for Henry. Even if he does come back, how many people here believe he isn't going to be a cancer in the locker room. I believe all parties involved are in a lose-lose situation.

J.P Losman has me SOOOOOOOO worried that I can barely contain myself when I see the foolish post 10-6. Did anyone see the way he played last year? I know, mop up duty the whole 9 yards, but didn't you guys see how nervous he was? Didn't you see the way he seemed uncomfortable in the pocket? He can hand off and that's all well and good, but there comes a time a qb has to do more than just not lose a game.

No replacement for J.Jennings is going to smack us right in the face. I don't need to explain to the community where the strongest pass rush comes from. Ask Taylor or Abraham what the thought of Jonas. I know the Bills have filled some gaps, but not the one at LT.

No replacement for Big Pat is big trouble. Who is going to fill that revolving door interior line position? Ron Edwards is okay, Sam Adams is aging and everyone else is secondtier. Our only saving grace may be a good linebacker core.

Worst of all is a bad draft and little money. Roscoe may be great, and I'm sure Everett will be solid at TE but we had way bigger fish to fry. An OT or DT would have been ideal but instead we took a 5'8 WR. As I mentioned earlier, I am a big 'Canes fan so I'll be the first to tell you the kid is explosive, but he just didn't hit our needs.

Now I understand that not everything here is going to work out bad and not everything is going to work out good. Probabily about 50-50 for most teams. Yet our questions are HUGE TOM, HUUUGE.

6-10

T_R

I am by nature an optimist.  I always try to find the bright side of every situation.
Yeah, sounds it. :angry:

No kicker
Lindell must be doing something right. His kickoffs help the Bills maintain their elite level coverage ranking and he was ranked 6th overall in the NFL on FGs despite kicking in one of the most difficult stadiums in the league
McGahee's health
I imagine he'll be over his cold before the season starts
Travis
He'll most likely play as big a role for the Bills in '05 as he did in the final 8 games of '04. Not much of one.
new inexperienced qb
He's mobile, he'd been in the system for a year. He's fairly accurate, has a strong arm, and a quick release. Do you think he'll hurt us more than last year's starter?
no offensive line
The offensive line came along pretty well last year, including Teague and MW having their best years in Bflo IMO. They also have the best OL coach in the league. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
no defensive line
They had the 2nd ranked D in the league last season and only lost a player who was on the sidelines for 2/3 of the plays. I don't see where they'd be an area of concern
and no money to help ANY OF IT.
Even if your opinion on our cap was remotely accurate, there just isn't much of anything to "fix."

Dude, I couldn't disagree with you more.

First, our team has only regressed in 3 areas. Bledsoe, JJ, and PW.

Bledsoe single-handedly lost us the Baltimore Raven game. Watch that again, and you'll agree with my assessment. Bledsoe did not WIN us a single game (with perhaps an exception with the second Miami game). I may be wrong, but I don't think that Bledsoe threw for 300 yards a single time last year. He did not play wel at all last year (and I like Bledsoe). Losing Bledsoe will not attribute any more losses, as long as SW, TC and MM be sure to set JP up to succeed and not fail.

Jennings was overrated in my opinion. Average, maybe above average, but not near as good as what SF is paying him. Losing Jennings means that Teague will have to move over to where he played with Denver (weren't the Broncos dominant when he was over there?? someone check me on that). I don't see any drop there that will incur losses. McNally will be sure that the Left Tackle position is covered by Teague or by someone else who steps up strong... and they will be well coached.

Pat Williams was an average rusher and a good run stuffer. Edwards is a better rusher, and Tim Anderson will be an adequate run stuffer. You'll see. A little drop off, yes... but not much.

Last year, if you take away a mere 4 plays, I can see us 13-3!!

Yes, 13-3... if NC doesn't try for the interception, Henry gets one more inch, the former Jets kicker misses the field goal (which he does often), and Lindell makes our fieldgoal against Pittsburgh... we get 4 more wins. That's not to mention the 2 games that Bledsoe lost (Baltimore with interceptions and Patriots with a fumble). We only got dominated in a single game last year. The night game in Foxboro.

I don't see us any worse. We had unlucky breaks last year... even if we get similiar unlucky breaks this year (barring injury), you can basically pencil in 10+ wins for the Bills.

You can slam my post, but you'll all be celebrating with me in January!

considering you're an optimist...you took every single question mark on the bills and turned it into a negative. I'm going to try and do the opposite.

yeah Lindell sucked last year...well so did Drew Brees in '03. Crazier things have happened than having a kicker gain some confidence.

