SNF: Cowboys at Rams

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My first Monday morning thoughts on the SNF game:

- The stadium looks amazing. It really does. Kudos to all involved. And believe me I am not fan of the Kroenkes so it pains me to say that;

- Kudos to Sean McVay. I think he was the problem with the Rams last season. His stubbornness in trying to force his scheme on a group of players less suited to running it than the group he had before. I know the oline struggled last year but it partly struggled because of what he was asking them to do. What I saw last night convinced me for the first time that McVay has longevity as a Head Coach in this league. Much more multiple in formation and personnel grouping, rather than force fitting 11 personnel. Slowed it down, dropped a lot of the eye candy and smokscreens that made their offense hard to distinguish for opponents at its 2018 best, but made the job of its oline even harder in 2019 at its worst and lots of what you might call old school stretch zone in terms of the bootlegs for Goff and the half field reads. All mixed in with some proper power run game which they started to incorporate a bit more late last year alongside their more traditional zone running. It was a really well coordinated offense that looked like it suited the pieces it had which you could not say about them in 2019. That is what good football coaches do. I did fear watching the Rams last year that McVay was a one trick pony. 2020 is his chance to prove that he is not and he is off to a great start.

- Talking of the oline.... it really moved Dallas around in the trenches and Andrew Whitworth really is the 9th wonder of the world. Incredible performance for a man of his age.

- As for the Cowboys.... well that could have been a Cowboys performance from last season. Offense that plays well early and struggles late, coaching decisions that are beyond baffling.... it's the 4th quarter, you are down by 3.... kick the damn field goal you moron.... and it had the extra added source of Mike Nolan's defense.

- Yea... Mike Nolan's defense. Seriously? What in the world was that. The most outdated, early 00s defensive scheme seen this side of Rex Ryan. That Baltimore defensive tree - Nolan, Ryan, Lewis, Pagano, Smith was at the cutting edge of the NFL at one time. That time was 15 years ago. When was the last time any of them coordinated a really good defense? I fancied Dallas to have a strong year.... but with that defensive scheme I doubt it. It reminded me of when the Bills brought Wannstedt out of semi retirement to coordinate our defense.

- Oh and the OPI call at the end...... yes, that was an abomination of a call. But not sure it would have been overturned even if we had the abomination of a replay review system we had last year. So there's that.

Thoughts on Bills v Rams in 13 days? They look pretty good 

8 hours ago, Big C said:

But Gallup didn't really shove Ramsey. He didn't use his arm to create separation; he already separated from Ramsey and and Ramsey sold the push off.

I agree , but I hate the Cowboys so like that call  🙂

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Thoughts on Bills v Rams in 13 days? They look pretty good 

Think that will be a really close game. They won the trenches last night. That is where I think that game will be won and lost.

EDIT: I will say this though..... McDermott's defense will be a tougher ask for their offense than whatever that thing Mike Nolan produced was.

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Think that will be a really close game. They won the trenches last night. That is where I think that game will be won and lost.

Josh has been good at escaping pressure up the middle but Aaron Donald, man..

the Diggs vs Ramsey battle should be juicy. I have no doubt josh will tell Diggs that Ramsey considers him (josh) trash and Diggs will fight for him 

Edited by YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, Big C said:

But Gallup didn't really shove Ramsey. He didn't use his arm to create separation; he already separated from Ramsey and and Ramsey sold the push off.

Ramsey did a good job at over selling that but Gallup extended his arm fully so he opened himself to that type of call even if it was borderline at best.