What's your take (Bills' 05 draft)?

I'm of course willing to give Roscoe a chance (as if he cared what I thought), but I think he's going to end up being just a good punt returner for us after failing to be a good slot receiver due to his slight build. I thought this as soon as he was drafted, and Badol's low opinion of him only strengthened my belief. He's a 4th round type prospect that we took in the 2nd round (and I know some draft guides say differently, but you're asking for my opinion, and there it is).

Everett is boom or bust because of his great natural ability but overall rawness and low experience. I'm okay with taking a chance on getting a great player with a 3rd round pick -- there's no rush for him to develop because for now we have Campbell and Euhus. In other words, this pick makes total sense, and if Everett pans out, then Losman has his security blanket for the next decade.

In summary, I think we f'ed up the 2nd rounder, and with Everett being a boom/bust type, we risk getting basically squat from the 1st day of the 2005 draft. However, I really like the second day players we drafted, especially Geiginger and King. Our second day guys are durable, smart, tough players who have proven productivity.

Let me add that the reason we didn't have a first rounder this season was, of course, JP Losman. He's the key to this draft -- basically the fate of the six guys we drafted is insignificant when compared to how important Losman is to this franchise. If Losman sucks, then it doesn't matter how good these guys are, the Bills will continue to suck.

Everett is boom or bust because of his great natural ability but overall rawness and low experience.  I'm okay with taking a chance on getting a great player with a 3rd round pick -- there's no rush for him to develop because for now we have Campbell and Euhus.  In other words, this pick makes total sense, and if Everett pans out, then Losman has his security blanket for the next decade.

317291[/snapback]

Seems like we've taken tight ends like this before... Lonnie Johnson and Bobby Collins, for example. And Keith McKeller...

Overall, I'm satisfied with the draft. We got some targets for Losman and some depth for the OL -- including a possible center-guard combination for the future in Preston and Griesinger. We improved an already excellent ST unit with Parrish and I didn't think after Nugent there was any kicker worth expending a draft choice on. Not all that pleased that we didn't take anything for the middle of the defensive line, but maybe that says more about how the staff feels about Anderson and Edwards than it does about what was available this weekend.

On first take, I'd have to say it was an abortion of a draft.

Parrish was a complete reach in the 2nd and fills no needs for a team with a return man that just went to the Pro Bowl and two others that took kicks to the house last year. I don't buy him as a WR at all. Sort of an R Jay Soward without being a complete thug. Small and quick, suspect hands and doesn't have the frame to take punishment. I was a big advocate of doing whatever it took to move up 4 spots to GB's pick at 51 for Khalif Barnes (ask anyone, I'm been apoplectic since the JAX pick). 2nd + 4th + 7th if we had to. I would have done it in a heartbeat to get a fixture at LT who'll be reaching his prime along with Evans and Losman and McGahee.

Everett won't help this year. He's a boom-bust project type player, and a decent pick in the 3rd although not a spectacular value there.

Preston in the 4th was a reach particularly with Jason Brown just sitting there (at least for 2 more picks until Baltimore stole him). Most had Preston pegged for the 6th or 7th.

King in the 5th, sounds like a Kevin Thomas clone.

Geisinger in the 6th is another project, but one with questionable footwork and short arms. Who does that sound like? Oh yeah, Pucillo.

The RB in the 7th was probably the best value we got from any selection, and he's got his work cut out just to make the roster.

The main themes seemed to be not overly bright players, who aren't particularly fond of physical contact. Not what I'd be looking for to build a football team, anyway.

This was the draft where we were supposed to get the supporting cast to develop along with our young nucleus on offense. I'm sorry, I just don't see it in these picks with the exception of Everett. There was better value picks, by far, at every stop on the way in this draft. Being a Bills fan, I hope I'm wrong, but man... I find it hard to like anything TD did (and didn't do) this weekend.

One thing we can all agree on: Only time will tell if it stacks up with 2000 as worst all-time. I give it a better-than-average shot.