Willis has continued rehabbing all offseason epr ESPN.com. Stop cringing i guess...

Henry a cancer? Do you really think one guy can tear up a nucleas of leaders like Fletch, Spikes, Moulds, Vincent, Milloy?? henry will shutup and do his part.

Losman's bad 04 season...thats just stupid. Give him the starting role, another offseason, he'll be ready to go. Remember he doesnt have to do THAT much for our offense to work ala Ben.

Jennings' replacement. We have a ton of prospects on our oline. Someone should be able to step up and do alright. Big Mike, Chris V, Teague, Anderson, Peters, Gandy, Tucker, McFarland, Preston, the 6th rounder, and the URFA from Albany...idk let's see what mcNally can do.

Replacements for Phat Pat...im most confident in this area...esp considering Pat was on the sidelines on those 3rd downs. Edwards/Anderson are certainly adaquate for now.

The draft gave us another speedy weapon on offense, a future stud at TE, and a few solid oline prospects...i see no problems there.

You can swing it both ways man.

I read over your post and would like to provide some facts for you to digest

No Kicker:

Ryan Lindell was 45-45 on Extra Points and 24-28 on Field Goals which is a percentage of 85% - He scored 117 points and his kickoffs helped the Bills special teams rank 1st in the league

Health of Willis McGhaee & No Travis Henry - Injuries are a part of football and when you do have them you need to have depth to support those injuries. The Bills are pursuing Anthony Thomas, have Shaud Williams and really do need to let go of the cancer that is Travis Henry.

Inexperienced QB - Tom Donahoe has built the team like the old 1990's NFC teams who beat us in the four Super Bowls, with a strong running game, great defense, best in the league special teams and with many weapons for his QB. He has an excellent and experienced QB coach in Sam Wyche and offensive minds in Clements and Mularky to prepare him. Plus, is he actually going to be any worse then Bledsoe or take more sacks or generate more turnovers. Lastly, his mobility will create problems for any defense. The early schedule will also allow him to grow into the position.

No offensive line: How much crack have you been smoking. RT Mike Williams, RG Chris Villariael, C Trey Teague, Rex Tucker with Duke Preston backing up. Bennie Anderson at LG, and either Mike Gandy or Trey Teague over at LT. Teague was a LT and is a better match-up against both Jason Taylor and John Abraham. We also have excellent depth, a power running game and a great Oline coach.

No defensive line: Exactly how are we worse, Phat Pat played on only 58% of the plays last year, were you even aware of this. Ron Edwards has played very well in spot duty. Generates pass rush penetration and we do need to see development of Tim Anderson for the tackle rotation. Also, there may very well be a trade with Tennessee that might bring us a tackle such as Rian Long or Albert Haynesworth.

The draft brought speed and athleticism into the receiving corp, depth to the offensive line and still leaves the Bills with some free agent manuverability.

Please take a few minutes to read over my response and this may make you feel better.

I am by nature an optimist.  I always try to find the bright side of every situation.  However, I can not see the logic in where the majority of this board thinks the Bills are going to have a good year.  I have 10 bets that the Bills will go 6-10 this year.  Here is my reasoning. 

QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!! 

No kicker, McGahee's health, Travis, new inexperienced qb, no offensive line no defensive line and no money to help ANY OF IT.

Our kicker isn't even money from with in 45 yards.  Where is his replacement?  Anyone?

I am a huge Canes fan, and I love what Willis has done in college and the Pros.  I hope he continues to do it for years to come.  Yet, with a straight face, can anyone here say they don't cringe everytime you see him on the bottom of a pile? 

We got nothing for Henry.  Even if he does come back, how many people here believe he isn't going to be a cancer in the locker room.  I believe all parties involved are in a lose-lose situation. 

J.P Losman has me SOOOOOOOO worried that I can barely contain myself when I see the foolish post 10-6.  Did anyone see the way he played last year?  I know, mop up duty the whole 9 yards, but didn't you guys see how nervous he was?  Didn't you see the way he seemed uncomfortable in the pocket?  He can hand off and that's all well and good, but there comes a time a qb has to do more than just not lose a game. 

No replacement for J.Jennings is going to smack us right in the face.  I don't need to explain to the community where the strongest pass rush comes from.  Ask Taylor or Abraham what the thought of Jonas.  I know the Bills have filled some gaps, but not the one at LT. 

