A Cashless Society is Oppressive and Tyrannical

7 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I'm all for increasing privacy laws, not only for financial data, but internet and social media as well. I just don't trust them to be effective.

When you hand your security over to an entity that is bound only by the rules that the entity implements, and which that entity has the sole power to enforce, you put yourself completely at its mercy.

and what's wrong with that?  sure there could be corruption but the managing of finances through electronic capabilities goes both ways, you can track the bad as well as the good.  and BTW - it's not entirely the rules of the entity, there's regulation and yes, thats done by the government and if you don't trust the government, well that might be the crux of your opinion.  Banks are too regulated NOT to trust them, and mistakes?  easily corrected by technology, that is if the consumer is right and that's not always the case.  Their adding machine tends to fail because of the operator behind it.

i probably shouldn't wade into this pool as it appears i'm the only one but cashless would be my utopia, and not for political reasons, i simply don't do politics, i don't waste my time on things i can't control and i don't vote thus i don't complain nor absorb myself in it.

I can confidently say i'm 90-95% cashless - the businesses that provide me regular services (landscaping, pool, Mosquito service, etc.) i pay the recurring charge via a electronic service and i've taught them all to accept tips (primarily christmas bonus) via PayPal or Zelle.

the only reason i'm not 100% cashless is the inopportune tip or that I live in Miami, Florida and there are still businesses down here that ONLY accept cash and I do my best to avoid them but sometimes i can't.  yesterday our sleep number was delivered and I had to use my emergency $50 bill (i carry 1 in my wallet and this one was there for well over a year and a half) and run to my neighbors to break it so i could tip the delivery guys.

now my neighbor uses only cash but she's in her mid 70's and i've always wrote that off as an old person thing (although i turn 50 this year so i guess i'm old :) )

Pay cards are an excellent way to move electronic cash, they don't have the risk of an ATM (cant tell you the last time i used my ATM, i go American Express exclusively and have a Visa in the case the business doesn't accept AMEX)

I don't understand why someone wouldn't want their finances well tracked (and we as individuals can't possible do it better then the services offered today), i don't understand "under the table need" and i don't understand the tinfoil hat wearing.

yes, i do work for a large FI and not the banking side, i've been in technology my whole career and maybe that's what influences my desire, i've seen it from the inside and i invariably 'trust' it and i believe it's the best way to go.

I respect everyone's opinion, i just thought it was interesting that when i came into this thread i thought i would see more people like me responding.

heck - i might just be that guy you read about being arrested for slapping someone around for writing a check in the grocery line, if anything that should be abolished first, it's checks IMO.

22 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

You should spread your assets across several financial institutions.  I use 8 in total

This.

and if one of those FI's is worth a crap they will offer reporting that brings all 8 FI's data into a single view for the consumer.

16 minutes ago, Say When... said:

This.

and if one of those FI's is worth a crap they will offer reporting that brings all 8 FI's data into a single view for the consumer.

Tiller is great aggregate for viewing all finances across several platforms/entities, I prefer it over what the banks usually offer.

Edited by Crayola64