The Greatest Cancel Culturing of All Time

Numark3

This is it.  Peak cancel culture.  Both hilariously dumb, and terrifyingly real.

A USC professor ussed the mandarin word for "that,"--nei ge.  He pronounced it correctly.  He used it in the proper context.  He was teaching how different languages/cultures use filler words, and he explained the mandarin version of this.  

"In China, the common word is 'that' -- that, that, that, that," he said in the video, before using the equivalent Chinese term nei ge several times to demonstrate.

The black MBA candidates of 2022 wrote a joint letter to the school, explaining how offensive this was:

The following day, a complaint was filed to the school administration, saying the term sounded like the N-word and that Patton had "offended all of the Black members of our class."

"This phrase, clearly and precisely before instruction is always identified as a phonetic homonym and a racial derogatory term, and should be carefully used, especially in the context of speaking Chinese within the social context of the United States," according to the letter, which accused Patton of negligence.

"The way we heard it in class was indicative of a much more hurtful word with tremendous implications for the Black community."

The teacher has been put on leave, and the dean of the school offered this incredibly apology:

"Professor Greg Patton repeated several times a Chinese word that sounds very similar to a vile racial slur in English," said Garrett in the email. "Understandably, this caused great pain and upset among students, and for that I am deeply sorry. It is simply unacceptable for faculty to use words in class that can marginalize, hurt and harm the psychological safety of our students. We must and we will do better."

Garrett added that he was "deeply saddened" by the "disturbing episode," and that any students uncomfortable with staying in Patton's class would have alternative options to complete their academic requirements.

Everyone (on both sides) seems to be condemning the school's reaction and the offended children's reaction.  

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/usc-chinese-professor-racism-intl-hnk-scli/index.html (yes it is cnn, but this is the best article on this, surprisingly) 

Video of incident: 

Edited by Crayola64
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

Sorry but this just proves how tone deaf you are. All languages were built around white oppression and colonialism. DUH!!!

Other cultures need to remove syllables from their language that resemble offensive english words.  I mean, how culturally insensitive can they be!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Other cultures need to remove syllables from their language that resemble offensive english words.  I mean, how culturally insensitive can they be!!!

If you continue like this I'll be forced to call you the R word, oh yes, you know what word that is... radiologist

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crayola64 said:

This is it.  Peak cancel culture.  Both hilariously dumb, and terrifyingly real.

A USC professor ussed the mandarin word for "that,"--nei ge.  He pronounced it correctly.  He used it in the proper context.  He was teaching how different languages/cultures use filler words, and he explained the mandarin version of this.  

The black MBA candidates of 2022 wrote a joint letter to the school, explaining how offensive this was:

The teacher has been put on leave, and the dean of the school offered this incredibly apology:

Everyone (on both sides) seems to be condemning the school's reaction and the offended children's reaction.  

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/usc-chinese-professor-racism-intl-hnk-scli/index.html (yes it is cnn, but this is the best article on this, surprisingly) 

Video of incident: 

Two thoughts.  He looks like a guy who would tap out, true, maybe only because he did, but he does.  Second, he spells his name “Geoff”.  What further evidence of elitism is necessary?   Would our own @Chef Jim be the considered the tough but lovable  curmudgeon that he is if he was @ChefJeomm?  I’ll answer my own question—he wouldn’t.  He’d be famous for saying “I’m in touch with my binary side”, never winning an argument and for blathering on about how great his broccoli quiche is. I’m here to tell you, it’s a glorified omelette. Anyway, this guy—-if he goes by Jeff, everything plays out differently.  See, a Jeff, well a Jeff fails all but one of the complaining students, let’s it slip that someone turned on the malcontents and laughs as they set upon the hapless bastard and rain blows down upon him. 

