Turns out THIS was the draft to be dealing in

As always, hindsight is 20/20. Looking at what the Raiders have accomplished in this off-season/pre draft, I'm starting to think that this was the draft to be doing all the trading in. Should Buffalo cash in a blue chip player too? I wasn't for it before but seeing the possibilities of parlaying one player in several scenarios of improvement makes me wonder if this would be more beneficial to the future of this club.

There are two ways to look at things. Either the glass is half empty or it's half full. This draft was viewed as just a few clear cut picks, after that the talent is supposed to be similar. Look, what is done is done but when you consider that Denver traded down from the 25th slot and got paid a pretty penny then you have to also consider the price we paid for Losman. It seems like we could have been compensated nicely for our former 1st rd (#20) pick this year. I know, the damage is done and we have our (hopefully) starting QB for a very long time. For this fact and with the recent frenzy in trading I'm hoping that Donahoe delutes, or should I say, minimize the loss of our 1st rd pick this year. Should Henry be the only player on the block? If not, who should be considered dispensible? Remember, we don't neccasarily have to have their replacement already on the roster. One more thing, this NOT a trumpet call for CB Nate Clements. Either we act soon or forever hold our peace, time is running out.

I don't think we have to pull off any amazing deals on draft day. I like the roster as it is right now. I think this is a playoff caliber team right now. We traded away our #1 last year and now we suffer the consequences -- no big deal -- we can live without a #1 for one year. Certainly wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but we'll get by. If Donahoe can pull something off AND it makes sense, then great, otherwise, just enjoy the 55th pick and move on.

Any team that trades a blue chipper for a draft choice in this years draft is going to eat the anchor for years to come.

It's more than coincidence that the blue chippers that have been traded so far have been considered malcontents.

The Jets willingness to trade a 1st rounder for Doug Jolley sets the bar for this draft, when a players baggage is not the motivation for a deal.

The Bills should trade Henry and fill out their interior line postions with their existing picks. Anything else would seriously overplay the talent in this draft.

Teams are trying to trade OUT of the 1st round. That means teams trying to trade IN (like the Bills) can trade-in for less than they normally would. So no the Bills didn't miss-out, especially when you consider JP would likely have been the 1st pick in the draft, but has a year in the NFL and a 22nd overall pick's salary.

Teams are trying to trade OUT of the 1st round.  That means teams trying to trade IN (like the Bills) can trade-in for less than they normally would.  So no the Bills didn't miss-out, especially when you consider JP would likely have been the 1st pick in the draft, but has a year in the NFL and a 22nd overall pick's salary.

311125[/snapback]

Agree totslly with thid post. Application of the logic you lay out does revolve around how JP works out (if he is our QB for the future it was a greatmove trading last year, and if he sucks the deal blows). However, it also revolves around the hypothetical of us holding on to the pick and trading it now for a QB we would need to either replace Bledsoe if we cut him with no one on the roster or to challenge him in camp (can you say QB controversy).

Following your thread of logic you would need to identify the vet QB we would get by trading a #20 for him or actually put us in the position of having to trade the #20 plus Henry for Miami or someone else\s pick to be able to draft one of the rookies (who I assume would sit behind a theoretical signing of Holcomb who would now be our #1 and we would have to have paid him accordingly.

Who knows how JP will really turn out (I hope MM. TC and Wyche) but the amount that we paid for getting the man thought by many pundits to be a far better prospect than any QB in this draft if he decided to stay in last year appears to be a small price given how much had to be paid for Jolley this year. Add to this that by making the move last year our QB of the future starts this year with a year's experience as a vet and the trade seems pretty justified by the logic you lay out.

Maybe the Bills missed the boat a bit without making any moves, but there is of course, still plenty of time to wheel and deal. I do wonder what the coaches are thinking though. Do they think we are that close to be a super bowl contender? Is the draft mainly for depth and not looking to land someone who can come in and contribute right away? When they did individual evaluations of each player, was Drew the reason they lost the majority of games? Do they feel that addition by subtraction of DB will get them to the next level? I just hope the Bills Brass knows what they are doing (and i like to think they do).

Why do people think that just because other teams are dealing that we should be too? We should do what's best for the Bills. Unless someone decides to end their career as GM and give us a 1st rounder for Travis, we should stay out of the first round and the malcontent trade sweepstakes (ala Buchanon).

RTB

I don't think we have to pull off any amazing deals on draft day.  I like the roster as it is right now.  I think this is a playoff caliber team right now.  We traded away our #1 last year and now we suffer the consequences -- no big deal -- we can live without a #1 for one year.  Certainly wouldn't want to make a habit of it, but we'll get by.  If Donahoe can pull something off AND it makes sense, then great, otherwise, just enjoy the 55th pick and move on.

311110[/snapback]

I like to side the other side of the hour glass...We had 2 1st round picks instead

of 1 in a draft that was very strong in the 1st round. One of our pick has

already proved that he can play amongst the NFL best and had a great rookie

season. The other watched from the sidelines and the upcoming season will

provide a clue as to what is in store with him.

1 year we had 2 picks in the 1st round with good players

1 year we have 0 pick in the 1st round with average players.

I like our decision.

I believe I read a TD quote in a interview or chat somewhere that he believes (and so do many others) that the lack of sure-fire stars in this draft results in the best deals in terms of players' abilities vs their cost being in the pick #20-40 range. I expect if he makes any moves at all it will be to get in this range.