LA 92

There are other ways to watch, but here is a link to a documentary about what led up to and happened after four LAPD officers were acquitted for using excessive force during the beating of Rodney King. Using only archival footage, this is as compelling as it is difficult to watch (extreme violence warning).

I am praying that history does not repeat itself. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1

I live in SoCal and lived in LA county at the time.  It was a horrific event and lucky that someone was there to film the event.  Also luckily that people have video capabilities in their pocket at all time to document bad behavior such as this.  I never understood how the jury came to acquit with the evidence at hand.  The riots that followed were bad.  I remember being stuck in a hotel where I was working and my wife being home alone with stores being looted and burnt in between.  Scary *****. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I live in SoCal and lived in LA county at the time.  It was a horrific event and lucky that someone was there to film the event.  Also luckily that people have video capabilities in their pocket at all time to document bad behavior such as this.  I never understood how the jury came to acquit with the evidence at hand.  The riots that followed were bad.  I remember being stuck in a hotel where I was working and my wife being home alone with stores being looted and burnt in between.  Scary *****. 

They used so much archival footage from so many sources, but a main source of footage around the Florence and Normandy area was filmed by a local resident and used to convict a number of people. 

As far as the jury goes, the trial was moved out of LA County into Simi Valley. The film does a great job showing the racial tensions at the heart of the decision.

But imo, the acquital also speaks to the protection police are given by past Supreme Court rulings.

When Powell and Koons testified that they were scared for their lives and thought beating him like that was the only way to avoid using deadly force, the law absolves them unless it is able to be proven that they are lying. 

1 hour ago, Unforgiven said:

Digging deep there, must be out of any new propaganda since no one is buying cnn's lies anymore.

the event was horrible the reaction was probably more horrific

Have you watched OAN yet? Great news channel.

People were so worried and appalled that President Trump was even thinking about bringing in the National Guard to quell the unrest/riots/peaceful protesting going on last year.

Memories are short.  President Bush gave the California National Guard and active units of the US Marine Corps the green light to put down the LA riots.

16 minutes ago, dpberr said:

People were so worried and appalled that President Trump was even thinking about bringing in the National Guard to quell the unrest/riots/peaceful protesting going on last year.

Memories are short.  President Bush gave the California National Guard and active units of the US Marine Corps the green light to put down the LA riots.

Ah the good ol days when law and order was a thing.

19 hours ago, Motorin' said:

There are other ways to watch, but here is a link to a documentary about what led up to and happened after four LAPD officers were acquitted for using excessive force during the beating of Rodney King. Using only archival footage, this is as compelling as it is difficult to watch (extreme violence warning).

I am praying that history does not repeat itself. 

If you have not seen this you should watch it. Very interesting and maddening.