Lessons about the NFL draft

1. Forget these "rumors" from these so called "experts"...so after all these reports that the Bills were close to sending TH everywhere, where is he after all this? STILL in Buffalo. Nice job experts, what a load of crap, I need to find a job like that. Sit around in an office and start a rumor or two and sell some papers, get people to sign up for E$PN In$ider, unreal! From now on when I read these "Rumors" Ill believe that as much as George Siefert being in Buffalo Airport means he is the next HC of the Bills!

2. Just because your team does not make any trades to move up or down, or take the players the media loves, it does not mean that your team did not have a good draft. Unfortnately we are in the "Madden Era" of trades, sure it looks good on Madden 2005, why cant it happen in real life?!?

3. I have not seen many of these players play in person. The Bills 2 Miami picks I did, and I like the picks, but I cannot understand, unless you have watched almost all the players, one can REALLY assess the draft just from reading countless articles online or hearing about other opinions. Im not making statement about players based on info fron some "expert" who is getting their info from other people.

I said my peace. Bring on the season.

The stupidest thing is that tomorrow the experts will grade all the team's drafts. It means abolutely nothing - it's like getting a grade before the semester starts - the grade comes in 3 years!!

The stupidest thing is that tomorrow the experts will grade all the team's drafts.  It means abolutely nothing - it's like getting a grade before the semester starts - the grade comes in 3 years!!

317159[/snapback]

And of course people will read it and interpet it like Gospel....well they said it, it has to be right! :devil:

Another thing that I've learned watching 10 years of this stuff: Don't expect anything, b/c you're going to be disappointed.

Have hopes, have dreams. But when the pick doesn't fall or the team just before us picks the guy you want, be peeved if you want for an hour or a day, but accept reality and move forward. B/c you can't do much about it.

Same goes for the season....

1.  Forget these "rumors" from these so called "experts"...so after all these reports that the Bills were close to sending TH everywhere, where is he after all this?  STILL in Buffalo.  Nice job experts, what a load of crap, I need to find a job like that.  Sit around in an office and start a rumor or two and sell some papers, get people to sign up for E$PN In$ider, unreal!  From now on when I read these "Rumors" Ill believe that as much as George Siefert being in Buffalo Airport means he is the next HC of the Bills!

2. Just because your team does not make any trades to move up or down, or take the players the media loves, it does not mean that your team did not have a good draft. Unfortnately we are in the "Madden Era" of trades, sure it looks good on Madden 2005, why cant it happen in real life?!?

3.  I have not seen many of these players play in person.  The Bills 2 Miami picks I did, and I like the picks, but I cannot understand, unless you have watched almost all the players, one can REALLY assess the draft just from reading countless articles online or hearing about other opinions.  Im not making statement about players based on info fron some "expert" who is getting their info from other people.

I said my peace.  Bring on the season.

317147[/snapback]

Great post.

Even stupider are the draft sites that will call players reaches or steals based on where THEY thought the player would be picked. Here are some of the Sporting News value board differences (from the magazine's 4/29 issue): Kay-Jay Harris 3rd, Gore& Clarett 6th, Joel Dreessen 3rd, Michael Munoz 3rd, Logan Mankins 4th, Adam Terry 5th, Michael Roos 6th, CJ Brooks 4th, Ben Wilkerson 2nd, Scott Mruczkowski 4th, Richie Incognito 6th, Bill Swancutt 3rd, Anttaj Hawthorne 2nd, Jon Babineaux 3rd.

Let the GMs do their jobs-unless you're talking about the guys who were running Cleveland until this year-a three year old randomly picking could have done better than those guys.

Great post! Unfortunately there will be the same crap on this board next year, and the year after that.

I've been watching loyally since around 95. The first couple years I was like the most on this board. If the Bills didn't take a player I wanted, or one of the publications said another player was better than the player the Bills took, then I thought it was a horrible pick. Also if the Bills took a player I never heard of, it sucked.

Quickly i've learned that these publications are only good for reading while sitting on the crapper. All the "experts" who decides to write about what makes a good or bad draft opinions are just as biased as the average fan.

For example, just about everyone here, including myself have been calling for Wilkerson and Munoz since the 2nd round. They are undrafted, meanwhile, in between all the criticizing of each pick, the Bills have added some pretty good players who will contribute. That tells me that none of us know anything about the injuries of Wilkerson and Munoz.

Let the GMs do their jobs-unless you're talking about the guys who were running Cleveland until this year-a three year old randomly picking could have done better than those guys.

317190[/snapback]

And the Bengals. They don't have anything that could remotely be labeled a "scouting department." Mike Brown is a cheapskate idiot. But what the hey, as long as they remain bottom-dwellers, that's all right.

They were sold on such talents as Kijana Carter, David Klingler, Dan Wilkinson, Akili Smith.... And since I don't have the next hour free, I'll stop there.

And the Bengals. They don't have anything that could remotely be labeled a "scouting department." Mike Brown is a cheapskate idiot. But what the hey, as long as they remain bottom-dwellers, that's all right.

They were sold on such talents as Kijana Carter, David Klingler, Dan Wilkinson, Akili Smith.... And since I don't have the next hour free, I'll stop there.

317198[/snapback]

Man did the Bengals have some putrid drafts...but now it seems they have turned the corner.

So cbssportsline grades the Bills draft a C? Well, I guess its a bust then!!! :(:lol:

The stupidest thing is that tomorrow the experts will grade all the team's drafts.  It means abolutely nothing - it's like getting a grade before the semester starts - the grade comes in 3 years!!

317159[/snapback]

you can always pass the time by grading the bills '02 draft......hopefully this year's class doesn't turn out like that.......

1.  Forget these "rumors" from these so called "experts"...so after all these reports that the Bills were close to sending TH everywhere, where is he after all this?  STILL in Buffalo.  Nice job experts, what a load of crap, I need to find a job like that.  Sit around in an office and start a rumor or two and sell some papers, get people to sign up for E$PN In$ider, unreal!  From now on when I read these "Rumors" Ill believe that as much as George Siefert being in Buffalo Airport means he is the next HC of the Bills!

3.  I have not seen many of these players play in person.  The Bills 2 Miami picks I did, and I like the picks, but I cannot understand, unless you have watched almost all the players, one can REALLY assess the draft just from reading countless articles online or hearing about other opinions.  Im not making statement about players based on info fron some "expert" who is getting their info from other people.

I said my peace.  Bring on the season.

317147[/snapback]

My dad always used to say, believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear. Some good wisdom to live by