Parrish was a complete reach in the 2nd and fills no needs for a team with a return man that just went to the Pro Bowl and two others that took kicks to the house last year. I don't buy him as a WR at all. Sort of an R Jay Soward without being a complete thug. Small and quick, suspect hands and doesn't have the frame to take punishment.

317330[/snapback]

Whatever you think of Soward, he was a first round pick, drafted ahead of Todd Pinkston, Jerry Porter, Laveranues Coles, and Darrell Jackson. He actually did get on the field his first year, and was the Jags' primary return guy. As with Parrish, the Jags already had two established receivers (McCardell and Smith) and simply drafted Soward to stretch the field and help their return game. The reason why Soward tanked wasn't so much talent as it was his inability to keep his nose clean. I think he got suspended at least twice for drug violations and is now in the CFL. It's not fair to compare Parrish to Soward because it was Soward's "complete thug"-ness that ran him out of the league, not his lack of talent or his ill-suitedness for the Jags' offense.

My 2 cents....

It would have been nice to see Adam Terry and Jason Brown drafted in the 2nd and 4th rounds instead of Roscoe Parrish and Duke Preston.

317338[/snapback]

Chris Kemoeatu or Rob Pettitti instead of Geisinger. Or cut bait with Coy Wire and get Shazor in the 7th.

Overall, the only thing that lets me grade this draft a 'D' is Everett's potential. Otherwise it'd be a :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: TD grade.

I think this may be a good draft for a contribution in 2006 but offers little possibility for a 2005 c0ntribution.

However, the second part of no 2005 contribution was already determined when we traded our 2005 1st rounder for JP last year (a great move given that we needed a 2005 QB and there was none to be found in this draft) and that this draft looks so weak overall.

The 5 choices for 2006 and beyond look interesting:

Parrish- Incrediblty doubtful as a starting contributor initially, but if Josh Reed does not recover his rookie form (likely) and Aiken does not develop (easily possible) we will be looking for a slot receiver in 2006 and Parrish may be him.

Everett- A reasonable flyer to take at TE as he joins another possible flyer in Peters and the seemingly rapid recovery of Euhus and/or Campbell makes this doable.

Preston- Looks like a quality pick-up in a draft which was deep at C. He should show benefits in 2006 and we will reasonably push him toward the unlikely possibility that he will be ready this year.

King- Sounds like a quality person who is a bit short to be counted upon to be a starting CB. His drafting heightens the utility of Clements continuing his development and us ovepaying him in a year the cap will balloon with the new TV contract if he continues his development from his Pro Bowl appearance this year to being one of the top corners in the league. This is nothing to be counted upon but is possible.

Teams like the high0flying Rams and new Lions squad make having two lockdown CBs and a good nickel a need rather than an option. The prescense of Clements, McGee, Thomas, Greer, Vincent and Hill on the 2005 squad makes this outcome a reality already, If Hill develops into the Winfield clone he apparently is (good hitter and cover guy but a bit short( then maybe we can play it fast and lose with FA Clements. Most likely he will not develop to this level (he is a 4th rounder and not a 1st like AW) and we will have to overpay a Clements who continues to develop or look elsewhere if he blows a gasket.

Geisinger- Interesting pick because the Bills have known about him and believed in him for years. A definite 2006 pick but most 6th rounders are future picks and particularly OL players. Bright boy (4.0) provides possibilities.

Gates- Who knows. I see him as an ST guy if anything, but most likely a likely eventual cut.

The main themes seemed to be not overly bright players, who aren't particularly fond of physical contact. Not what I'd be looking for to build a football team, anyway.

317330[/snapback]

I wouldn't put the two OL guys in that category at all:

Preston is a bright kid who learns well. He makes all the calls and adjustments for the line and knows each of his linemates’ assignments. He also excels in the classroom, garnering academic honors. (33 Wonderlic score).

Geisinger was a member of National Honor Society and high honor roll student, graduating with a 4.0 grade point average in high school (29 Wonderlic score).

Both are blue collar maulers who should fit right in as interior backups and down-the-road starters.

As far as contact goes, even though I'm not a fan of the Parrish pick, the video I saw on the kid shows he's got a bit of spunk and doesn't shy away from contact. The same with King.

