Bills exercise 5th year options on QB Josh Allen & LB Tremaine Edmunds

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don’t think the Bills play much Tampa2 tbh. Edmunds is rarely bailing downfield as much as he is playing tackle gaps and carrying the Y or slot...in base our defense looks more like Cover4to me especially w the amount of exchange between Poyer and the 5th DB

There was a really good tweet last year that broke down in percentages how much of each coverage the Bills used in 2019 from one of the analytical sites and frustratingly I now can't find it. I haven't seen a similar breakdown for 2020 but would have been interesting to compare the two. They definitely ran a lot of cover 4 palms in 2019, and did so to really good effect their numbers in that coverage were excellent. 

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really disappointed in the Edmunds news, not a good move from a simple financial options play.  Beane does a lot of things right, but contracts is not his strongest suite.  He has consistently over sp

Beane has no idea what he’s doing    Edit: I guess I better add in here that it’s joke....

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1389236576719343619?s=19

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I just jumped back into this thread, and seeing your post reminded me of something I thought about a few months ago and again this week.  It's not my idea - I heard someone else say it.  I don't criticize McDermott often, but this point about the style of defense continues to eat at me.  

You describe the defensive style well, and why Edmunds is a good fit for it.  The style absolutely demands that you have very good pass rush out of your front four, something McDermott admits.  Otherwise, you get picked apart by the good QBs.   The Bills haven't had that pass rush - in, fact, it's hard to have consistently good pass rush from four guys, season after season.  

But even if you assume the Bills will get there, and this draft should help, there's a more fundamental problem that McDermott should see, and that is one of his other favorite subjects - complementary football.  The team works best when what the offense does meshes well with what the defense does.  

Well, whether McDermott wants to admit it or not, I think his defensive style doesn't mesh with the offense.   With Josh Allen, you're going to have a big-play, high-scoring offense.   No point in making Josh a game manager - he's a threat to score from any place on the field.   Offensively, the Bills should have one primary objective - be explosive.   More speed, more talent, better protection, because if you have that, Josh will score the football.  

What does that tell you about the defense?   The defense's job is to get the ball to Josh as soon as possible, because good things happen when Josh has the ball.   That means the bend-don't-break containment style defense that McDermott runs is the wrong style.  The right style is to be a brutal, attacking defense, high-risk, high-reward, because that style defense gets the ball back to Josh the fastest.   Yes, sometimes it gives up easy scores, but that still gets the ball back to Josh.  But it also gets takeaways, which are great for the offense, and sacks, which lead to punts, which also are great for Josh.   

McDermott's defense tends to slow the game down, and I don't think that's good for the Bills.  

And that's exactly the problem with Edmunds.  If you're playing high-risk, high-reward defense, you need an attacking middle linebacker, someone who's exploding into gaps, who's a productive blitzer, a guy making a lot of tackles.  You don't need a guy who's dropping deep, keeping everything in front of him and then closing once the play has largely unfolded.  And I guess that's the point I've been making - the Bills like Edmunds because he's the right guy for the defense as McDermott imagines it.   The real question is whether the defense that McDermott imagines is the right defense for the Bills. 

I totally agree - the issue becomes - will they change it up and risk the big play.  I am all for it now that we have the offense - changing up the defense and getting after people.

What we know is the offense (and Josh) became super explosive last year and it was even more than expected - they exceeded the wildest dreams of most Bills fans (and my guess is FO and Coaching staff alike).  The hard part is they did not get quality practice time and free time together to modify the defense completely- especially as they were still trying to figure out personnel.

My hope is with the acquisition and drafting of these bigger DEs that can play inside - we shift the focus to gap attacking DLine - and essentially 2 LB playing more outside to attack edges and a physical safety - maybe Poyer in the middle with a split safety look.  Then attack and if you get beat once in a while - so what - let Josh be the hammer and you go right back out and get it.

I don’t think Edmunds can be a strict MLB in that defense, but if they play a 4-2-5 (3 Safety) look with essentially 2 hybrid LBs playing both outside and short zone coverage - I think they can be more aggressive.  It also requires the off corner to be a bit more physical and able to stay with a WR. We will see if Dane Jackson can get some time in that type of roll or is there a cheap vet they can bring in.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I don’t think the Bills play much Tampa2 tbh. Edmunds is rarely bailing downfield as much as he is playing tackle gaps and carrying the Y or slot...in base our defense looks more like Cover4to me especially w the amount of exchange between Poyer and the 5th DB

They certainly play a lot of Cover 4 also, but that leaves the same issue - the MLB has significant coverage responsibility and it is much less aggressive toward attacking the LOS.  The Bills especially are very focused on keeping pass plays in front of them and for years have given little thought to stopping the run as a primary goal (they give it lip service, but over the years - teams that want to run over and over can).

• Like (+1) 1
22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I knew Gilmore was underrated.   Not franchise tagging him was a stupid decision.   Even if he didn't want to stay, anyone who knew how good he was knew he would have netted a high draft pick.   Maybe a #1.

Maybe they could have tagged him with a "promise" not to do it again. 😃

I wonder how many people will remember what I refer to above. 

• Haha (+1) 1
11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe they could have tagged him with a "promise" not to do it again. 😃

I wonder how many people will remember what I refer to above. 

No, they don't.

Only other teams that don't maximize the value of their controllable assets are mocked.

When Marv Levy made that "arrangement" with Nate Clements the apologists were more concerned about the goodwill that Levy was creating with the mythical union of free agents of the future. :rolleyes:   We've occasionally seen this ridiculous sentiment re-emerge.   Stupidly giving away value just makes you look weak.

Marv made the Bills organization look spineless and that snowballed into more players asking to be freed and then the shark Eugene Parker smelling blood and turning into the official player agent of the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, they don't.

Only other teams that don't maximize the value of their controllable assets are mocked.

When Marv Levy made that "arrangement" with Nate Clements the apologists were more concerned about the goodwill that Levy was creating with the mythical union of free agents of the future. :rolleyes:   We've occasionally seen this ridiculous sentiment re-emerge.   Stupidly giving away value just makes you look weak.

Marv made the Bills organization look spineless and that snowballed into more players asking to be freed and then the shark Eugene Parker smelling blood and turning into the official player agent of the Buffalo Bills.

Loved Marv but its hard to argue with this

• Like (+1) 2
50 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, they don't.

Yeah, players could just leave Buffalo if they felt like it, including Jason Peters, who was easily one of the very best players to ever wear a Bills uniform.

• Like (+1) 1