The Madness of Dr. Jerry "Short" Buss

AKC

About the time a Sports Franchise owner believes they actually understand the team they fund the blunders begin. When it's with a team who's won out their league or association the blunders are far more pronounced.

After making what is now becoming clear to those who didn't recognize before that the Buss decisions of last off-season are one of the greatest blunders in sports history (throwing away a championship by trading away the most dominant player in a 5- player sport), the Short Buss now simply continues to exacerbate the problems by coddling the guy who caused it all to begin with. Kobe Bryant has proved to be little more than George Gervin with a couple rings, a guy who has no business as a team leader, simply as a role playing gunner who is a gifted shooter- just like George Gervin or World B. Free.

All this season the local hacks in LA have reported the constant "me me me" quotes by Bryant saying things like "I just need to make sure my guys know how to get me the ball so I can score points" and offering snippets of Bryant refusing to listen to the coaching staff and running his own "Kobe Coaching" lectures during team practices. Now as the team is apparently asking Phil Jackson to come back to ostensibly bring some order to the team, Jackson has been forced to "interview" with Bryant before he can have the job!

God I love Madness!

About the time a Sports Franchise owner believes they actually understand the team they fund the blunders begin. When it's with a team who's won out their league or association the blunders are far more pronounced.

Now as the team is apparently asking Phil Jackson to come back to ostensibly bring some order to the team, Jackson has been forced to "interview" with Bryant before he can have the job!

God I love Madness!

319393[/snapback]

I would think this is more Phil saying I'm talking to Kobe before I take the job. If he does, I'll give the man credit. Always said I cannot dtermine wheather he is a great coach because he always had the two of the top ten players in the game on his team. He ain't gonna have that if he goes back there.

I would think this is more Phil saying I'm talking to Kobe before I take the job. If he does, I'll give the man credit. Always said I cannot dtermine wheather he is a great coach because he always had the two of the top ten players in the game on his team. He ain't gonna have that if he goes back there.

319506[/snapback]

I've always believed the contemporary NBA has 7 or 8 other coaches of equal talent to Jackson, and nothing would make me happier than having this exposed by him taking the top spot on the Laker bench with Bryant as his star- I have to believe he's too smart to do it and he's simply positioning himself for a job elsewhere where he has a realistic chance to finally overtake Aurbach in coaching titles, a desire that burns deep within him.

I've always believed the contemporary NBA has 7 or 8 other coaches of equal talent to Jackson, and nothing would make me happier than having this exposed by him taking the top spot on the Laker bench with Bryant as his star- I have to believe he's too smart to do it and he's simply positioning himself for a job elsewhere where he has a realistic chance to finally overtake Aurbach in coaching titles, a desire that burns deep within him.

319537[/snapback]

But I also think he has a burnin g desire to prove people like you and me wrong. I was thinking Cleveland might be his place, cause he has BronBron there. But those owners sound totally whacked.

Always said I cannot dtermine wheather he is a great coach because he always had the two of the top ten players in the game on his team. He ain't gonna have that if he goes back there.

319506[/snapback]

SCOTTTTTIEEEE PIIIIPPPPPEENNNNNN!!!!

(Scottie Pippen)

Kobe = Jordan

Lamar Odom = Pippen

yeah right.   :lol:

319766[/snapback]

The first blessing of the Buss Meltdown, other than the virtual abscence of those awful Laker car flags that pop up only when they're winning, is that I haven't had to hear "Kobe's the best player in the NBA" even once this season from the fan base. He's been exposed- a great pure shooter who without a dominant player on the court with him brings the talent around him down because he simply will never learn adjust to the fact that the ball, like accolades, need to be distributed among all the players on the court. Jordan did both with genuineness; for Bryant they're tortured- not to mention infrequent- exercises.

KTD- you could hit the Pick 6 at Santa Anita, buy the Lakers and win a championship as long as Jerry West was there to do the thinking. I don't for a minute believe West would have kicked O'Neal to the curb in favor of Alex English.

When members of his own team refer to Kobe as the GM....

They were clearly just throwing crap against the wall and seeing what stuck. I wonder how 'sick' Rudy T really was before he bailed. Even rats know enough to jump off a sinking ship.

It's nice not having them in the playoffs. Now only if TNT/ESPN gets on the stick and stops assigning the D team to cover the Suns. They actually had Dick Stockon and DUNLEAVY calling the game??? Totally weak. The way games are done in the playoffs aggrivates me to no end. 1st round of the playoffs will take about a month itself if they keep insisting on putting EVERY FRICKIN' GAME ON NATIONAL TV. "Check us out for game 2 of this series sometime next week..." :lol:

319537[/snapback]

THe lakers got rid of Shaq because he was fat, lazy, and was calling out the GM in front of everybody.....he was demanding a new contract and the lakers wanted to see him in shape first....

Shaq still had a great year.....but I think that the reasons why he was let go are already starting to creep up....getting injured right before the playoffs.....

Meanwhile....the lakers had a down year with a ton of injuries......everyone expected a down year or at least they should have.....they have a bunch of expiring contracts...and the 10th pick in the draft......which will net a second very good player to go with Kobe......

I would like to revisit this debate in a year and see which team is rising and which team is falling......lots of championships in laker land before Shaq ever arrived

THe lakers got rid of Shaq because he was fat, lazy, and was calling out the GM in front of everybody.....he was demanding a new contract and the lakers wanted to see him in shape first....

Shaq still had a great year.....but I think that the reasons why he was let go are already starting to creep up....getting injured right before the playoffs.....

Meanwhile....the lakers had a down year with a ton of injuries......everyone expected a down year or at least they should have.....they have a bunch of expiring contracts...and the 10th pick in the draft......which will net a second very good player to go with Kobe......

I would like to revisit this debate in a year and see which team is rising and which team is falling......lots of championships in laker land before Shaq ever arrived

320165[/snapback]

Faith and hope can be admirable- but I have to say I don't see another year making any difference at all unless Buss is able to get O'Neal back!

The bottom line on the Lakers from my seat is:

Kobe Bryant=Scottie Pippen

If they make the changes needed:

- a star caliber player with that 10th pick

- get rid of sucky atkins

- ship off a few of the 20 small forwards they have on the team for a legit power forward

- either move Lamar Odom for another position or move him to small forward

- resign Vlade

- Get a coach who isn't afraid to bench someone every once in a while

This team will be in the playoffs next year

This team will be in the playoffs next year

320200[/snapback]

Just using that measure- what would you predict would be the first season that the general slobbery of O'Neal will lead to his team to missing the playoffs?

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly but I predict that the heat will start having problems as soon as next year.....

The problem is that even as good as Shaq was this year...he still is just a shadow of the player that just went out and dominated every game and you could throw 4 scrubs around him and still win.....his horrible work ethic is starting to catch up to him because he is getting older....

I predict that next year he will show up out of shape....he will get hurt and want to rehab it on company time...and things will start to unravel from there.......

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly but I predict that the heat will start having problems as soon as next year.....

320266[/snapback]

My question is what year will O'Neal be so pathetic as a "star" that he will fail to carry his team to the playoffs- like Bryant did in his first season without O'Neal? One-star teams regularly make the NBA playoffs these days, I'm interested in what you see the time frame being for O'Neal to fall to the depths of the "unstars"?

I woudnt say that the heat only have one star.....Wade is a very good player.....

I just dont think he will be good enough when Shaq starts to fade...

It is a little difficult to justify my thinking right now.....I just feel that when the right players are put around kobe that he too will take his team to the playoffs....