Yeah, this draft class wasn't a big name group that we can crow about because of all the national press they got...but so what. They seem like competitive guys who will improve the teams depth and might provide a surprise or two.

Chris Kemoeatu or Rob Pettitti instead of Geisinger. Or cut bait with Coy Wire and get Shazor in the 7th.

Overall, the only thing that lets me grade this draft a 'D' is Everett's potential. Otherwise it'd be a :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: TD grade.

317351[/snapback]

Can I ask where you're getting your player info from (draft guides, video, etc.). Just curious.

One thing we can all agree on: Only time will tell if it stacks up with 2000 as worst all-time. I give it a better-than-average shot.

317330[/snapback]

No, who says we all agree with that? You gave your opinions of these players, noone said their right and theyre probably not.

The Roscoe pick blows - not because he isn't a fair player - but 2nd round? We could have had a vet 3rd/slot WR from friggin anywhere. There were a bazillion more values for that pick. I like the TE, CB and Gelsinger pick. Don't know enough about the other picks to have an opinion.

Our ass is out on the wind until a LT and a DT step up or step in.

Charles

from pwf.com on taking Duke versus Jason Brown who was selected two picks later by Baltimore....

Buffalo reached on Illinois C Raymond "Duke" Preston and may have made a mistake passing on Jason Brown of North Carolina, whom Baltimore nabbed two picks later. Preston is a solid technician with NFL pedigree who was likely a favorite of offensive line coach Jim McNally. Brown is a tough, smart, powerful, motivated pivot who could turn out to be a solid starter at the next level.

I wouldn't put the two OL guys in that category at all:

Preston is a bright kid who learns well. He makes all the calls and adjustments for the line and knows each of his linemates’ assignments. He also excels in the classroom, garnering academic honors. (33 Wonderlic score).

Geisinger was a member of National Honor Society and high honor roll student, graduating with a 4.0 grade point average in high school  (29 Wonderlic score).

317381[/snapback]

I agree ... the 'Canes are 'Canes, they aren't there to solve world hunger, or perform complex mathmatical problems associated with balancing checkbooks. Let's be honest, the Miami football program is a generally considered an alternative to Jail/Prison in south Florida. But, we must not let them drag down the others guys drafted. the 4th-6th round guys are all bright, blue collar guys.

I could care less what any guide or amateur draftnik thinks about the OL picks. I'm sure McNally thought they were good picks, and Preston has an outside chance to start, seeing as how one scout said he's "not a developmental type." I liked the Everett pick as well. The CB and RB may or may not pan-out. However Parrish I think will be a good returnman at the least, allowing McGee to concentrate on CB. Whether he becomes a good #3 WR remains to be seen, but if they put him in motion, he should be fine.

All in all, this was a lousy draft class.

I'm of course willing to give Roscoe a chance (as if he cared what I thought), but I think he's going to end up being just a good punt returner for us after failing to be a good slot receiver due to his slight build. I thought this as soon as he was drafted, and Badol's low opinion of him only strengthened my belief.  He's a 4th round type prospect that we took in the 2nd round (and I know some draft guides say differently, but you're asking for my opinion, and there it is).

Everett is boom or bust because of his great natural ability but overall rawness and low experience.  I'm okay with taking a chance on getting a great player with a 3rd round pick -- there's no rush for him to develop because for now we have Campbell and Euhus.  In other words, this pick makes total sense, and if Everett pans out, then Losman has his security blanket for the next decade.

In summary, I think we f'ed up the 2nd rounder, and with Everett being a boom/bust type, we risk getting basically squat from the 1st day of the 2005 draft.  However, I really like the second day players we drafted, especially Geiginger and King.  Our second day guys are durable, smart, tough players who have proven productivity.

Let me add that the reason we didn't have a first rounder this season was, of course, JP Losman.  He's the key to this draft -- basically the fate of the six guys we drafted is insignificant when compared to how important Losman is to this franchise.  If Losman sucks, then it doesn't matter how good these guys are, the Bills will continue to suck.

317291[/snapback]

co-sign