New Pope!

MattyT

Thanks, but I'm quite sure he (and you) know what I meant.  Please, spare me the one-upmanship internet games. If you, (or him) have something to say, just say it.  Even if it's just an attempt to riducule me,  I will respect that more.

310712[/snapback]

No, I really didn't understand that. When I ridicule I usually have a knack for really ticking people off, so it would have been obvious. I just didn't get what you meant there, about the bigotry and major religions thing. Maybe you were looking for another word?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, but I'm quite sure he (and you) know what I meant.  Please, spare me the one-upmanship internet games. If you, (or him) have something to say, just say it.  Even if it's just an attempt to riducule me,  I will respect that more.

310712[/snapback]

Bobble. I take some joy in internet flame wars, but was not trying to start one. Your statement, "But at the same time, I have some strong, unflappable views on bigotry and simple human decency that I believe go against the doctrines of the major religions today," is either an indictment of major religions as bigoted or an admission that you are bigoted. I assume you meant the former, but I'm not sure.

If you're saying that major religions are bigoted and against simple human decency, that's a helluva claim.

If there's a third way to interpret your statement, I'm all ears.

No, I really didn't understand that. When I ridicule I usually have a knack for really ticking people off, so it would have been obvious.

310725[/snapback]

Well, I don't know you, so I'll just have to take your word on that. You obviously want me to just come out and say that the treatment of women and homosexuals as second-class citizens or even worse is bigoted in spirit. I can respect you for wanting me to explain, I just wish you had said that straight up, sorry.

Sorry everyone, but that's the way I see it. People will want to try to educate me on the word of God and Bible passages and the history of the world's religions, but I see it as a straight-up, black or white issue, you are either a bigot or you are not, and anything that allows for bigoted principles in their laws just that. If someone has a problem with me saying that, well so be it.

Hmm.. maybe I should post the Bill of Rights on here and get credit for such a great list of human rights.

310748[/snapback]

Maybe you should......

People cut and paste crap here all of the time.I don't see a problem with it,unless you have some sort of axe to grind.

Maybe you should......

People cut and paste crap here all of the time.I don't see a problem with it,unless you have some sort of axe to grind.

310754[/snapback]

Cutting and pasting is fine. The point is that you give credit to the source. Sorry to seem like I'm hating; it's meant to be a fairly minor complaint.

Let's hope this pope gets with the 21st century and 1: Allows priests to marry, 2: Allows women priests, 3: Denounces papal infallability, 4: Allows the divorced and openly gay people to fully be members of the church in every way.

If that doesn't happen, I ain't coming back.

309027[/snapback]

See you. The Church isn't about acceptance. Jesus didn't say go ahead and just follow the rules that you want to.

The only way to heaven is through Jesus. Jesus in the Bible said that the Church will be built on Peter. Meaning Peter and his reps set the rules.

Again, noone said it would be easy.

Okay,

I just spent the last 40 minutes reading all of these posts........ and this one is the best.  The rest were amusing, but this one wins it.

310686[/snapback]

Of course if you read later in the Bible, especially in Acts, you would see a lot of those rules were changed or misrepresented and where better defined or changed by Jesus later. But of course facts suck.

From what I recall of Catholicism...yes and no.  While "God hears all prayers", the unwashed masses may NOT speak directly to him, but must go through an official and ordained representative, i.e. a Catholic priest. 

One of the reasons I left the church...it just struck me as funny that a bunch of old men were telling me that God's will was that I not talk to him except through them, and I was just supposed to take them at their word because God told them to tell me I should.  Awful lot of circular logic there...

309522[/snapback]

Wrong but try again. You may pray directly to God, in Catholcism however you may prayer for other to intercede on your behalf as well.

See you.  The Church isn't about acceptance.  Jesus didn't say go ahead and just follow the rules that you want to. 

The only way to heaven is through Jesus.  Jesus in the Bible said that the Church will be built on Peter.  Meaning Peter and his reps set the rules. 

Again, noone said it would be easy.

310780[/snapback]

There are plenty of routes through Jesus that espouse the principles he lists.

There are plenty of routes through Jesus that espouse the principles he lists.

310788[/snapback]

And the point that I am making is, I don't agree, but neither am I the one to judge. We will see when we die. I do not believe for a moment that those who know and are given a choice will be deemed ready to enter heaven. But that is my belief. That doesn't make me like you as an individual any more or any less.

I have my beliefs, that I know to be true. I accept them and constantly learn as I progress. Do I know the whole Catholic doctrine? Not a chance, but i learn, I listen and I try to understand. I know I don't always do the right thing, but I go to confession (reconcoiliation) and admit I did wrong and deal with the consequences.

Again, that is my belief.

And the point that I am making is, I don't agree, but neither am I the one to judge.

310803[/snapback]

That's the tricky part, no? There are so many contradictions in the Bible that all we can do is the best we can do, and let God sort the rest out.

That's the tricky part, no?  There are so many contradictions in the Bible that all we can do is the best we can do, and let God sort the rest out.

310810[/snapback]

That sir is exactly my point. I don't judge, I believe what I believe and others can believe what they believe. We will only know for sure when it is too late, won't we. :D

Well, I don't know you, so I'll just have to take your word on that.  You obviously want me to just come out and say that the treatment of women and homosexuals as second-class citizens or even worse is bigoted in spirit.  I can respect you for wanting me to explain, I just wish you had said that straight up, sorry.

Sorry everyone, but that's the way I see it.  People will want to try to educate me on the word of God and Bible passages and the history of the world's religions, but I see it as a straight-up, black or white issue, you are either a bigot or you are not, and anything that allows for bigoted principles in their laws just that.  If someone has a problem with me saying that, well so be it.

310738[/snapback]

Well, uh, at least I understand what you meant now. I'm not familiar with that particular use of the term bigot. And if I preach to anyone about religion, I'm pretty sure there would be a bolt of lightning heading my way in short order.

Personally, I'm at a crisis of faith at the moment.  The Evangelicals, the fundamentalists, the Catholics, the Muslims, all appear to be hardening their line, but it doesn't make things easier for me, from my selfish standpoint, I guess have a problem, I can't agree with 'the lines' that the religions are taking.

310203[/snapback]

Neo Pagan works for me. :rolleyes: