One thing i'm extremely interested in seeing

Is if JP Losman can throw a good wide receiver screen. That was another one of the major downfalls of Drew, he just sucked at that. He couldn't get it out and throw it quick enough and he couldn't get it accurate enough so the extra 1/3 of a second allowed the WR a chance to shake the oncoming DB and take off. God that was frustrating, and takes a lot of opportunities out of your playmakers making plays. I could easily imagine a bunch of those going to Parrish and Evans in the new MM and TC offense.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is if JP Losman can throw a good wide receiver screen. That was another one of the major downfalls of Drew, he just sucked at that. He couldn't get it out and throw it quick enough and he couldn't get it accurate enough so the extra 1/3 of a second allowed the WR a chance to shake the oncoming DB and take off. God that was frustrating, and takes a lot of opportunities out of your playmakers making plays. I could easily imagine a bunch of those going to Parrish and Evans in the new MM and TC offense.

318458[/snapback]

Heck, if he can throw ANY type of screen pass or something out into the flat and not have the ball rocket into the turf at 90 mph, I'll be thrilled!

The one thing I'll be looking for is the touch pass...we all hear about JP's big arm, but can he make the soft throw, like on screens and check-downs?

318460[/snapback]

He threw a beautiful short pass to Banta-Cain <_<:D

The one thing I'll be looking for is the touch pass...we all hear about JP's big arm, but can he make the soft throw, like on screens and check-downs?

318460[/snapback]

If he has any touch what so ever on the short passes be they screens or swing routes it will be a huge improvement. Throw his mobility into the mix (D-linemen will be focusing on where JP is, not the RB or WR) and he should be pretty darn good. I am officially stoked.

318460[/snapback]

Another throw DB could not make... <_<

I tell you, I miss the regular old RB screen. Nothing was prettier than watching Thurmal rip off 15-20 at a time. IMO, no RB I have ever seen used his blockers in the open field as well as TT.

I'd love to see Willis get a few cracks at it. Of course, we don't have Richter, Hull, Wolford, Davis or Ballard pulling out and leading the way either.

But about the WR screen, if JP can pull it off, I think that could be a GREAT play for our newest WR. <_<

But about the WR screen, if JP can pull it off, I think that could be a GREAT play for our newest WR. <_<

318525[/snapback]

I know why it's in the playbook, and I'm pleased when we pull it off, but I'm not a big fan of WR screens. It seems Clements and MM are, so I just hope they (the guys on the field) can pull them off with a fair amount of success.

I tell you, I miss the regular old RB screen. Nothing was prettier than watching Thurmal rip off 15-20 at a time. IMO, no RB I have ever seen used his blockers in the open field as well as TT.

318525[/snapback]

I'll get back to this point in a sec, but first...

The fact that JP can be elusive is an upgrade over our previous quarterback, but I'm of the mindset that assuming people will have to account for this elusiveness by assigning a spy is crazy. He's not Michael Vick, and if he thinks he's Michael Vick, then we have a problem.

Now, back to this screen remark. My memory is very bad, but I do recall a particularly big game against the fish, and it seemed to me that the entire gameplan was built around screen passes. I almost want to say it was a playoff game, sometime early, early 90s. I'm sure someone here will remember the exact game, date, score and stats. I just remember being confused that Miami would just CONTINUOUSLY overpursue. We kicked the crap out of them.

Now, back to this screen remark. My memory is very bad, but I do recall a particularly big game against the fish, and it seemed to me that the entire gameplan was built around screen passes. I almost want to say it was a playoff game, sometime early, early 90s. I'm sure someone here will remember the exact game, date, score and stats. I just remember being confused that Miami would just CONTINUOUSLY overpursue. We kicked the crap out of them.

318539[/snapback]

I wish I could remember that specific game as well. My memory is just a collection of scenes in which Thurman would catch the ball, stop for a second a scan the field, accelerate full speed and then shove one of his OLs into an oncoming tackler and picking up another 8-10 yds. And pleasantly enough, most of these memories involve white and aqua shirts.

good times, good times... <_<

I'll get back to this point in a sec, but first...

The fact that JP can be elusive is an upgrade over our previous quarterback, but I'm of the mindset that assuming people will have to account for this elusiveness by assigning a spy is crazy. He's not Michael Vick, and if he thinks he's Michael Vick, then we have a problem.

318539[/snapback]

Wasn't that the game when Thermal and the kid from Portland St (Holmes?) shredded the Fins for over 240+ yards?

I wish I could remember that specific game as well. My memory is just a collection of scenes in which Thurman would catch the ball, stop for a second a scan the field, accelerate full speed and then shove one of his OLs into an oncoming tackler and picking up another 8-10 yds. And pleasantly enough, most of these memories involve white and aqua shirts.

good times, good times... :D

318542[/snapback]

Those good times are right around the corner. Five more years and the team will be RIGHT where TD wants it. <_<

good times, good times... :)

318542[/snapback]

I loved it when he did that in the snow games against the Fins :D Ah hell, I loved it whenever he did it <_<

318458[/snapback]

My dead Mom could throw a WR screen. It takes zero skill - ge the ball, looke left or right as the case may be, and toss it. Smple. A one-armed man, or Grandma Moses can execute that play..

Wasn't that the game when Thermal and the kid from Portland St (Holmes?) shredded the Fins for over 240+ yards?

318543[/snapback]

Thats the first thing I thought of. Wildcard game, 96 playoffs. We rushed for 300+ if I recall correctly. Thurman had like 150, Holmes 100.....Christ, even Tim Tindale was breaking big ones.

But I recall that being just more up the gut running and whole bunch of counter-treys (oh what another sweet play!!)

My dead Mom could throw a WR screen. It takes zero skill - ge the ball, looke left or right as the case may be, and toss it. Smple. A one-armed man, or Grandma Moses can execute that play..

318547[/snapback]

Totally untrue. There is an enormous difference in where the ball arrives on a WR, and how fast it gets there. Bledsoe has a cannon but it probably took him longer to get the ball from the center to the WR than anyone in the league because he doesn't move fast, turn fast, set up fast and get the ball out fast. QBs that can do that get the ball to the WR so they have an essential extra step of room to have a good shot at eluding the DB who is storming up. That is why the Pats are so good at that play, because Brady is great at getting it out quick and getting it right in the WR's hands so he is mving forward and doesnt have to reach up or back or down for the ball, he can just take off.

good times, good times... <_<

318542[/snapback]

It was the AFC Championship game in Miami; I think Thurman had upwards of 100 receiving yards in the first half, all from screens. It was an amazing thing to watch because everybody watching knew what was coming yet it was unstoppable.

I don't think the NFL will ever see a better screen run out of the backfield then the years Thurman was around. His combination of hands and patience made the play a Bills staple in the early 90’s; oh how I wish I could see those screens again.

Thats the first thing I thought of. Wildcard game, 96 playoffs. We rushed for 300+ if I recall correctly. Thurman had like 150, Holmes 100.....Christ, even Tim Tindale was breaking big ones.

But I recall that being just more up the gut running and whole bunch of counter-treys (oh what another sweet play!!)

318550[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I loved when Therman went into the pile of players, Brian Cox thought for sure he was going to nail him and the next thing you know Therman rips a big gain and Cox is wondering where the hell he went.