cigar advice

ch19079

i have asked advice about several things here (wine, art, surround sound systems..) and i always get great advice... so ill ask for more.

i recently got interested in cigars, but my problem is that i know almost nothing about them.

i was wondering if yall had any advice as to what kind yall like, brands, gage, ect...

if it matters, i will be smoking cigars with a few friends while i catfish from the shore of a lake at night. (alot of sitting around doing nothing :( ).

also, ill take any advice on humidors or any other adivce you think a "beginner" cigar smoker should know.

the brand i found first that i like are "monticristo" churchill.

also: black and milds are nice, but im more interested in REAL cigars. ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than try to hook onto a recognizable brand name, etc. I would suggest that you buy a book (there are scores of them) written for the cigar novice that will explain the characteristics of different types, flavors, origins, leaves, wrappers, size, etc. etc. of cigars.

Cigars are like drinking scotch. It's easy to find one or two that you like by trial and error, but it's more interesting if you learn the reasons behind what you like so you can then branch out and try others without it being a total crapshoot.

Smoke up Johnny!

I like too partake in the cigars myself and like Cohiba and Ashton. Found a good way to try a bunch out and find some favs are to buy the "samplers" that some companies offer. That way you can get @10-12 different types and find which ones suit you best. Try thai site thompsoncigar.com chek out thoer products! Smoke UP Johnieeeee!!!!!! :(

So you don't smoke now but you would like to take it up. Here is some advice for you, DON'T START.

321172[/snapback]

well i dont smoke cigarettes. (my mommy said they are bad for me... ;) )

but a cigar now and then on my fishing trips is nice. especially since ther is alot of down time, cus im not that good of a cat fisherman. :(

I personally like the Strawberry Philly Blunts. Now what you do is take out the tobacco and mix with some......, uhh you mean real cigar smoking

321179[/snapback]

:doh:

i know what your talkin about... :( ..

..o wait.. ;) ... nevermind... 0:)

thanks  :(

but if i but a "sampler" of say 10-15 cigars, do i have to get a humidor. (cus i wont be smoking every day...).

or how long can i have a cigar befor it goes bad  ;)  ?

321170[/snapback]

A lot of the internet cigar stoes offer samplers that come with a jar humidor that should suit your needs to start out.

Welcome to my world. I've been enjoying them for 25 years. Have a couple hundred in the humidor. :(

Being that you're just starting out, don't start smoking strong cigars unless you wish to make yourself ill. Cigars come in Mild, Medium and Full strength.

The best place to order cigars from is JRcigars. They have the lowest prices and the best customer service. Famous-smoke is another good retailer. Most all the rest are major ripoffs and sell garbage, including Thompsons.

I tend to smoke Coronas, which last 30-40 minutes. Go to your local cigar store and buy 3-4 singles to try them out. Once you find a brand you like, a good box of cigars (25 count) runs anywhere from $50-100. Get a humidor box if you wish to keep some cigars around the house.

Some suggestions for starting out :

Mild- Don Diego

H. Upmann

Montecristo

Montesino

Macanudo

Medium - Auturo Fuente

Cuesta Rey

Partagas

Romeo Y Julieta

Full - CAO

Henry Clay

La Gloria Cubana

Punch Punch

Most cigars have Connecticut shade wrappers but give some maduro wrapped cigars a try. The Montesino Diplomatico maduro is especially good.

Good luck .

Enjoyed a Partagas corona yesterday. Mmmmm....

Welcome to my world. I've been enjoying them for 25 years. Have a couple hundred in the humidor.  :(

Being that you're just starting out, don't start smoking strong cigars unless you wish to make yourself ill.  Cigars come in Mild, Medium and Full strength.

The best place to order cigars from is JRcigars. They have the lowest prices and the best customer service. Famous-smoke is another good retailer. Most all the rest are major ripoffs and sell garbage, including Thompsons.

I tend to smoke Coronas, which last 30-40 minutes. Go to your local cigar store and buy 3-4 singles to try them out. Once you find a brand you like, a good box of cigars (25 count) runs anywhere from $50-100. Get a humidor box if you wish to keep some cigars around the house.

Some suggestions for starting out :

Mild - Don Diego        Medium- Auturo Fuente              Full- CAO

H Upmann                    Cuesta Rey                        Henry Clay

Montecristo                    Partagas                            La Gloria Cubana

Montesino                      Romeo Y Julieta                  Punch Punch

Macanudo

Most cigars have Connecticut shade wrappers but give some maduro wrapped cigars a try. The Montesino Diplomatico maduro is especially good.

Good luck .

Enjoyed a Partagas corona yesterday. Mmmmm....

321214[/snapback]

Punch! Good man, gots to have Punch on that list!

Punch! Good man, gots to have Punch on that list!

321226[/snapback]

Punch makes too many different lines of cigars ( many cheap ones ) , so you have to make sure you get the right kind. Punch Punch ( not a mispelling ) is probably their best.

E-mail Bill Clinton.  I'm sure he has some recommendations for you.

321215[/snapback]

:(;):doh:

Seriously, since I have stopped drinking alcohol, a good cigar would be appropriate. I don't even really know types, but I know what I like. 0:)

I'll have to order from that Jr. Cigar site, thank you very much.

Mike