ROCKPILE REVIEW - Big Win

Shaw66

13 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Honestly I think they did manhandle them on both sides of the ball. This game never felt as close as it got when Seattle closed it to within 7 points briefly, it kind of felt like when the Bills were up 21 most of the game.

They attacked on both sides of the ball and for the most part dominated. Seattle was never really in the game. They never were even tied except for the first 1:23 of the game before the Bills took a 7-0 lead 3 plays after the opening kickoff. Before you blinked it was 14-0.

I think it's hard to say the Bills manhandled when they allowed the best offense in the league to score more than their average points per game and get above their average yards per game.   The Bills certainly did not shut down the Seahawks.   The story of the game was that the Bills offense is every bit as good as Seattle's, and the defense made plays.  

The most encouraging thing to me was that the defense just seemed different, even though they gave up a lot of yards and points - again.  They made some big plays, as I said, but they also seemed to be attacking individually.  Someone commented that Klein seemed to be playing with speed, instead of tentatively.  Edmunds played like that too.  If those two can contribute more than they were a few weeks ago, that would go a long way.   Plus, the Bills really are getting high level play out of Hughes and Addison, and if they can get some better play in the middle of the line, the defense may start to look like what we expected.  

36 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think it's hard to say the Bills manhandled when they allowed the best offense in the league to score more than their average points per game and get above their average yards per game.   The Bills certainly did not shut down the Seahawks.   The story of the game was that the Bills offense is every bit as good as Seattle's, and the defense made plays.  

The most encouraging thing to me was that the defense just seemed different, even though they gave up a lot of yards and points - again.  They made some big plays, as I said, but they also seemed to be attacking individually.  Someone commented that Klein seemed to be playing with speed, instead of tentatively.  Edmunds played like that too.  If those two can contribute more than they were a few weeks ago, that would go a long way.   Plus, the Bills really are getting high level play out of Hughes and Addison, and if they can get some better play in the middle of the line, the defense may start to look like what we expected.  

They allowed a bunch of garbage time yards but when the game was still a game in the first half Wilson only had 145 yards.

Either way, Seattle never really was in the game and Wilson was forced to press more than he wanted.

Edited by matter2003

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They allowed a bunch of garbage time yards but when the game was still a game in the first half Wilson only had 145 yards.

Either way, Seattle never really was in the game and Wilson was forced to press more than he wanted.

Thanks, those are good points.   That late long TD pass really helped inflate the Seahawks' numbers.  

I can't say Seattle never really was in the game.  With their offense, any time they are within 10 points with a quarter to go, they're in the game.  In the third quarter I was getting uncomfortable.  Some of that was simply that the Bills always make you feel uncomfortable in the third quarter. 

But you're correct, there was a feeling that the Bills were making Seattle work harder for their points.  Wilson was uncomfortable.  It seemed like the Bills could get chunk plays whenever they wanted, and Seattle was struggling to move the ball as effectively.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks, those are good points.   That late long TD pass really helped inflate the Seahawks' numbers.  

I can't say Seattle never really was in the game.  With their offense, any time they are within 10 points with a quarter to go, they're in the game.  In the third quarter I was getting uncomfortable.  Some of that was simply that the Bills always make you feel uncomfortable in the third quarter. 

But you're correct, there was a feeling that the Bills were making Seattle work harder for their points.  Wilson was uncomfortable.  It seemed like the Bills could get chunk plays whenever they wanted, and Seattle was struggling to move the ball as effectively.  

The Bills 3rd quarter woes have been well documented. Half time adjustments or lack there of is an area the Buffalo Bills need to improve IMO. I think what might be happening on O is a good 1st half begs for more of the same until the opposition stops it. Opposition makes halftime adjustsments on D, the Bills are hindered by the adjustments and counter attack. Normally the 3rd quarter ends up being less productive in the process. My remedy would be to have a more scripted 3rd quarter start that is different then the overall game plan. A heavy dose of run if the passing game was succesful in the 1st half by way of example. On D the solution is obvious IMO. McD's expertise is a must when it comes to halftime or on the fly adjustments. I like Leslie Frazier and I think he's a good coach. From an innovative standpoint though McD's expertise needs to utilized to its fullest potential in my humble opinion. I think there's a fine line between allowing your coaches to coach without stepping on their toes while maintaining enough control to make game management adjustments. The New England Patriots are always a well coached team and it starts at the top. B B is sprinkled into everything IMO.