No replacement for Big Pat is big trouble.  Who is going to fill that revolving door interior line position?  Ron Edwards is okay, Sam Adams is aging and everyone else is secondtier.  Our only saving grace may be a good linebacker core.

Worst of all is a bad draft and little money.  Roscoe may be great, and I'm sure Everett will be solid at TE but we had way bigger fish to fry.  An OT or DT would have been ideal but instead we took a 5'8 WR.  As I mentioned earlier, I am a big 'Canes fan so I'll be the first to tell you the kid is explosive, but he just didn't hit our needs. 

Now I understand that not everything here is going to work out bad and not everything is going to work out good.  Probabily about 50-50 for most teams.  Yet our questions are HUGE TOM, HUUUGE. 

6-10

T_R

322606[/snapback]

Dude, I couldn't disagree with you more. 

First, our team has only regressed in 3 areas.  Bledsoe, JJ, and PW.

Bledsoe single-handedly lost us the Baltimore Raven game.  Watch that again, and you'll agree with my assessment.  Bledsoe did not WIN us a single game (with perhaps an exception with the second Miami game).  I may be wrong, but I don't think that Bledsoe threw for 300 yards a single time last year.  He did not play wel at all last year (and I like Bledsoe).  Losing Bledsoe will not attribute any more losses, as long as SW, TC and MM be sure to set JP up to succeed and not fail.

Jennings was overrated in my opinion.  Average, maybe above average, but not near as good as what SF is paying him.  Losing Jennings means that Teague will have to move over to where he played with Denver (weren't the Broncos dominant when he was over there?? someone check me on that).  I don't see any drop there that will incur losses.  McNally will be sure that the Left Tackle position is covered by Teague or by someone else who steps up strong... and they will be well coached.

Pat Williams was an average rusher and a good run stuffer.  Edwards is a better rusher, and Tim Anderson will be an adequate run stuffer.  You'll see.  A little drop off, yes... but not much.

Last year, if you take away a mere 4 plays, I can see us 13-3!!

Yes, 13-3... if NC doesn't try for the interception, Henry gets one more inch, the former Jets kicker misses the field goal (which he does often), and Lindell makes our fieldgoal against Pittsburgh... we get 4 more wins.  That's not to mention the 2 games that Bledsoe lost (Baltimore with interceptions and Patriots with a fumble).  We only got dominated in a single game last year.  The night game in Foxboro.

I don't see us any worse.  We had unlucky breaks last year... even if we get similiar unlucky breaks this year (barring injury), you can basically pencil in 10+ wins for the Bills.

You can slam my post, but you'll all be celebrating with me in January!

322618[/snapback]

Yes, It's been my belief that an inept QB kept us from that 13 - 3 record.

Substitute an inept QB with an upside and the record stays the same ( 9 - 7 ). If JP learns anything and stays healthy 10 - 6 is entirely possible ( though not probable ).

Wow, all the other optimists come out in stride.

I am pointing out problem areas. If you would have read my whole post I didn't say I thought these problems would all go bad. I just can't see everyone of these scenarios working out favorably. Does anyone ever have 5 or 6 problems at one time that work out well? As I said it's usually 50-50.

I hope I am wrong more than any of you could even imagine. I just see so many question marks that I fear we've taken steps backward.

Bledsoe wasn't the answer, I know that. McGahee could be the top rb in the league. J.P could throw 40 touchdowns. Our O-line could give up no sacks. Our D-line could force 25 fumbles. Lindell could hit a 65 yarder.

George Bush could also make wise decisions. It also may not rain all year long. It could be the years the Cubs win the world series.

My point is there are alot of questions. Doesn't that worry anyone else but me?

T_R

Lindell must be doing something right. His kickoffs help the Bills maintain their elite level coverage ranking and he was ranked 6th overall in the NFL on FGs despite kicking in one of the most difficult stadiums in the league

So you are saying you are comfortable late in the 4th quarter down by 2 and a 46 yarder with Lindell kicking it?

I imagine he'll be over his cold before the season starts

Say what you want, I am die hard as well as any fan here. I know no matter where I am watching a game any time Willis goes down hard, the first thing I hear is "GET UP WILLIS!". If you are saying that thought doesn't come in to your mind, I don't believe you.

He'll most likely play as big a role for the Bills in '05 as he did in the final 8 games of '04. Not much of one.

Should that be what we want though? A quality RB that sits on the bench or sits out for nothing? Is that what you want?

He's mobile, he'd been in the system for a year. He's fairly accurate, has a strong arm, and a quick release. Do you think he'll hurt us more than last year's starter?

