How players make each other look better.

PrimeTime101

So before I get started this is not another Josh Allen thread. This is more of how Josh makes our WR core better and how our WR core makes Josh better. But lets start out with quotes on when players came to buffalo. Also we will look at hard stats along with what the player specifically does for the team. Some people think QB should make the WR look better, where as other people think the WR makes the QB look better. Lets get into this.

Starting with Josh Allen. Just base career stats to compare year by year as our WR team gets better and then identify the differences from year to year.

NCvNnK.png

Josh's rookie year was rough based on A. he was a rookie and B. what he had around him. But the one thing not talked about is from year one to year two. TD to INT ratio improved by 1.8. Our line got better and we got a guy named Smoke. So lets continue the story with Brown.

pZwG4R.png

Notice how Browns first year was a career best with buffalo. As he and a better Line came, so did Allen's numbers improve. Brown had best yards per game last year by far and obviously has looked better as a Bill.  The problem is as he has gotten older, his injury issues have gotten worse. this is problematic because brown stretches fields and we need this on a regular basis. We have another player Davis that is doing well.. BUT Weeks 5-7 was rough as Josh's numbers clearly went down those weeks he was gone.

Next up. Cole Beasely. 

B4hMCu.png

Buffalo needed a slot WR and we got a good one. The first year with us he had a better the average year, actually this was is second best year period and  if that wasn't good enough he is having a career year this year. Cole is one of the best in the game in the slot and breaks ankles. when we are being blitzed Josh is more likely going to get it to Cole more often then not. One thing I did notice in improvement with him is when we added Diggs. They meshed right away with no preseason and having 2 solid rout runners on the team, Beasley pushes Diggs to be better and vise versa. Great combo to have.

Next up. Stefon Diggs.. Can you Digg it?

f061sf.png

Oh we heard it all on this trade.. Horrible trade.. Would do bad in Buffalo.. Wont get as many yards... They were stupid wrong. With the addition of Digg's, Josh Allen has gotten better.. Beasley has gotten better.. Hell one would think Brown might have amazing like numbers if he were healthy and one would only wonder if Brown was healthy all season where would Allen's stats be? hmm Moving on.. Lets look at Digg's numbers.

The best way to compare Digg's to another year was 2018 when Digg's caught over 100 passes. That year he was targeted 149 times this year so far 134. One could expect Josh will throw it to him at least 25+ more times. He is in his prime also having a career year at 1167 yards... Digg's is a better player all the way around.. In Buffalo.. With Josh... Cole. so why is this? Why is he better in Buffalo? because the players around him are better..

Its that simple.   Buffalo has become a perm. home for any WR that wants to go to a team and get lots of yards. 

It was talked about during the Tyrod years (I know I know who?) that the QB should make the WR better not the other way around.. and this point was argued over a few long threads. I say talented players make other talented player look better no matter the position.. But FIT is important to.

Brown is a business guy.. Get me the ball deep. Beasley brings the energy. Diggs brings massive leadership. Oh and yea Josh? with this kind of talent around him? he is going to get better to. You see its not just about a player... its about the team and the story you want your team to tell.

Ignore the haters. Enjoy the ride.

image.png

Isn't those numbers nuts lol. Be safe all

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nice post! 
yes talent makes other talent better, and visa versa, Look at the crap we had at receiver in Allen’s first year, what QB does well with that crew? The overall talent level, and good coaching as a combination makes or breaks a team, it’s always been that way, ya gotta have all the pieces.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Excellent post, nice deep dive and good analysis - THANKS!

Scary how alllll of this is coming together when it is.  Even the D is pulling together.....will be an AWESOME ride for the rest of this month, January and dare we think it?  February!!!!

Go BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So I'm as happy as can be with our top 3 WR... but I have to hold myself back from mentioning the possible monster we are grooming (and supposedly a second one in reserve - and since the players were right about the first one I'm going to take a leap of faith an trust the second is almost as good as the first).

I took the time to go back and check the rookie WR stats all the way back to Andre Reed and here are the top rookie WR performances:

1) Lee Evans (our #1 WR from the start basically)

48/74 for 943yds with 9 tds

2) Sammy Watkins (our #1 from the start)

65/128 for 982 yds with 6 tds

3) Andre Reed (I don't know where he was in the pecking order - can someone that was alive fill me in here?)

48/ (N/A) for 637 yds with 4 tds

4) Robert Woods (drafted and used as our #2)

40/85 for 587 yds and 3 tds

and our monster in waiting:

Gabriel Davis (OUR #4 WR....)

28/47 for 441 yds with 6 tds .... and 3 games to play.....

I'm so excited to see what becomes of this kid - we are building up John Brown's eventual replacement. Keep in mind I like Brown and hope he ends his career with us, but he only has 1 more year on his contract, and given his injury history I would almost offer him a new extension contract to lessen the cap hit and keep him on for say, 3 total years. He's slotted to make 9.75m(for the 2021 season) a extension/restructure that say adds 10 million as the signing bonus but puts him on the team to the end of 2023 but makes his 2021 contract money be 1m would be pretty good imo. 

I know this totally went into a tangent but I want to finish this thought - feel free to ignore:

John Brown Current Contract:

(age 31) Ends after 2021 - Cap hit of 9.75m - dead cap 1.6m

Extension/Restructure proposal

Ends after 2023 - total 19m with signing bonus of 10m

(age 31) 2021 Cap hit - 1m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

(age 32) 2022 Cap hit - 4m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

(age 33) 2022 Cap hit - 4m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

2023 possible dead cap 2m max pending prior years deferred bonus amount

2024 possible dead cap 2m max pending prior years deferred bonus amount

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So before I get started this is not another Josh Allen thread. This is more of how Josh makes our WR core better and how our WR core makes Josh better. But lets start out with quotes on when players came to buffalo. Also we will look at hard stats along with what the player specifically does for the team. Some people think QB should make the WR look better, where as other people think the WR makes the QB look better. Lets get into this.

Starting with Josh Allen. Just base career stats to compare year by year as our WR team gets better and then identify the differences from year to year.

• Raw rookie with HORRID receivers and Tight Ends
  • Slightly improved 2nd year QB play, but still making HORRID rookie mistakes. With some improvements to the receivers and Tight Ends.
  • Significantly improved 3nd year QB player, not making HORRID rookie mistakes, familiarity with Beasley and Brown and the addition of Diggs = Success.

1 hour ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

So I'm as happy as can be with our top 3 WR... but I have to hold myself back from mentioning the possible monster we are grooming (and supposedly a second one in reserve - and since the players were right about the first one I'm going to take a leap of faith an trust the second is almost as good as the first).

I took the time to go back and check the rookie WR stats all the way back to Andre Reed and here are the top rookie WR performances:

1) Lee Evans (our #1 WR from the start basically)

48/74 for 943yds with 9 tds

2) Sammy Watkins (our #1 from the start)

65/128 for 982 yds with 6 tds

3) Andre Reed (I don't know where he was in the pecking order - can someone that was alive fill me in here?)

48/ (N/A) for 637 yds with 4 tds

4) Robert Woods (drafted and used as our #2)

40/85 for 587 yds and 3 tds

and our monster in waiting:

Gabriel Davis (OUR #4 WR....)

28/47 for 441 yds with 6 tds .... and 3 games to play.....

I'm so excited to see what becomes of this kid - we are building up John Brown's eventual replacement. Keep in mind I like Brown and hope he ends his career with us, but he only has 1 more year on his contract, and given his injury history I would almost offer him a new extension contract to lessen the cap hit and keep him on for say, 3 total years. He's slotted to make 9.75m(for the 2021 season) a extension/restructure that say adds 10 million as the signing bonus but puts him on the team to the end of 2023 but makes his 2021 contract money be 1m would be pretty good imo. 

I know this totally went into a tangent but I want to finish this thought - feel free to ignore:

John Brown Current Contract:

(age 31) Ends after 2021 - Cap hit of 9.75m - dead cap 1.6m

Extension/Restructure proposal

Ends after 2023 - total 19m with signing bonus of 10m

(age 31) 2021 Cap hit - 1m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

(age 32) 2022 Cap hit - 4m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

(age 33) 2022 Cap hit - 4m + (2m minimum or calculated deferred bonus amount - this is dead cap for the year)

2023 possible dead cap 2m max pending prior years deferred bonus amount

2024 possible dead cap 2m max pending prior years deferred bonus amount

Thanks for adding to this. I think this staff knows how to put together the right pieces if a piece presents itself

49 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

• Raw rookie with HORRID receivers and Tight Ends
  • Slightly improved 2nd year QB play, but still making HORRID rookie mistakes. With some improvements to the receivers and Tight Ends.
  • Significantly improved 3nd year QB player, not making HORRID rookie mistakes, familiarity with Beasley and Brown and the addition of Diggs = Success.

Exactly my point. an INT isnt just a QB problem.. could of been the WR problem. Everyone is in this together.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Nice post! 
yes talent makes other talent better, and visa versa, Look at the crap we had at receiver in Allen’s first year, what QB does well with that crew? The overall talent level, and good coaching as a combination makes or breaks a team, it’s always been that way, ya gotta have all the pieces.

Go Bills!!!

Thanks .. when Taylor was around, how many long posted fights did people have about QB making WR better or WR making QB better. The data doesn't show that!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Wait until he gets a playmaking TE

Next year yep...  But it cant just be anyone.. has to fit our needs. I think our need is a TE that can block and drop a LB easy and pinch on a de before a rout at the same time has speed if he run right away can get down field fast (must know how to catch a ball with some friggen consistency)  Having an extra speed guy like a TE running down the middle of the field going to give Safeties Migraines. We need a MEAN attitude type player at TE

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Next year yep...  But it cant just be anyone.. has to fit our needs. I think our need is a TE that can block and drop a LB easy and pinch on a de before a rout at the same time has speed if he run right away can get down field fast (must know how to catch a ball with some friggen consistency)  Having an extra speed guy like a TE running down the middle of the field going to give Safeties Migraines. We need a MEAN attitude type player at TE

I’m liking Charlie Kolar from Iowa State or Kenny Yeboah from wait...Ole Miss. Lol

• Like (+1) 1