Myself personally, I'm a big fan of disguising ones intentions. Keeping the opposition on its toes and 2nd guessing. Its what this team is built for and fully capable of doing on both sides of the football IMO.

(On a side note: it would be interesting to see how the coin toss to start the game relates to the 3rd quarter for teams. Buffalo seems to be losing the coin toss more often then not.)  

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, Figster said:

The Bills 3rd quarter woes have been well documented. Half time adjustments or lack there of is an area the Buffalo Bills need to improve IMO. I think what might be happening on O is a good 1st half begs for more of the same until the opposition stops it. Opposition makes halftime adjustsments on D, the Bills are hindered by the adjustments and counter attack. Normally the 3rd quarter ends up being less productive in the process. My remedy would be to have a scrpted 3rd quarter start that is much different then the overall game plan. A heavy dose of run if the passing game was succesful in the 1st half by way of example. On D the solution is obvious IMO. McD's expertise is a must when it comes to halftime or on the fly adjustments. I like Leslie Frazier and I think he's a good coach. From an innovative standpoint though McD's expertise needs to utilized to its fullest potential in my humble opinion. I think there's a fine line between allowing your coaches to coach without stepping on their toes while maintaining enough control to make game management adjustments. The New England Patriots are always a well coached team and it starts at the top. B B is sprinkled into everything.

Myself personally, I'm a big fan of disguising ones intentions. Keeping the opposition on its toes and 2nd guessing. Its what this team is built for and fully capable of doing on both sides of the football IMO.

(On a side note: it would be interesting to see how the coin toss to start the game relates to the 3rd quarter for teams. Buffalo seems to be losing the coin toss more often then not.)  

Excellent.  I like the idea of having a scripted second half.  Just a different look, and something that the defense hasn't seen yet. 

Also, I like McD doing the adjustments for the D. 

Thanks. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It was a great win.  No one in the media expected Buffalo to win.  They did.  Now the narrative is Russ didnt have a run game.  Russ cant do it on his own.  Well in Buffalo Josh is doing the samething.  Bills go as Josh go.  Allen is a top 5 Qb right now.  I hope going forward Buffalo utilizes the aggresive defense approach.  Worst case you give up a big play and the offense gets the ball back.  Best case you create turnovers like Sunday.  Allowing teams to eat clock takes away from the teams biggest strength the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

It was a great win.  No one in the media expected Buffalo to win.  They did.  Now the narrative is Russ didnt have a run game.  Russ cant do it on his own.  Well in Buffalo Josh is doing the samething.  Bills go as Josh go.  Allen is a top 5 Qb right now.  I hope going forward Buffalo utilizes the aggresive defense approach.  Worst case you give up a big play and the offense gets the ball back.  Best case you create turnovers like Sunday.  Allowing teams to eat clock takes away from the teams biggest strength the offense.

Wow.  That's a creative take, and I think right on the money.  It's let Josh cook, and get some good cooks around him.   That's what will work for the Bills.  

And another thing - a philosophy based on getting the ball into Josh's hands often, frees up the defense.  It says be aggressive, make plays, try not to screw up but if you do, we still have gotten the ball to Josh.  It means you don't have to have physically dominant players on the defense - you need guys with quickness and brains.  

I think you're right.  And I think that up until now the Bills haven't been playing to the defense's strength.   They've been, well, defensive, and they are sometimes physically outmanned - just beaten by strength.  Now they can be offensive, attacking, confusing, all of that, which is what they're built to be good at.  Like the blizzard of blitzes and Tre's INT against the Seahawks.  That was creative play, and that's the kind of thinking that guys who play in this defense can do.  

The Bills can afford to let the defense be creative, which makes the defense better.  They can afford it because the Bills defense has Allen, just like the Chiefs' defense has Mahomes.  Those defenses know they can take risks, because they know that the worst thing that can happen is their QB gets the ball, and that's not a bad thing.   

That's complementary football.