Yes. Inexperience is for the most part not a good thing for a starter in the NFL.

The offensive line came along pretty well last year, including Teague and MW having their best years in Bflo IMO. They also have the best OL coach in the league. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

What about LT though? What did we do to remedy the problem?

They had the 2nd ranked D in the league last season and only lost a player who was on the sidelines for 2/3 of the plays. I don't see where they'd be an area of concern

I can't even think of a response to this post. Pat was the heart of our run defense. He plugged the middle like no one else could or will. That will be proven as the year progresses.

Even if your opinion on our cap was remotely accurate, there just isn't much of anything to "fix."

I am going to have to agree to disagree. The fix is everywhere and what am I not seeing from our cap situation? I know there is money, but you truly believe there is a player left or will be one after June 1 that can help our needs? Secondtier players and has beens don't count.

Maybe we can get Jason Gildon again.

T_R

Our kicker isn't even money from with in 45 yards. Where is his replacement? Anyone?

K is much more than placekicking. Lindell certainly sucked shanking a very makable kick. However, though almost all kickers really earn their money with a potential game winning kick in the last minute, week-in and week-out they must kick-off and the kicks are critical to field position.

Whether one likes his PK work or not (I would have been pleased to take Nugent with a later than 3rd pick if he lasted that long which he didn't) Nugent did an outstanding job with the KOs. Objective confirmation of this is seen in that their were no (zero, nada, zippo, none) returns for long yardage against the Bills. Tackling obviously deserves much of the credit for this, but one gets the proper tackling when the kicker puts it exactly the distance and direction called for in the kick and this is particularly difficult in the winds of the Ralph. Flat-out Lindell was outstanding as a kickoff guy.

In addition to that, the kicker is occaisionally called upon for an onside kick. The Bills recovered 1 of his 3 onside attempts this year and since Lindell not only kicked it well (it must travel the requisite 10 yards before anyone can even touch a defender and he recovered the kick himself his work was outstanding. On one of the miscues, Lindell actually did his job well as Rashad Baker actually missed a chance for him to recover the kick.

As far as PK goes, the shank was so bad it would not have been outrageous to replace Lindell based solely on that IF you had a credible replacement (Nugent is plenty long on PK, but his ability to KO has yet to be proven). However, the Bills did not and there actually is some reasonable hope that the PK work would improve.

1, Statistically Lindell was a far more accurate kicker in '04 than in '03.

2. Strangely in 2 years the Bills have not seen the game rest on the toe of their kicker in the final moment so Lindell cannot be credibly indicted on that front.

3. The main queastion regarding kicks of 45+ is that MM seemed to have no confidence in trying this much, however, it must be recognized that the Bills win streak and few games ending closely made for few attempts of 45+ by Lindell. In fact, twice he did put the ball through the uprights from 45+ but Bills TD took these pounts off the board.

Kicking is a real question but their are a series of more real responses than kneejerk complaining.

I am a huge Canes fan, and I love what Willis has done in college and the Pros. I hope he continues to do it for years to come. Yet, with a straight face, can anyone here say they don't cringe everytime you see him on the bottom of a pile?

The game where WM went out with an injury and a question arose of whether he would be back in 2 weeks or more only to see him return to action and rush for over 100 yards the next week was instructional.

It ain't over until its over and any player can be injured at any time. However, it was helpful to my psyche (and probably WMs) to have him seemingly hurt so bad but have him come back and play the next week. I think the reasonable course is to worry but not to fret.

We got nothing for Henry. Even if he does come back, how many people here believe he isn't going to be a cancer in the locker room. I believe all parties involved are in a lose-lose situation.

It ain't over 'til its over regarding Henry as well. As teams make hard decisions come June 1st regarding cap cuts, there will be another chance to trade Henry for player value and as RBs get injured in pre-season the chance to trade him for a mere draft choice will be there as well (unless folks panic and cut him). I see Henry having no leverage in this case as if he were to become a cancer and fail to watch WNs back he will develop a rep as a bad teammate which will sour other players on him joining their team. The only way it goes badly for the Bills is if Travis is so stupid he wants to add cancer to uncertaiinties about his health. Paticularly as we entertain other plan Bs for WM like Thomas the Bills are still in the driver's seat on this one.

J.P Losman has me SOOOOOOOO worried that I can barely contain myself when I see the foolish post 10-6. Did anyone see the way he played last year? I know, mop up duty the whole 9 yards, but didn't you guys see how nervous he was? Didn't you see the way he seemed uncomfortable in the pocket? He can hand off and that's all well and good, but there comes a time a qb has to do more than just not lose a game.

