Round 5: Eric King

SDS

Scouting Report: Eric King

Vital Statistics

Position: CB School: Wake Forest

Height: 5-10 Weight: 185 lbs.

King is a solid cover corner who left Wake Forest second on the all-time list in pass breakups with 39. He received accolades every year, as he was a regular on All-ACC Teams from 2002 to 2004. King was named the team MVP in 2003 with 59 tackles, 18 passes defended, and three picks. He plays well on the line, as he had six stops for losses, two sacks and a pair of forced fumbles in '04. His father, Eric, played basketball professionally in Venezuela. Slightly undersized for the NFL, King always seemed to make plays in the talented ACC.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/king_eric

"A starter since the early stages of his freshman year, King is a solid cover cornerback with great catch-up speed, leaping ability and natural hands. He is called by the coaching staff a "take charge" kind of player who makes sure everybody is doing what their supposed to in terms of lifting and running. The unquestioned field general, the Demon Deacon players all followed his lead. King is a fine playmaker who always seems to be around the football."

From nfl.com:

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a small frame, but shows good muscle definition … Durable athlete who missed only one game during his career due to injuries … Well-respected leader who does the little extras to succeed … Has very good overall speed and foot agility … Has the leaping ability to get to the ball at its highest point and make the interception … Best when playing in zone coverage, as he makes plays in front of him and shows a quick break on the ball … Quick to recognize route progressions and has excellent range.

Negatives: Frame has reached maximum growth potential … Has good field smarts, but just gets by in school … Has marginal man coverage skills (see 2004 Clemson game vs. Airese Currie), as he takes extra steps in transition and is slow to turn and come out of his backpedal … Because of this, receivers can out-run him, negating his foot speed … Not very physical working near the line and will not explode behind his tackles … Lacks desire to support vs. the run … More of a shoestring type of tackler, lacking wrap-up technique.

INJURY REPORT

1998 -- Underwent right shoulder surgery in August.

2004 -- Missed the Miami game with a left hamstring pull.

2005 -- Could not complete the agility tests at the Combines when his left hamstring tightened.

Greg Benjamin is a senior staff writer for On the Clock Draft.

Greg Benjamin: This is Greg Benjamin from On The Clock Draft. I am speaking with two-time All-ACC cornerback from Wake Forest Eric King. How are you doing today Eric?

Eric King: I’m doing good Greg.

Greg: What would be your accurate height, weight, and 40 time?

Eric: My height is around 5’9” and I’m about 185 and my 40 time is around a 4.44.

Greg: Do you feel you have the height to compete against taller wide receivers in the NFL?

Eric: I feel that I’m a good cornerback and that I have good coverage ability and with my competitive nature I feel that I can match up with anybody.

Greg: What made you decide to attend Wake Forest?

Eric: Coming out of high school basically it was down to Maryland and Wake Forest and withy both teams being in the ACC I wanted to go to a good school like Wake Forest and be able to get out of state.

Greg: You played in the Gridiron Classic last weekend. How was that experience go for you?

Eric: It went pretty well. I really enjoyed meeting a lot of the guys and some of the practices we had. I also enjoyed the Orlando sun.

Greg: Do you have a plan for the offseason when it comes to preparing for the combine, pro day, and ultimately the draft?

Eric: Yes right now I’m in Atlanta as we speak working out at Competitive Edge Sports with Chip Smith and just getting ready to get a little bit bigger, stronger, and faster so that I’ll be able to run a good 40 and test well at the combine.

Greg: What would you say was your best football moment?

Eric: I actually had two of them. One of them was a tackle on Greg Jones as a sophomore and my junior year my interception on Phillip Rivers of N.C. State to seal a victory.

Greg: Who would you say is the best player you’ve ever faced?

Eric: As a sophomore up in Wake Forest that year we played Florida State and Anquan Boldin was the best receiver I matched up on.

Greg: What is it like to play against a guy like that then the next year to see him in the NFL breaking records and doing the things that he did as a rookie?

Eric: (laughing) Well at the time I really had to look myself in the mirror and ask myself was I a really good football player and the following year when I saw him in the NFL breaking records and doing some of the same things to some of those pro guys, I realized I wasn’t too far off.

Greg: What is your best attribute?

I think my best attribute is my football sense as well as my hips and my feet and just using that to cover all types of receivers from big to small.

Greg: Is there a particular type of coverage that you are more comfortable in?

Eric: Personally I think I’m more comfortable with man to man coverage. The fact that I can get my hands on guys sometimes and during my training I want to work on getting a little bit stronger and a little bit bigger and faster so that I’ll be able to cover guys and I think that my ability to run and open up my hips and use my feet help me in man to man coverage as well.

Greg: Is there an NFL player that you try to mold your game after?

Eric: I try to take pieces of my game from a guy like Dre’ Bly who is a smaller guy like myself with his playmaking ability. And another smaller guy like Antoine Winfield and the way he’s able to cover and tackle as well.

Greg: Is there anything about your game you feel you need to improve on to excel at the professional level?

Eric: Yeah I would like to get a little stronger, as well as a little bit faster, and just work on all of my different types of techniques that I use. I think I’m still a little bit raw and I can get better in a lot of areas.

Greg: How do you feel you stack up against the other corners in the draft?

Eric: I think I’m right up there with everybody else. I think I’m a pretty good corner who comes from a good conference and I’m a guy who started 41-42 games so I have a lot of game experience and I think I match up well with anybody.

Greg: Do you have any expectations as far as what round you think you will or should be drafted in?

Eric: I don’t want to really give myself expectations that are too high. But I also set goals for myself and one of my goals is just to work hard and get better and go the highest round and the highest draft pick as possible.

Greg: What will the team that drafts you be getting?

Eric: They’re going to get a good guy first of all. They’re going to get a good person who wants to work hard and better himself. And somebody who is going to get out there and make plays and use his football sense as well as his speed and quickness in order to make plays for a professional football team.

Greg: Ok Eric, those are all the questions I have for you today, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to answer them and I wish you luck in the draft.

Eric: Thanks a lot.

Transcribed by Greg Benjamin.

Conducted on January 19, 2005

Donahoe stinks! If we don't take a tackle in the second round of the draft this year we will completely fail! A tackle in the second round will make or break our season!

Scouting Report: Eric King

Vital Statistics

Position: CB School: Wake Forest

Height: 5-10 Weight: 185 lbs.

King is a solid cover corner who left Wake Forest second on the all-time list in pass breakups with 39. He received accolades every year, as he was a regular on All-ACC Teams from 2002 to 2004. King was named the team MVP in 2003 with 59 tackles, 18 passes defended, and three picks. He plays well on the line, as he had six stops for losses, two sacks and a pair of forced fumbles in '04. His father, Eric, played basketball professionally in Venezuela. Slightly undersized for the NFL, King always seemed to make plays in the talented ACC.

316534[/snapback]