Leslie Frazier provides updates on defensive position battles

YoloinOhio

46 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

To your point, unless Murphy is setting the world on fire in practice, he should get cut.  The upside of the cap savings outweighs his past performance on the field.  Johnson is the one to keep.

Agree 100%. Especially when you consider its highly unlikely Murphy even stays healthy all season. When you factor in the potential games missed, i think it adds even more weight to your post.

i've also heard/read many times that Murphy is great versus the run. But i've focused on him in many games & while he is better there than vs the pass, he still gets pushed around too much & overpursues. So we're paying an oft-injured underperforming player $8 million a year.

I hated the signing since day 1 & i'll keep hating it until he's gone.

Bleacher Report reported yesterday that they believe his time here is done, so i hope this is 1 time where they're actually right.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I thought he could’ve been a little bit of a find based on his Pedegree, but I haven’t seen a single report that indicates that he is. Tyrel Dodson has been getting strong feedback and it sounds like he’s going to stick if he is playing the back up mike.

If I recall Joseph had some off the field concerns coming out and that was a part of why he fell.  Overall a lot of people really liked him as an athletic prospect, very much in the rangy mold we need here in Buffalo for McDermott's scheme.  He seemed like a great pick late in the draft for another Milano kid of boom potential... but we may be seeing the other side of that coin... the guy tho fits the bill but doesn't put it all together.

4 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

After hearing that Vosean was looking slow in the scrimmage and now that he has had reduced reps due to injury....PS in his future I expect.

It's funny - here's two reports on Joseph from the same scrimmage day

Parrino

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/08/bills-training-camp-2020-josh-allen-throws-for-over-300-yards-in-scrimmage-day-9-observations.html

9. Vosean Joseph seems to be playing slow

Most of the comments I’ve seen from fans this training camp has been about the depth linebacker situation as Joseph competes with Tyrel Dodson and Corey Thompson at the bottom of the depth chart at the position. Joseph made a few tackles on Thursday but his ability in coverage left something to be desired. He seemed to be breaking late on the ball and never seemed to be able to impact the play as soon as you’d like to see.

Athletic - Fairburn

https://theathletic.com/2027459/2020/08/27/day-9-at-bills-camp-an-open-discussion-about-social-justice-and-a-scrimmage/

Vosean Joseph stays active

With Allen throwing 45 passes and completing 34 of them, the defense was busy chasing receivers around all day. Vosean Joseph’s speed and energy stood out throughout practice. He was around the ball and involved in quite a few tackles, including multiple tackles on wide receivers. When the Bills drafted Joseph, they liked the passion he brought to special teams and the upside he had as a speedy linebacker. We’re starting to see more of that now that he’s healthy. Joseph spent last season on injured reserve but is trying to carve out a spot on a linebacker depth chart that has some question marks after the starting group.

:huh:

Also FWIW re: LB, in the Athletic article JoeB said this 

LB Tyrel Dodson — The second-year linebacker continues to stand out during practices. He’s a versatile player who continues to take advantage of his opportunities. I’ve got Dodson as the fifth linebacker making the team based on his performances, and I don’t believe it’s even been close.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I hope they find a way to keep Darryl Johnson or Mike Love. 

I don’t like the idea of letting all of our young, improving edge players get away because we’re instead keeping three 30+ year old guys instead. That’s fine for this year, but they need to plan for the future, too.

Honestly, if Love or Johnson is really having a good camp, I’m fine with them cutting Murphy (who I like) and saving the $7mil and rolling it into next year.

I’d rather get Milano re-signed and keep Johnson or Love than have one more year of Murphy and wait on Milano out of necessity.

I regards to roster decisions, I really believe that Beane feels this team could win a Super Bowl this year or next. If that is the case, I don't see him cutting as a cost saving measure. If he feels Murphy can help win a championship this season more than a player making less money, I see him keeping Murphy. Super Bowl outweighs cap savings.