JP actually showed demonstrable improvement over:

NE- looked like and was a deer in the headlights as MM sent the message that boy when you put on the uniform you must be prepared to play.

2nd game- another round of mop-up duty in which JP showed his lack of control by taking a delay of game penalty first time he came in. However, this outing proved to be successful for JP as a series of hand-offs to WM produced a TD.

3rd game- JP continued him improvement to not exercising total control yet, but did call the TO to avoid the penalty. He once again led the team to a score. and this time converted a 3rd down with his feet (he shoukd have bailed out rather than take a hit for 2 meaningless yards) and hit Trafford with a key pass.

The big thing for JP development is that MM is lowering the bar for JP performance by expecting him not to pull an Elway to win, but instead expecting him to make 1st year starter errors snf instead emphasize the run. Predictions of 10 wins are unreasonable if you expect JP to perform like Joe Montana. However, epectations of 10 wins are not unreasonable if you demand he perform like Tren Dilfer or like RoboQB did last year for Pitts.

No replacement for J.Jennings is going to smack us right in the face. I don't need to explain to the community where the strongest pass rush comes from. Ask Taylor or Abraham what the thought of Jonas. I know the Bills have filled some gaps, but not the one at LT.

I actually miss Marcus Price more than I miss Jennings. JJ was good, but not wort the huge SF outlay for a player who never started every game in a season in his career and actually prefaced this by getting knocked out of at least a couple of games last year. The big ruah does come from the left side and that is why we will be rushing left a lot this year. I think Shelton sounds more like the road grater we need at LT for this O and Teague is stronger working in space, but we'll see.

No replacement for Big Pat is big trouble. Who is going to fill that revolving door interior line position? Ron Edwards is okay, Sam Adams is aging and everyone else is secondtier. Our only saving grace may be a good linebacker core.

This may be a dire situation and we need Anderson to step up bigtime. However, this situation is not as dire as Phat Pat was ofte out on many defsive plays. Our starters do not have to come out of nowhere they will need to expand the role they played as replacements for Phat Pat on 30+% of the D plats last year.

Worst of all is a bad draft and little money. Roscoe may be great, and I'm sure Everett will be solid at TE but we had way bigger fish to fry. An OT or DT would have been ideal but instead we took a 5'8 WR. As I mentioned earlier, I am a big 'Canes fan so I'll be the first to tell you the kid is explosive, but he just didn't hit our needs.

The draft even in good years has little to offer a team the year of the draft (ex. Evans took half a season to get on track) and it was going to be even worse with this draft before it began as we traded our 1st for JP and this draft was a weak crew overall. I would call any expectations that this draft was going to help us in '05 the worst before I labeled this outcome as problematic.

You are mostly right, there are many questions, but also there are many answers.

The Bills suck beyond belief.

I hope the citizens of Erie County come to their senses, grab their pitchforks and run these guys out of town.

322692[/snapback]

What time are we meeting at RWS? Don't forget the torches. We'll set the stadium and fieldhouse on fire as they are running for their lifes! :angry:

The ones predicting 10-6 think that the Pats are dead, the Jets did not improve any, and the dolphins aren't better than 2-14. But when any of these teams beat the Bills, these are the same complacent folks that will blame the Bills for being complacent in losing to these teams.

JP, Holcomb, or Matthews is an improvement over Bledsoe... , I think the Bills will be in a lot of close games this season... which might not be good news. Both the offense and the defense choked a couple of times last season in crunch time... and if a game comes down to the right leg of one Rian Lindell, is there anyone here that won't soil their britches just thinking about that?

I am pointing out problem areas.  If you would have read my whole post I didn't say I thought these problems would all go bad.  I just can't see everyone of these scenarios working out favorably.  Does anyone ever have 5 or 6 problems at one time that work out well?  As I said it's usually 50-50. 

322669[/snapback]

"I just cant see all these scenerios working out favorably." Well yeah, no kidding! If all the scenerios went well, we'd win 14+ games. You kinda prove our pt. when you say the odds will be 50/50. If half of those scenerios went well, 9-11 wins is probable.

Willis McGahee is at the stage of recovery (FULL recovery!) that he is NO MORE likely to injure the same knee in a game than Priest Holmes or Jamaal Lewis would with theirs! The knee is going to be sound and it is possible that his speed and lower body power will return to pre-injury form! Frankly, expect Willis to be far better this campaign than the last....