Jane Fonda incident

When Jane Fonda returned to the Vietnamese guards the notes that the POW's gave her that was her most dispicable act. I can understand Viet Vets anger but spitting in her face permits her a small measure of sympathy. Still when you consider the anguish of the pow's and their families it takes all of my mercy to think she was maltreated. I understand she remained calm post-spittle and left without comment. That is probably a sign of guilt but it is a step toward penitence.

I'm amazed this hasn't happened before. She should have been doing at least 20 years for treason.

Just asK John McCain what effect she had.

311880[/snapback]

I dunno if McCain would want to weigh in, it might turn the microscope on himself...

http://www.usvetdsp.com/story22.htm

U.S. Navy pilot John McCain was shot down on his 23rd mission over North Vietnam, October 26, 1967. He was released March 1973 after being held captive by the North Vietnamese for 5-1/2 years.

McCain now says it was only a coincidence that at the same time he was offering "military information" in exchange for special medical treatment, his captors discovered that his father was Adm. John S. McCain Jr., commander of all U.S. forces in Europe and soon-to-be commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific, including Vietnam.

Upon learning about McCain's father, the communists, in an unprecedented move, rushed McCain to one of their military hospitals where he received treatment not available for other U.S. prisoners of war.

When Jane Fonda returned to the Vietnamese guards the notes that the POW's gave her that was her most dispicable act. I can understand Viet Vets anger but spitting in her face  permits her a small measure of sympathy. Still when you consider the anguish of the pow's and their families it takes all of my mercy to think she was maltreated. I understand she remained calm post-spittle and left without comment. That is probably a sign of guilt but it is a step toward penitence.

311895[/snapback]

She admitted that it was the biggest lapse of judgement in her life, what more can she say? She apologized for the photo. Sounds to me like she's sincerely sorry for the episode, although she remains strongly oppposed to this country's effort in vietnam.

She admitted that it was the biggest lapse of judgement in her life, what more can she say?  She apologized for the photo.  Sounds to me like she's sincerely sorry for the episode, although she remains strongly oppposed to this country's effort in vietnam.

311954[/snapback]

She doesn't have to say anything. She just has to endure getting spit in the face every once in a while from someone who doesn't accept her apology. Pretty easy to say "oops, sorry!" 30 years later. Probably not so easy for those she harmed to get over their experiences.

She admitted that it was the biggest lapse of judgement in her life, what more can she say?  She apologized for the photo.  Sounds to me like she's sincerely sorry for the episode, although she remains strongly oppposed to this country's effort in vietnam.

311954[/snapback]

Sorry for being a traitor? Oh, OK, it's all good then. :huh:

311954[/snapback]

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you never served.

The following public domain information is a transcript from the US Congress House Committee on Internal Security, Travel to Hostile Areas, HR 16742, 19-25 September, 1972, page 7671

"This is Jane Fonda. During my two week visit in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, I've had the opportunity to visit a great many places and speak to a large number of people from all walks of life--workers, peasants, students, artists and dancers, historians, journalists, film actresses, soldiers, militia girls, members of the women's union, writers.

I visited the (Dam Xuac) agricultural coop, where the silk worms are also raised and thread is made. I visited a textile factory, a kindergarten in Hanoi. The beautiful Temple of Literature was where I saw traditional dances and heard songs of resistance. I also saw unforgettable ballet about the guerrillas training bees in the south to attack enemy soldiers. The bees were danced by women, and they did their job well.

In the shadow of the Temple of Literature I saw Vietnamese actors and actresses perform the second act of Arthur Miller's play All My Sons, and this was very moving to me--the fact that artists here are translating and performing American plays while US imperialists are bombing their country.

I cherish the memory of the blushing militia girls on the roof of their factory, encouraging one of their sisters as she sang a song praising the blue sky of Vietnam--these women, who are so gentle and poetic, whose voices are so beautiful, but who, when American planes are bombing their city, become such good fighters.

I cherish the way a farmer evacuated from Hanoi, without hesitation, offered me, an American, their best individual bomb shelter while US bombs fell near by. The daughter and I, in fact, shared the shelter wrapped in each others arms, cheek against cheek. It was on the road back from Nam Dinh, where I had witnessed the systematic destruction of civilian targets-schools, hospitals, pagodas, the factories, houses, and the dike system.

As I left the United States two weeks ago, Nixon was again telling the American people that he was winding down the war, but in the rubble- strewn streets of Nam Dinh, his words echoed with sinister (words indistinct) of a true killer. And like the young Vietnamese woman I held in my arms clinging tome tightly--and I pressed my cheek against hers--I thought, this is a war against Vietnam perhaps, but the tragedy is America's.

