This team needs to add some physicality

There are a few weeks left to still make some moves. This season is at a potential crossroads. We can ride it out like this and expect it to fix itself ...or we can try and take advantage of an opportunity. 

D-line: The Defensive line could be the biggest weakness of this team right now. Not only do we never get any pressure on the QB but teams are blowing us backwards off the ball. It’s leaving lanes that a bus could drive through for the Running backs and making life impossible for our LBs. Our Dline needs a nastiness that it’s sorely missing. I’d be doing everything I could to bring in DTs that are 340+. These tiny guys aren’t getting it there. Set the tone up front and allow our LBs to run clean. It’s setting the tone in a bad way right at the snap.

LB How long has it been, since the Bills have had a physically imposing LB? A guy that can run and hit. Not a 2 down dinosaur or slim fast coverage guy? A guy like Cowart, or Spikes? This team is lacking a physical presence from the LB position so badly. Milano is an amazing cover LB but he’s not overly physical. Some how we need to get better at that position. Edmunds is absolutely killing us. He plays so slow and lost out there. The guy looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. He’s not a rookie anymore. It’s year 3. Maybe he just sucks? A trade for a big time LB could help this defense immensely. 

Running game :  I may be in the minority but I don’t think it’s the RBs. I think our issue with the running game is the scheme. I can’t stand running the ball out of shotgun and I can’t stand running it out of 11 personnel. I realize the league has been going away from the FB position for a while but if you look at the physical teams...they have one. A FB helps you a lot more then it gets credit for. Teams do not respect our running game and it’s starting to hurt our passing game. Allen needs to be involved more in the run game. Lee Smith needs to be on the field to help out the run. I would bring in a real FB or move Knox to FB to help 26 and 20 out. We need to get back to a more balanced look on offense. Allen is not consistent enough to beat physical defenses with 40 drop backs. We need to introduce some physicality back into the rushing attack and run the ball, even when the other team expects you to run.

This team is way to soft. Even if our identity is changing to a passing attack, you still need balance. It’s also fine that our defensive identity is to stop the pass first. But you can’t just allow teams to blow you off the ball. Football is still a game of physicality. That is the type of football that travels. It’s also the type of personality that gives you a look against the elite teams. It’s early enough to still add useful pieces. We have a legit shot at the division for once. Beane can’t sit on his hands here. We need to bring in at least 2 guys in this front 7. The time to fix this mess is now. Don’t wait until after the deadline passes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The offensive line is sorely missing Spain and Feleciano........... Ford/Winter combo is not good

The Defense you have to start at the defensive line as that is the root of the problem and the scheme of the 4-2 when they running is not catching very well 6 weeks in.  I get it they are trying to get the best 11 on the filed but with so many areas lacking not sure there is an answer on the d line this year.  Big need that needs addressed that will have to wait til the end of the year unless someway somehow Beane can work some miracle trade

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Just watching Arizona tonight.  their D is crunching dudes.  The Bills are terribly soft.  they mostly chase and tackle while getting dragged,,, no one hits hard.

Its a soft cover zone mentality ingrained into them from their coach....Frazier is a bum and is highly overated on here...last year if we had wade phillips the defense could have possibly got us to the afccg.....The retread tony dungy/lovie smith tampa 2 is 🗑

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1