4 new offensive starters

Jennings to Peters = downgrade / This is where we hope fore the best and be glad Losdman has wheels.

Smith to Anderson = upgrade / Anderson looks like a solid pro here.

Reed to Parrish = upgrade / Anyone is an upgrade to Josh "hands of stone" Reed.

Bledsoe to Losman = upgrade / There is no way JP has a worse performance than Bledsoe's last 2 seasons, no way.

Jennings to Peters = downgrade / This is where we hope fore the best and be glad Losdman has wheels.

Smith to Anderson = upgrade  / Anderson looks like a solid pro here.

Bledsoe to Losman = upgrade / There is no way JP has a worse performance than Bledsoe's last 2 seasons, no way.

321113[/snapback]

shaking up 2/5th's or 3/5th's of the oline = downgrade

continuity counts for something in this league and swapping players/positions on the OL year after year is not a positive.......

I thought "duke"-ing it out was clever. But I can see it getting old really quick.

I hope that Teague goes to LT and does a servicable job, then draft a tackle next year... I heard the draft is deep in that position next year. Then that draft pick can learn a year under Teague, and take over in '07

I thought "duke"-ing it out was clever.  But I can see it getting old really quick.

Hey, if Preston can win the starting job, I will have NO problem with that pun being worn-out. Seems like the Bills think he can start pretty quickly and that he's not a "developmental type."

I hope that Teague goes to LT and does a servicable job, then draft a tackle next year... I heard the draft is deep in that position next year.  Then that draft pick can learn a year under Teague, and take over in '07

Or maybe Peter I think 2 years working under McNally should be sufficient.

Just curious, what makes you so sure that Trey won't move out to T?

321120[/snapback]

http://buffalobills.com/team/depthchart.jsp

Look at the Depth chart. I think they are looking for a long term solution and hope Peters steps up, Trey's contract is up after this season and they do not want another Jennings situation should Teague prove himself at OT. If Peters fails then I could see Trey make the move.

321113[/snapback]

Does Reed make the roster?

321113[/snapback]

I hope you are right about JP but your estimate is based on nothing but conjecture. For all we know, JP may be the next Elway or the next Leaf. He hasn't played so we have next to zero evidence to give us any indication how he will perform in a real game let alone an entire season of real games.

If there is no way he plays worse than Bledsoe, are you convinced then that there is no way we don't win at least 10 games this year?

There was a post on the front page of TBD with McNally saying he expected Peters to be the LT and called him a phenom. I posted this a couple time, wondered why no one made a bigger dea about it If McNally thinks Peters can really be good that answers a lot of questions as to why we took Parrish instead of OL in the 2nd and Everett in the 3rd. Also, was anyone else as surprised as I was with MIA's coach saying that while Everett was less developed football skills-wise than the last 3 TEs there (Franks, Shocket, Winslow), he was faster and stronger than any of them and a better blocker? I tihnk he couldturn out ot be something special. If he develops into an every down player (which he is not considered to be now by the coaches) I would call him a big upgrade.

I hope you are right about JP but your estimate is based on nothing but conjecture.  For all we know, JP may be the next Elway or the next Leaf.  He hasn't played so we have next to zero evidence to give us any indication how he will perform in a real game let alone an entire season of real games.

If there is no way he plays worse than Bledsoe, are you convinced then that there is no way we don't win at least 10 games this year?

321150[/snapback]

That's exactly why the Holcomb signing was friggin HUGE, man.

321113[/snapback]

I hope so, but he's basically a rookie so there is a high risk that JP could be a disaster this year.

I hope so, but he's basically a rookie so there is a high risk that JP could be a disaster this year.

321228[/snapback]

I've stopped even trying to explain this to people anymore. Not going to change anyone's mind.

CW

I've stopped even trying to explain this to people anymore.  Not going to change anyone's mind.

CW

321233[/snapback]

I think everyone is well aware of the fact that JP is still an unknown. The only thing that will change anyones mind either way will be his actual play. Until then, it's just speculation on everyones part.

I think everyone is well aware of the fact that JP is still an unknown. The only thing that will change anyones mind either way will be his actual play. Until then, it's just speculation on everyones part.

321246[/snapback]

Not everyone is well aware, or people wouldn't be saying things like, "There's no way he can be worse than our previous quarterback." Try to contradict that, and people flame ya.

CW

Look at the Depth chart. I think they are looking for a long term solution and hope Peters steps up, Trey's contract is up after this season and they do not want another Jennings situation should Teague prove himself at OT. If Peters fails then I could see Trey make the move.

321138[/snapback]

Apparently Shane Matthews is going to be the starting QB as well.

Not everyone is well aware, or people wouldn't be saying things like, "There's no way he can be worse than our previous quarterback."  Try to contradict that, and people flame ya.

CW

321250[/snapback]

I see what you are saying......Personally, I don't know that you can say the above about JP, but I do think you can say it about our QB situation. If the rest of the team is playing solid ball and JP is losing games for us, we have a very capable back-up who, in my opinion, is definitely an upgrade over Bledsoe. So even though JP may or may not be, overall I think we're better at that position.

Does Reed make the roster?

321145[/snapback]

I think we are going to see a great competition for the slot WR position between Parrish, Aiken and Reed and all three have a shot at winning this battle with the prize being that the winner gets to feast on LBs and 5th WRs as both Moulds athleticism) and Evans (speed) deserve double-teams.

Moulds and Evans are gimmes as #1 and #2.

The Bills have kept 6 WRs before keeping a return guy Antonio Brown who was listed as a receiver, so his PR TD last year probably keeps Fast Freedy Smith as the 6th WR (though the return chops Parrish has shown in college and Clements PR TD ad even McGee's KR prowess mean that Smith is going to have to show something in terms of PR this pre-season and being credibly used as a WR will not hurt at all).

Parrish will be a keeper as his second round selection will earn him a slotted contract that only hard prison time will kick him off the team.

Thus, it will be:

Reed. Aiken, Haddad, Hill, Wilson and Vann dueling for two slots. The later three are almost certainly pre-season fodder. Haddad is an NFL vet now, but the extra he has to offer is return ability and now the Bills have that to beat the band so he is a likely goner.

Reed and Aiken are the odds on favorites to do one more year on the Bills roster. They are probably both keepers because there is a cap hit allocated to both of them regardless of whether they make the roster or not. In fact, Aiken may have moved ahead of Reed in the estimation of Bills coaches and certainly in the hearts of Bills fans, but the Bills will be allocating 400K to Reed in '05 whether we keep him or not and I suspect that he will get another chance anyway due to the cap hit.

All this is really going to be subject to performance in camp and in the exhibition games. I believe that Reed has had impressive camps even in his last two bad seasons I expect he will show enough to keep him around even if he develops another case of the droppsies during regular season.

The wrinkle in this equation actually will come if the Bills need a roster spot for another position and that holds them down to 5 WRs. I think the logjam at TE may actually cause that as Everett, Euhus and Campbell are the odds on favorites for the 3 slots, but we made contractual promises to Neufeld (which probably will not be kept now), Trafford caught a pass last year, Gomez has an NFLE roster exemption (which will only delay the inevitable cut) and Peters is on the roster as an LT but he impressed enough to get on the PS and eventually on the roster as a TE.

The logjam at TE might cause us to go with 5 WRs and Reed has a leg-up due to the cap, but the luck of exhibition game performance may tell the tale if we keep 5 WRs.

321138[/snapback]

That depth chart is from last year. It doesn't include Gandy, Anderson or any of the draft picks.