One thing that I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt since I've been in this country is that Nixon will never be able to break the spirit of these people; he'll never be able to turn Vietnam, north and south, into a neo-colony of the United States by bombing, by invading, by attacking in any way. One has only to go into the countryside and listen to the peasants describe the lives they led before the revolution to understand why every bomb that is dropped only strengthens their determination to resist.

I've spoken to many peasants who talked about the days when their parents had to sell themselves to land lords as virtual slaves, when there were very few schools and much illiteracy, inadequate medical care, when they were not masters of their own lives.

But now, despite the bombs, despite the crimes being created--being committed against them by Richard Nixon, these people own their own land, build their own schools--the children learning, literacy--illiteracy is being wiped out, there is no more prostitution as there was during the time when this was a French colony. In other words, the people have taken power into their own hands, and they are controlling their own lives.

And after 4,000 years of struggling against nature and foreign invaders--and the last 25 years, prior to the revolution, of struggling against French colonialism--I don't think that the people of Vietnam are about to compromise in any way, shape or form about the freedom and independence of their country, and I think Richard Nixon would do well to read Vietnamese history, particularly their poetry, and particularly the poetry written by Ho Chi Minh."

Feel free to tell me how the actions of this woman, from addressing enemy troops in a time of war, posing on equipment used by our enemy to kill AMERICANS, and the resulting torture our POWs suffered because of it is somehow all washed away with one miniscule and ever so hollow (and not only because it took 30 years) apology. Actions speak much louder than words.

She'll be gone in a week, folks.

She has a book to sell, and she probably upped the number of books sold by 10% because of this incident. This won't be a popular statement, but the guy who spit on her completely screwed up. I'm sure he'll enjoy more than his share of high-fives for the rest of his life. But as someone mentioned, spitting on her only added to the sympathy factor.

Plus, as AD had mentioned, the dude should have never run. There are any number of things he could have done that would have been more productive...even creative...not the least of which would have been to bring a whole crapload of Vietnam vets along with him with a better plan of action. Anything but spit on her.

I'm not saying she does or does not deserve it. I'm just saying whatever he hoped to accomplish will undoubtedly fall short of its goal.

She'll be gone in a week, folks.

She has a book to sell, and she probably upped the number of books sold by 10% because of this incident. This won't be a popular statement, but the guy who spit on her completely screwed up. I'm sure he'll enjoy more than his share of high-fives for the rest of his life. But as someone mentioned, spitting on her only added to the sympathy factor.

Plus, as AD had mentioned, the dude should have never run. There are any number of things he could have done that would have been more productive...even creative...not the least of which would have been to bring a whole crapload of Vietnam vets along with him with a better plan of action. Anything but spit on her.

I'm not saying she does or does not deserve it. I'm just saying whatever he hoped to accomplish will undoubtedly fall short of its goal.

312052[/snapback]

"Goal"? You think this guy was actually trying to accomplish something, or even thought it through?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you never served. 

The following public domain information is a transcript from the US Congress House Committee on Internal Security, Travel to Hostile Areas, HR 16742, 19-25 September, 1972, page 7671

"This is Jane Fonda. During my two week visit in the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, I've had the opportunity to visit a great many places and speak to a large number of people from all walks of life--workers, peasants, students, artists and dancers, historians, journalists, film actresses, soldiers, militia girls, members of the women's union, writers.

I visited the (Dam Xuac) agricultural coop, where the silk worms are also raised and thread is made. I visited a textile factory, a kindergarten in Hanoi. The beautiful Temple of Literature was where I saw traditional dances and heard songs of resistance. I also saw unforgettable ballet about the guerrillas training bees in the south to attack enemy soldiers. The bees were danced by women, and they did their job well.

In the shadow of the Temple of Literature I saw Vietnamese actors and actresses perform the second act of Arthur Miller's play All My Sons, and this was very moving to me--the fact that artists here are translating and performing American plays while US imperialists are bombing their country.

I cherish the memory of the blushing militia girls on the roof of their factory, encouraging one of their sisters as she sang a song praising the blue sky of Vietnam--these women, who are so gentle and poetic, whose voices are so beautiful, but who, when American planes are bombing their city, become such good fighters.

I cherish the way a farmer evacuated from Hanoi, without hesitation, offered me, an American, their best individual bomb shelter while US bombs fell near by. The daughter and I, in fact, shared the shelter wrapped in each others arms, cheek against cheek. It was on the road back from Nam Dinh, where I had witnessed the systematic destruction of civilian targets-schools, hospitals, pagodas, the factories, houses, and the dike system.

