cigar advice

ch19079

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys were killing me. We had a few stashed in the office, and just went out and smoked them!

There is the best place in the world down here in Miami called Mike's. Here is the website Mike's Cigars

The owner was partners in the old General Cigar who made/makes Macanudo and a couple other big names. Their online prices are great, and they have tons of samplers....but if you ever get a chance to go to the store, you are able to purchase 2nds from those General Cigar names for $1 or so a piece. They don't advertise them because you get almost as good of a smoke for a fraction of the price.

My personal favorites are Macanudo for a mild cigar. Partagas Black label are a great value and have a nice punch. And my favorite specialty cigars are the H.Upman Anniversary, which are a medium, but super smooth cigar.

The most fun is just sampling them....a bit more expensive, but it's like Christmas morning every time you get to fire up a new one.

My personal favorites are Macanudo for a mild cigar. Partagas Black label are a great value and have a nice punch. And my favorite specialty cigars are the H.Upman Anniversary, which are a medium, but super smooth cigar.

321333[/snapback]

Partagas black! Love that cigar. Has anyone ever had an opus X? My one experience was that it's a damn nice smoke but a little over priced and hyped.

Well, the cream of the crop generally is understood to be the Montecristo No.2, followed by the Arturo Fuente Hemingway.The Cohiba Siglo is a close 3rd. These are true Havanas, and if you're ever in the Caribbean Islands I highly recommend taking advantage and enjoying these smokes. As for the good ol' USA, the best you'll do is with Dominicans. These are near Havanas in quality. I'd recommend the Cuesta Rey Pyramid No.9. Montecristo and Partagas are a good choice too. Experiment a bit. I find the smoothest draw is from the Torpedo or Pyramid shape. Use a wooden match to light your smoke, turn the Cigar as you light it for an even burn. You may dip the end in Cognac or a high quality Rum such as Cruzan or Mount Gay. Experiment a bit with Connecticut shade and Maduro to find your preference. I have to say the best Cigars I've ever purchased stateside were in Key West. They have streetside stands and roll them right before your eyes. There is a large Cuban population there, and their expertise shows through. These at $8 were probably superior to the $35 Monte 2's I get in St Maarten. A strong statement I know, but they were amazing! If your ever in Key West, hit Duval Street and find one of the Cigar stands.you won't be disappointed. :doh:

I like the Punch Rare Corrajo and Hoyo de Monterrey.  As many have said, cigars are like fine scotch, you need to find something you like.  Definitely get the smaller Robusto size.

321404[/snapback]

Great advice. A robusto is only a 20 minute smoke, but you have to have a quality hour to invest into a Churchill.

Hoyo de Monterrey is another good smoke for a decent price. I especially like their Excalibur 1066 line.

Fonseca makes a decent cigar that won't overwhelm a starter. That too is a $3-4 smoke.

Anyone ever hit the Tinderbox stand outside the Ralph on gameday? I've blown a few bucks there, but you find many appreciative fans if you bring some of your own to the tailgate. Football, Blue, the Grill, friends, and some stogies....Where would you rather be??

I personally like the Padron Anniversery lines. The 64's are cheaper than the 26's, easier to find and very nice. The 26's are excellent.

The Fuente Opus X Line is also excellent. My buddy is a huge Opus X fan, so I mooch of him as much as possible. :doh:

if you are interested in "flavored" cigars, I enjoy Vanilla Senoritas made by Cojimar. They are dipped in honey and then sugar. Very sweet tasting. I get mine from this site: www.cojimart.com I bought a sampler pack awhile ago and enjoyed them. They may not be for everyone, but I enjoy one once in awhile.

Lots of good advice already mentioned. A few things I didn't see touched on...

1) Yes, you should invest in a humidor if you are going to keep them for longer than a week. A zip-loc will do for a short time, but generally not longer than a week.

2) Never, never, never put cigars in the fridge. Cold actually pulls the moisture from a cigar (dehumidifies.) You want to humidify them and add moisture.

3) JR Cigar is the bomb for "off" brands. Smoking just a few month, you could sample for years at JR. Their catalog is a good read every month too. I personally enjoy trying to find those "diamonds in the rough." Brand names are good, but expensive. The "off" brands offer some great value. JR's analysis is usually dead on, but it's all a matter of taste, and that is different for each person.

4) A GREAT mild-medium smoke (Brand Name) that has not been mentioned is Avo. Avo has a very distinctive flavor. It is not a flavored cigar, but it has a real smooth, mellow nutty flavor. Avo, Macanudo, and any Fuente made cigar a GREAT Brand Name beginner cigars. Fuente makes lots of lines A. Fuente, Montesino, Ashton to name a few. All are excellent construction and very tasty.

great advise so far.. thanks :lol:

but as far as how to smoke and cut, light, hold, ect...

anything i should know to keep from being looked at like a fool? like if i smoked a cigar somewhere different than fishing... like at a celebration or "fancy party".. :lol:

for example: ive been told to never put out the cigar like a cigarette, just let it burn out... and always take off the band....

great advise so far.. thanks  :lol:

anything i should know to keep from being looked at like a fool? like if i smoked a cigar somewhere different than fishing... like at a celebration or "fancy party"..  :lol:

for example: ive been told to never put out the cigar like a cigarette, just let it burn out... and always take off the band....

323920[/snapback]

Never use a a lighter that uses lighter fluid to light your cigar. Butane only. Colibri lighters are the best.

Do not remove the band.

great advise so far.. thanks  :lol:

anything i should know to keep from being looked at like a fool? like if i smoked a cigar somewhere different than fishing... like at a celebration or "fancy party"..  :lol:

323920[/snapback]

Some of this has been covered. To light, never use a lighter using lighter fluid, the taste of the fluid will permeate the cigar and foul the entire experience. Torch or butane lighters are good. It's best and most COOL to light a cigar with a wooden match. Light the match, let it burn off the sulfur. Rotate the cigar as you pull on (draw air through) the cigar drawing the flame into the tobacco.

Always allow a cigar to burn out.

Some say not to remove the band because it could damage the wrapper. Personally, I always remove the band. I just prefer my smoke without it.

Advice for the "fancy party" - don't inhale. Being a new cigar smoker, you will end up turning green and puking your guts out. A good cigar goes well with good liquor. The type of liquor depends on the strength of cigar. The stronger the cigar, the stronger flavored liquor. Example, a mild cigar goes well with a nice port wine or scotch. A more full bodied cigar should be enjoyed with a good sipping whiskey, bourbon or cognac.

For just fishin or golf... have a beer.

Hope that helps.

Padron. The Anniversary Series are GREAT...but, even the basic Padrons (3000, for example) are top-notch. I prefer the maduros, but they're all good.

It's hard to go wrong with Fuente. If you can find and afford them, the OpusX series are sensational. (Unfortunately I can't afford to even LOOK at them right now...but, I'll be back!)

CAO has many interesting series. They're pretty trendy right now, but don't let that discourage you. I like the MX2 (double maduro...get it maduro times 2 = MX2). The Extremes are quite good as are the Cameroons.

Rocky Patel...trust me...these are yummy.

There are many good Cubans...but there are more bad or fake Cubans. Make sure you know EXACTLY what you're getting before you invest.

Finally, get Cigar Afficianado. this may be the best "lifestyle" magazine on the market. Seriously, you don't even need to be a cigar smoker to enjoy this mag...but, if you are, it will help educate you. It's like The Wine Spectator...but much better, IMO.

Sorry I chimed in so late.

4) A GREAT mild-medium smoke (Brand Name) that has not been mentioned is Avo.  Avo has a very distinctive flavor.  It is not a flavored cigar, but it has a real smooth, mellow nutty flavor.  Avo, Macanudo, and any Fuente made cigar a GREAT Brand Name beginner cigars.  Fuente makes lots of lines A. Fuente, Montesino, Ashton to name a few.  All are excellent construction and very tasty.

321845[/snapback]

*DING*

I was starting to think I was the only one in the world who smokes Avo. I think it has a really unique taste to it, and a great spice. Try one out for me. :devil: