Jerry Hughes restructuring? Rumor...

I’ve only read the first page so apologies if others have commented.  Restructuring just means his current contract in part is converted from salary to bonus so spread out over the contract (there are other nuances, but basically not a pay cut just moving $).  There is no reason for a player to not accept as they just get more $ up front.

What I’m guessing whoever reported was not a restructure, but a reduction.  For example, John Brown is $9.5 mil. against the cap and a cap reduction of let go of $8 mil.  A reduction is he is willing to reduce his contract to $7 mil., from $9.5.  That is the most logical situation.  He’s 32, plays almost every game, has a dead cap hit of $2.1 mil., and a cap hit of $9.45 mil..  They are probably asking him given his age to shade off say $2 mil.. He knows this is a tough year so he doesn’t at 32 want to be on the street.

I was listening to MTC yesterday on NFLR, and Kirwan mentioned they are up to 615 reported releases by FA time.  He speculated there most likely would see an increase to 700 in the next week or so.  What was interesting is that is approximately 35% of the 2020 league.  It’s never happened in the NFL.  Do you really think any player over 30 wants to be part of that crew.  These guys and their agents aren’t dumb.  They know of they hold the line, they’ll have to accept less than their reduction somewhere else.

Beane is smart and that is why we didn’t get Watt.  He was only willing to go so far for an over 30 guy, and AZ overpaid.  That’s a Doug Whaley move.