The Ghost of Norwood Poll

Mickey

If the Bills were in the 2006 Super Bowl and were down 2 with 2 seconds left and were lining up to kick the winning FG from 47 yards out and Lindell is our kicker, what would you be thinking as the sweat trickles down your back?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If the Bills were in the 2006 Super Bowl and were down 2 with 2 seconds left and were lining up to kick the winning FG from 47 yards out and Lindell is our kicker, what would you be thinking as the sweat trickles down your back?

• No prob, Lindell is automatic
    • There is no God
    • I think I am having a seizure
    • Why the eff didn't we draft Nugent?

Just looking to put in perspective the notion that you just don't take a kicker that high, in the second round. If you are serious about winning in the post season let alone getting there, you have to have a rock solid, reliable kicker. We don't. Lets get one, today.

Just looking to put in perspective the notion that you just don't take a kicker that high, in the second round.  If you are serious about winning in the post season let alone getting there, you have to have a rock solid, reliable kicker.  We don't.  Lets get one, today.

313537[/snapback]

Oddly enough Lindell was Mr Automatic from inside the 40 last year........except for 1 kick.

I'm all for drafting Ted's little brother. Let's not forget the lesson learned when we took Gary Anderson out of 'Cuse though. Thought a sure fire superstar Gary went 0 for the preseason and the Bills cut him in favor of keeping (if memory serves me) Nick Mike-Mayer. Anderson then went on to become the most prolific kicker in league history.

If we do draft Nugent remember that all rookies need time to adjust to the pro game.

I'm all for drafting Ted's little brother. Let's not forget the lesson learned when we took Gary Anderson out of 'Cuse though. Thought a sure fire superstar Gary went 0 for the preseason and the Bills cut him in favor of keeping (if memory serves me) Nick Mike-Mayer. Anderson then went on to become the most prolific kicker in league history.

If we do draft Nugent remember that all rookies need time to adjust to the pro game.

313625[/snapback]

The fix was in on the Anderson foul up. They had a new rule that year on rookie contracts. If they didn't sign by a certain date, they got some sort of automatic crappy contract. The Bills got tough with Anderson knowing that he had to sign by the deadline or get screwed even worse. Suddenly, Anderson missed every FG attempt he took after practically not missing at all for 3 years at Syracuse.

We cut him and Pittsburgh picks him up immediately and signs him to be the starting kicker despite all those preseason misses. I think Gary's agent talked to the Steelers when the Bills were playing rough with Anderson in negotiations and worked something out. Why would Pittsburgh sign a guy that quick to start when he just got cut after missing everything?

Gary Anderson in his prime couldn't miss a 30 yarder, not possible. Yet he did with us. Hmmmmmm.....

Gary Anderson in his prime couldn't miss a 30 yarder, not possible.  Yet he did with us.  Hmmmmmm.....

313633[/snapback]

but Anderson did miss a 38 yarder in the 1999 playoffs that cost the Vikings a shot at the Super Bowl...

Back to Norwood v Lindell, for what it's worth Lindell career FG% (76.2) is higher than Norwood's (72.3).

In terms of drafting Kickers. He's a list of all the K's drafted since Janikowski went in the 1st Round and their current status.

Year Rd  Name Draft Team (If different Current Team)

2004   3 Nate Kaeding Chargers

2004   5 Josh Scobee Jaguars

2004   7 David Kimball Colts (On Giants Roster)

2003   7 Josh Brown Seahawks

2002   4 Jeff Chandler 49ers Florida (On Redskins Roster)

2002   4 Travis Dorsch Bengals (On Vikings Roster)

2002   7 Hayden Epstein Jaguars (On Broncos Roster)

2001   4 Bill Gramatica Cardinals (On Dolphins Roster)

2001   5 John Markham Giants (On Steelers Roster)

2001   7 Owen Pochman Patriots (On Bills Roster)

2000   1 Sebastian Janikowski Raiders

Notice an overwelming majority are no longer with the team that drafted them? To me drafting a kicker is a gamble and a gamble I'd take so long as it's a low pick (Rnd 6 or 7).