Who are you?

shoshin

@Chef Jim good call on the early BOC. I go for a fast 15 mile bike ride on a winding path a few mornings a week and after I got my warmup in I locked into Tyranny and Mutations. I’m doing this by memory instead of looking it up because it’s more old fashioned (like I just heard the album at a friend’s house). I liked the song that had some line like “freight seven seven express to heaven speeding along like dynamite”... the real lyric will be awesome to read. Also totally loved a song about “jizbusters” that must be about another word but I went with it in my listen. There was another song that had the same opening riff as long cool woman...that one slowed my ride a bit but that’s fine. 

It’s funny because I only knew the hits. They remind me of Rush/Yes and even Sabbath. All bands I love but I never associated them with that group. Good tip and now in a rotation I have around 70s prog metal. 

12 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Left Buffalo over 20 years ago, been in Chicago burbs since.  Run a couple businesses. One is more passive.  The risk and hard work have been worth it but we grind it out every month.  Married over 30 years to a wonderful Buffalo girl, grown kids, 1 dog.  Beginning to get serious about retirement.  Can taste it.  That's really driving me now, that and a life long passion for a great competitive sport (still competing) which I've never mentioned here.   Huge passion for this though it's a big commitment.  Still love Buffalo. 

Enjoy hanging out here a bit to get my mind away from day to day grind and I truly like people.  Politically I'm simply looking for our governments to perform responsibly and much much better than they do.  Washington is a horrible mess.  Hard to see how it gets fixed.  The ingrained culture of party and power first is more destructive than ever.  There are several big important issues that the majority of people (if informed) likely agree on IMO.  Pols should too. The media and pols divide us and deliberately leave these things unsolved.  It's a total dereliction of their duty.  Somehow this to change. 

Will you share the sport? I had to give up a long lifetime of basketball a few years back, and tried tennis and Squash (the later was pretty fun and a good substitute even with a bunch of old guys who had limited experience on some beat up courts at a local high school). Always curious about people’s sports but especially as we age. 

45 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Will you share the sport? I had to give up a long lifetime of basketball a few years back, and tried tennis and Squash (the later was pretty fun and a good substitute even with a bunch of old guys who had limited experience on some beat up courts at a local high school). Always curious about people’s sports but especially as we age. 

I'd love to share but it would probably make me easy to identify.  There's almost nobody that posts here that I wouldn't like to meet in person but I've already had one instance where through a website my personal info was found/revealed by/to someone with less than honorable intentions.  I'm lucky to still be doing what I do and fairly well and the competition ranges in age from 18 to guys in their 60's.  Regional and national in scope. 

We had an "old man's" basketball league 10 years ago or so.  That was a ton of fun for a short time.  I was never any good but could run better than most which is a big plus amongst low skill players.  We had several injuries among the 15 of us which ended the thing.  A torn ACL, stitches, badly pulled hammy, ankles and I dislocated a finger.  The group folded after about 3 years of emergency room visits. 

Tennis and golf may be in my future.  Haven't golfed in about 12 years. Tennis is a great workout. 

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, shoshin said:

SDS's post exposing his humanity was revealing in reminding us who we attack when we hide behind anonymity. So I ask: Who are you? Who is the human behind your username? 

I'm a 50 year old man. Married to a woman I met at a party freshman year of college. I've mentioned her before but she is a hospice and home care social worker, so mostly working with those dying and at the end of their lives. I'm a father to a freshman in college, who is during her best to be a college freshman even though she's doing all her stuff remotely. It's an emotional struggle to have such a disappointing start to college after working hard to get in but she's keeping a stiff upper lip.

I have lived in the same home for 20 years, run my own small business with just 4 people for the last 7, and kept it together (mostly) through Covid, though it's not been easy. My parents live in Buffalo and are still alive and mostly healthy. I have a brother who works with kids, one who is a super smart scientist, and another who is a nurse transitioning from that to running a carpentry business. I clean up the long driveway behind all 4 houses that share our driveway because that's how I was raised. I do most of the repairs in my house but generally skip the larger projects just because I can, though I've renovated everything once when I first got the house (being handy is a product of my youth).  I volunteer helping kids who are stuck in "the system." Coached kids sports and was on the board of a local sports club for many years (I just threw my volunteer hours into things as best I could--mostly on the business side).  

I'm not asking you to say your name or anything too revealing. But let's come out a little from behind the username, build a community. 

Other than you and SDS, no other lefties has posted on here. I honestly wonder why?

7 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I'd love to share but it would probably make me easy to identify.  There's almost nobody that posts here that I wouldn't like to meet in person but I've already had one instance where through a website my personal info was found/revealed by/to someone with less than honorable intentions.  I'm lucky to still be doing what I do and fairly well and the competition ranges in age from 18 to guys in their 60's.  Regional and national in scope. 

If it's Ping Pong I could take you to the woodshed. 

Edited by wAcKy ZeBrA

4 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

If it's Ping Pong I could take you to the woodshed. 

Not ping pong or bowling.  I have somebody here though that might accept your ping pong challenge.  He was on the Senegal national team before he came to the States, he's very tall and his cousin played more than 10 years in the NBA.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, westside2 said:

Other than you and SDS, no other lefties has posted on here. I honestly wonder why?

Not many long time posters responded seriously in this thread. Also not sure why that is but I observe it.

I wouldn't say SDS or I are lefties. See my answers to Bill's questions. Speaking for myself though, I'm definitely not a Trump-ist and/or part of this new iteration the Rs are trying to be. Like many here, I've never been a party guy but I'm really not these days, though I'll vote for a major party candidate this time (something I did not do in 2016). 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Not ping pong or bowling.  I have somebody here though that might accept your ping pong challenge.  He was on the Senegal national team before he came to the States, he's very tall and his cousin played more than 10 years in the NBA.

I think I have a guess but out of respect for your privacy I'll keep it to myself.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I respect that--I assumed that you were being coy intentionally but was also very curious. 

5 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I faced Tim Wang a few years ago (former Olympian) and was destroyed.

Buffalo Ping Pong clubs have been shutdown since April and I can only beat my wife by double digits so many times. One of the few hobbies the pandemic has paused for me.

I cooked some healthy tacos yesterday. Ground beef and I added brown rice and barley, black beans, onion and a green pepper. Lots of fiber! Then for toppings I used baby spinach, mozzarella cheese, sour cream and taco sauce. Yum! And good for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I faced Tim Wang a few years ago (former Olympian) and was destroyed.

Buffalo Ping Pong clubs have been shutdown since April and I can only beat my wife by double digits so many times. One of the few hobbies the pandemic has paused for me.

No outdoor ping pong over the summer?  Wind adds a whole new dimension?  Isn't it really called table tennis? 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I cooked some healthy tacos yesterday. Ground beef and I added brown rice and barley, black beans, onion and a green pepper. Lots of fiber! Then for toppings I used baby spinach, mozzarella cheese, sour cream and taco sauce. Yum! And good for you. 

Sounds great, there is a doctor out there though that would disagree on healthiness. 

It's an interesting read with plenty of opposing opinions.

https://drgundry.com/

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Throw some thin sliced radishes in there. A very nice addition.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

Throw some thin sliced radishes in there. A very nice addition.

I eat a lot of radishes. Chopping up the leaves for green salads is delicious. I'd been throwing them out for years until just recently.