Ignored Major Problem

Complaints about the Bills less than overt attempts to fix the offensive line notwithstanding, as big a concern, perhaps, is the fact that we still have Lindell as our kicker. 

There have got to be some free agents out there who can kick.

317179[/snapback]

Was there a better kicker available in the draft when we were picking?

a great kicker is surprisingly hard to find... you would think in a world of 6 billion people, you'd be able to find 32 that can nail field goals consistently...

we needed to get lucky to get Nugent... we didn't... let's replace Lindell next offseason... we weren't going to win the Super Bowl this year anyway

One of the dumbest comment TD ever made was a statement that good enough kickers are a dime a diozen which he made in the context of Arians failing to be an adequate replacement for Christie,

His words may be true to the extent he brought in Graham to replace Ariens, but let him go when he found a better kicker (Hollis) only to have Graham become a good kicker for CIN.

Meanwhile, Hollis proved to be a good kicker for the Bills, but psychotic (or at least neurotic) like many kickers and TD could not get a deal done with him only to see Hollis fall to injury.

He over-reached contractually on Lindell. Lindell is actually an improving kicker who may become adequate next season. However, he simply sucked his first season for us and improved (his KOs were great and his onsides were good last year) in '04. However, his miss of a chipshot against Pitts and some odd timing which saw him never hit a crucial FG over 50 yards (though he never missed one either as he oddly has never has been in a crticial position for the Bills in two years of play left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

The big deal though is the contract over-reach because unless the replacement kicker was a sure thing (Vinateri or Vanderjagt) cutting Lindell and looking elsewhere makes very little football sense,

i think Nugent MAY have been a semi-reasonable choice for the Bills if he dropped to the 3rd or lower for just the right reasons, but it was always near impossible that cutting Lindell to get him was ever possible.

Complaints about the Bills less than overt attempts to fix the offensive line notwithstanding, as big a concern, perhaps, is the fact that we still have Lindell as our kicker. 

There have got to be some free agents out there who can kick.

317179[/snapback]

Anyone who thought they could "fix" the OL with the draft is kidding themselves. The draft is a crap shoot. The draft will be a success if two of these guys are still on the roster in '08.

Anyone who thought they could "fix" the OL with the draft is kidding themselves. The draft is a crap shoot. The draft will be a success if two of these guys are still on the roster in '08.

317302[/snapback]

Especially considering one of them is 5'9" 169.

we weren't going to win the Super Bowl this year anyway

317209[/snapback]

If we're not in it this year for the Super Bowl, then what the hell are we playing at all for??!!! Of course we're in it for the Super Bowl -- THIS YEAR. In this world of free agency, EVERY year you've got to be in it to win it all -- there's no more building franchises through the draft like the Cowboys did in the 70's. I expect the Bills to be focusing on the Super Bowl this year. If they are not, then they shouldn't even bother suiting up.

a great kicker is surprisingly hard to find... you would think in a world of 6 billion people, you'd be able to find 32 that can nail field goals consistently...

we needed to get lucky to get Nugent... we didn't... let's replace Lindell next offseason... we weren't going to win the Super Bowl this year anyway

317209[/snapback]

Amen. I knew a guy who was 6'0", 225lb, and practiced longsnapping every day for 6 years. He got a free ride to College and an invite to an NFL camp.

You'd think there would be some soccer player kicking field goals every day in Ireland just for the heck of it.

I really wanted Nugent and think he would've single handedly had more impact than all of the players we drafted combined next season. However, it seems if Donahoe really would've considered this guy, we could've moved up 10 spots or so and got this guy. Disappointing as it may be, the braintrust must not have been seriously considering Nugent unless he absolutely fell into our lap.

317302[/snapback]

Ya ain't fixin' the line by drafting WRs and receiving TEs.

What's up with Novak? He got some good press before the draft, but didn't get drafted. I thought he would go in the late 6th or 7th.

I never saw him play, just read the articles. Sounds like he could be a good kicker, but maybe not so hot at kicking off...although Lindell is lacking there as well. Anyone know about him?

I say Pochman beats out Lindell.

317702[/snapback]

kicking FGs isn't the only way a K helps the team. part of the bills' vast improvement on ST last year includes KO coverage, and by all accounts lindell was excellent in his kick placement throughout the year -- a factor that should not be underestimated.

like all of you, i was disappointed w/ the FG inadequacies, but i'm hoping the guy continues to improve in that area (and is given some more opportunities to make the long ones this year).