Allen leads NFL in lowest % of uncatchable passes from a clean pocket...Wow!

Big Turk

On 12/31/2020 at 10:44 AM, Shaw66 said:

I'm so in love with Allen, I'm hopeless.   I have to defend Allen against these "chip-on-the-shoulder" claims.   Yes, I know that when asked, Allen has said he'd like to prove some people wrong, but I don't think he's driven by that.   Allen is driven simply by wanting to be good.   I think he's pure, good-natured competitor, without the edge.   There's no hate, no nastiness in the guy. 

Aaron Rodgers is the guy with the chip on the shoulder.  He's been very frank about it for years.   He's perpetually pissed off that other teams didn't take him and pissed off that the Packers sat him for three years.   There are plenty of reports about the fact that some, even many, of his teammates don't like him.   HE's quick to blame others.   I don't say any of that to dismiss his greatness - it's taken me a long time to recognize it, but he is one of a very few true greats.   His decision making, his quick delivery and arm strength, his accuracy, his running ability, everything, is superb.  But he's not very likable.  Even his State Farm ads show his tendency to lord it over others, when he throws the tennis ball out of sight or hits his driver on the run, both actions being done to show up Jake.  

Allen doesn't have that edge about him.  He's not motivated to prove people wrong.  He's motivated simply because he's always been motivated.  He was born that way or raised that way.   He was a great student in high school, and a great, motivated athlete.   He didn't go to junior college to prove anyone wrong - he went because he wanted to play, and it was the highest level of competition that wanted him.  He didn't go to Wyoming to prove anyone wrong - he went because he wanted to paly and it was the highest level that wanted him.   He didn't come to Buffalo to prove anyone wrong - he came because he wanted to play at the highest level.   He doesn't plan with anger.   He rarely, if ever, says "I told you so."  He just wants to play, and play well.  

I whole heartedly agree that JA is all of those things you say he is. The fact is though, that he has been told he wasn't good enough. Especially so, that he wasn't good enough to be a franchise QB in the NFL (by so called experts). That he wasn't accurate enough.

I find it hard to believe that that doesn't put a "chip on his shoulder"..... at some level, it has to. It's not a bad thing, not at all. He can have that "chip on his shoulder" and still be all those things you said he is. He just internalizes it to motivate himself to be the best player he can be. Maybe saying that it "pissed him off" is more of a misnomer and saying that it aggravated him enough is more accurate; to work that much harder, or put in that extra study time.... or whatever it is that he has done for himself to take that next step in his evolution as a player to make himself an elite player. 

As for Rogers...... agreed. I've read enough and see enough people talk about him to know you are right about him. That dude is an a-hole 🤣