Reinvent yourself, become a Jeff and problem solved. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Two thoughts.  He looks like a guy who would tap out, true, maybe only because he did, but he does.  Second, he spells his name “Geoff”.  What further evidence of elitism is necessary?   Would our own @Chef Jim be the considered the tough but lovable  curmudgeon that he is if he was @ChefJeomm?  I’ll answer my own question—he wouldn’t.  He’d be famous for saying “I’m in touch with my binary side”, never winning an argument and for blathering on about how great his broccoli quiche is. I’m here to tell you, it’s a glorified omelette. Anyway, this guy—-if he goes by Jeff, everything plays out differently.  See, a Jeff, well a Jeff fails all but one of the complaining students, let’s it slip that someone turned on the malcontents and laughs as they set upon the hapless bastard and rain blows down upon him. 

Reinvent yourself, become a Jeff and problem solved. 

my friend started dating a guy named Jeff.  Imagine my surprise when I learned he spelled it Geoff...... 

dump him

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

They're going to have a tough time if they ever make it to a business, if they're this offended by the Chinese language.

DANIEL BOONE NATIONAL PARK TO BE RENAMED

On Monday the National Park Service announced it will rename the Daniel Boone National Forest amid growing controversy over Boone's fabled use of a ***** skin cap. This term "*****" evokes strong emotions in black millennials as it recalls painful memories of racial injustices they learned about in school and on TV, as well as woke white millennials who experience this pain vicariously due to their heightened sense of empathy and moral superiority.

A spokesman for the NPS stated "although the term '*****' in this context refers to a racoon hide, which was common attire at the turn of the 18th century, the term has also been used as a racial slur referring to African Americans, and serves as a reminder of our country's dark history of failing to adhere to 21st century western morality at a time when people believed in witchcraft. The National Park Service will no longer promote this shameful chapter in our nation's history."

The NPS has not yet determined what the name will be changed to, but proposals under consideration include "The George Floyd Commemorative Forest," "The White Privilege Wildlife Preserve," and "Beyonce's Backwoods."

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

DANIEL BOONE NATIONAL PARK TO BE RENAMED

On Monday the National Park Service announced it will rename the Daniel Boone National Forest amid growing controversy over Boone's fabled use of a ***** skin cap. This term "*****" evokes strong emotions in black millennials as it recalls painful memories of racial injustices they learned about in school and on TV, as well as woke white millennials who experience this pain vicariously due to their heightened sense of empathy and moral superiority.

A spokesman for the NPS stated "although the term '*****' in this context refers to a racoon hide, which was common attire at the turn of the 18th century, the term has also been used as a racial slur referring to African Americans, and serves as a reminder of our country's dark history of failing to adhere to 21st century western morality at a time when people believed in witchcraft. The National Park Service will no longer promote this shameful chapter in our nation's history."

The NPS has not yet determined what the name will be changed to, but proposals under consideration include "The George Floyd Commemorative Forest," "The White Privilege Wildlife Preserve," and "Beyonce's Backwoods."

I suppose all those Sam Spade movies are now going to be banned? Then again, do we cancel all ______& White movies or stay with them and get rid of all those colored films? "Camptown Races" featuring gay ***** is now an abomination and Uncle Remus couldn't speak English. 

8 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Sadly, this is actually a thing. Had to take training in diversity and inclusiveness over the summer - they literally had nonsense about "generational trauma" and "vicarious trauma". It traumatized me so much, I tuned the rest of their crap out.

Though it was slightly more interesting than the 'all white men are the devil' in the past few trainings I ignored.

12 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Sadly, this is actually a thing. Had to take training in diversity and inclusiveness over the summer - they literally had nonsense about "generational trauma" and "vicarious trauma". It traumatized me so much, I tuned the rest of their crap out.

Though it was slightly more interesting than the 'all white men are the devil' in the past few trainings I ignored.

Had to take continuing education classes for I think 16 hours every 2 years to maintain a real estate license in PA. Not only did I not get involved in residential sales but does it really take 8 hours credited to Fair Housing to tell people to "be fair"? Modern government is about as useful as man breasts.