As I left the United States two weeks ago, Nixon was again telling the American people that he was winding down the war, but in the rubble- strewn streets of Nam Dinh, his words echoed with sinister (words indistinct) of a true killer. And like the young Vietnamese woman I held in my arms clinging tome tightly--and I pressed my cheek against hers--I thought, this is a war against Vietnam perhaps, but the tragedy is America's.

One thing that I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt since I've been in this country is that Nixon will never be able to break the spirit of these people; he'll never be able to turn Vietnam, north and south, into a neo-colony of the United States by bombing, by invading, by attacking in any way. One has only to go into the countryside and listen to the peasants describe the lives they led before the revolution to understand why every bomb that is dropped only strengthens their determination to resist.

I've spoken to many peasants who talked about the days when their parents had to sell themselves to land lords as virtual slaves, when there were very few schools and much illiteracy, inadequate medical care, when they were not masters of their own lives.

But now, despite the bombs, despite the crimes being created--being committed against them by Richard Nixon, these people own their own land, build their own schools--the children learning, literacy--illiteracy is being wiped out, there is no more prostitution as there was during the time when this was a French colony. In other words, the people have taken power into their own hands, and they are controlling their own lives.

And after 4,000 years of struggling against nature and foreign invaders--and the last 25 years, prior to the revolution, of struggling against French colonialism--I don't think that the people of Vietnam are about to compromise in any way, shape or form about the freedom and independence of their country, and I think Richard Nixon would do well to read Vietnamese history, particularly their poetry, and particularly the poetry written by Ho Chi Minh."

Feel free to tell me how the actions of this woman, from addressing enemy troops in a time of war, posing on equipment used by our enemy to kill AMERICANS, and the resulting torture our POWs suffered because of it is somehow all washed away with one miniscule and ever so hollow (and not only because it took 30 years) apology.  Actions speak much louder than words.

312040[/snapback]

I wouldn't argue your overall point, but it did not take Fonda 30 years to apologize, as keeps being repeated here. She apologized on a number of occaisions, long ago, just that nobody wanted to accept her apology then, nor do they now...say what you will about her, but "Coming Home" was her most public apology to Viet Nam vetrans. It was one of the first mainstream efforts to cast light on the mistreatment of Viet Nam vetrans. This wasn't a film Fonda was asked to make, she wanted to make it, and was a driving force behind it.

I wouldn't argue your overall point, but it did not take Fonda 30 years to apologize, as keeps being repeated here.  She apologized on a number of occaisions, long ago, just that nobody wanted to accept her apology then, nor do they now...say what you will about her, but "Coming Home" was her most public apology to Viet Nam vetrans.  It was one of the first mainstream efforts to cast light on the mistreatment of Viet Nam vetrans.  This wasn't a film Fonda was asked to make, she wanted to make it, and was a driving force behind it.

312070[/snapback]

Her earlier apologies were pretty much only about posing for the photo - which to me are pretty damn hollow considering she'd called POW's liars and hypocrites for giving their accounts of the brutal torture they withstood while in the custody of her North Vietnamese pals.

Jane Fonda can burn in hell, using her self serving "apologies" to keep her company.

To err is human, to forgive divine.

She has apologized, explained, and apologized again. She has called it the biggest mistake of her life. She was young, and stupid, she admitted it and she can't undo it. Her intentions were good, her actions misguided.

If people can't forgive her they must lead mean, needy and narrow little lives, and I'd pity them if I could bring myself to give them a second thought. Real men forgive and move on.

In the grand scheme of things JFK, LBJ and Richard Nixon caused a lot more death than Jane Fonda.

she apologized 30 years later....so everyone should just forget the the whole thing?

gimme a freakin' break.

that's like David Berkowitz saying...."oh gee...sorry about that incident back in '77....can't we all just get along now?...lets have everybody hug!" :rolleyes:

she apologized 30 years later....so everyone should just forget the the whole thing?

gimme a freakin' break.

that's like David Berkowitz saying...."oh gee...sorry about that incident back in '77....can't we all just get along now?...lets have everybody hug!"    :rolleyes:

312163[/snapback]

Oh shut up. You obviously lead a needy, narrow life. :P

gimme a freakin' break.

that's like David Berkowitz saying...."oh gee...sorry about that incident back in '77....can't we all just get along now?...lets have everybody hug!"    :rolleyes:

312163[/snapback]

Couey apologized as well when he gave his confession to the police. I say we let him out and send him to live next door to Debbie. Forgive and forget, right?