Andrew Walter is the best QB in draft

I have Walter 2nd behind Alex Smith who is too smart & athletic to fail. Here's my QB analysis :

Quarterback

Juniors Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers will be the top two QBs taken, one probably at the top of the entire draft. Both have gotten raves from some and left others skeptical. I endorse Alex Smith due to his combination of smarts, size and athleticism, but I can’t endorse Rodgers who I feel will go higher than he should and is not worth the risk. In 2002, Joey Harrington went #3 overall because he was the 2nd rated QB that year. Well, it’s obvious that 3rd overall was way too high for Harrington. Rodgers will be overdrafted, regardless if it’s at pick 1 or pick 10. After these two in most rankings are Charlie Frye and Jason Campbell. I favor Campbell slightly, but I don’t know if either will be great or a bust. Campbell led Auburn and had a good season, but Campbell was the quarterback of the team with the best running game in the nation. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had success, but he improved his draft status tremendously in his senior year. This is a standard red flag of mine that I put under the heading of “One Year Wonder”. These types of QBs seldom have NFL success. Frye won the Senior Bowl MVP award, but I didn’t see enough to be overly impressed by his effort. It pales in comparison to what last year’s Senior Bowl MVP Philip Rivers did in that game.

After Alex Smith, it’s pretty much a guessing game. I’ll take a shot with Andrew Walter. Walter’s draft stock has fallen due to a late season shoulder separation, which required surgery, and concerns about his mobility. Some have compared him to Drew Bledsoe, and in some ways they are right. But, if you could get a Bledsoe career out of a 2nd or 3rd pick in this year’s draft, you’d take it.

I expect Stefan LeFors to be entrenched as a team’s starting QB down the line. He’s got a ton of talent, but some will think he’s too small. As a result, he’s likely to be a 3rd rounder or even a second day steal.

A quarterback who may be one of the most physically talented in the entire draft is Adrian McPherson. The problem is that he got kicked out of Florida State after he stole $3,500. Since he also aledgedly was gambling on sports, the Art Schlichter red flag goes up. Since that time, McPherson appears to have cleaned up his act and dominated in ArenaBall last season. He may end up being the steal of the draft if he lasts until the 3rd round. If he stays out of trouble, he could be a star. He seems to be very sincere that his problems were mistakes that he’ll never repeat. After the 1st two rounds, it’s certainly worth it to give him a second chance. I’m sure his contract will be structured to protect his team.

Ben Dougherty, Lang Campbell and Chad Friehauf are good developmental prospect who could make it as a starters down the line. They may have to start on a practice squad and/or in NFL Europe while they learns the NFL game. Friehauf also needs to gain 20-30 pounds, but probably has the best long range potential, although he will most likely get cut in preseason and have to convince a team to add him to its practice squad.

Jason White won the Heisman Trophy in 2003 and will be underrated in this draft due to his prior injuries and a lack of mobility. He could last a long time as a backup and possibly start in the right situation.

Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team’s starters. He’s worth bringing into camp and finding out.

Timmy Chang ran up some good stats in Hawaii’s run and shoot offense, but he’s not an NFL talent nor does he have the work ethic to overachieve in order to make it. He’ll be a wasted pick if he’s drafted. Chris Rix is a head case who has had some minor traffic violations, slept through exams and isn’t always on time for meetings. I’d love to see him in Giants’ camp and see how long Tom Coughlin would put up with his antics. He’s undraftable, but someone will probably take him. Dan Orlovsky, Brock Berlin and Dustin Long just don’t have enough talent to last very long in the NFL.

I have Walter 2nd behind Alex Smith who is too smart & athletic to fail.  Here's my QB analysis :

Quarterback

Juniors Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers will be the top two QBs taken, one probably at the top of the entire draft.  Both have gotten raves from some and left others skeptical.  I endorse Alex Smith due to his combination of smarts, size and athleticism, but I can’t endorse Rodgers who I feel will go higher than he should and is not worth the risk.  In 2002, Joey Harrington went #3 overall because he was the 2nd rated QB that year.  Well, it’s obvious that 3rd overall was way too high for Harrington.  Rodgers will be overdrafted, regardless if it’s at pick 1 or pick 10.  After these two in most rankings are Charlie Frye and Jason Campbell.  I favor Campbell slightly, but I don’t know if either will be great or a bust.  Campbell led Auburn and had a good season, but  Campbell was the quarterback of the team with the best running game in the nation.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he had success, but he improved his draft status tremendously in his senior year.  This is a standard red flag of mine that I put under the heading of “One Year Wonder”.  These types of QBs seldom have NFL success. Frye won the Senior Bowl MVP award, but I didn’t see enough to be overly impressed by his effort.  It pales in comparison to what last year’s Senior Bowl MVP Philip Rivers did in that game. 

After Alex Smith, it’s pretty much a guessing game.  I’ll take a shot with Andrew Walter.  Walter’s draft stock has fallen due to a late season shoulder separation, which required surgery, and concerns about his mobility.  Some have compared him to Drew Bledsoe, and in some ways they are right.  But, if you could get a Bledsoe career out of a 2nd or 3rd pick in this year’s draft, you’d take it.

I expect Stefan LeFors to be entrenched as a team’s starting QB down the line.  He’s got a ton of talent, but some will think he’s too small.  As a result, he’s likely to be a 3rd rounder or even a second day steal.

A quarterback who may be one of the most physically talented in the entire draft is Adrian McPherson.  The problem is that he got kicked out of Florida State after he stole $3,500.  Since he also aledgedly was gambling on sports, the Art Schlichter red flag goes up.  Since that time, McPherson appears to have cleaned up his act and dominated in ArenaBall last season.  He may end up being the steal of the draft if he lasts until the 3rd round. If he stays out of trouble, he could be a star.  He seems to be very sincere that his problems were mistakes that he’ll never repeat.  After the 1st two rounds, it’s certainly worth it to give him a second chance. I’m sure his contract will be structured to protect his team. 

Ben Dougherty, Lang Campbell and Chad Friehauf are good developmental prospect who could make it as a starters down the line.  They may have to start on a practice squad and/or in NFL Europe while they learns the NFL game.  Friehauf also needs to gain 20-30 pounds, but probably has the best long range potential, although he will most likely get cut in preseason and have to convince a team to add him to its practice squad. 

Jason White won the Heisman Trophy in 2003 and will be underrated in this draft due to his prior injuries and a lack of mobility.  He could last a long time as a backup and possibly start in the right situation.

Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team’s starters.  He’s worth bringing into camp and finding out. 

Timmy Chang ran up some good stats in Hawaii’s run and shoot offense, but he’s not an NFL talent nor does he have the work ethic to overachieve in order to make it.  He’ll be a wasted pick if he’s drafted.  Chris Rix is a head case who has had some minor traffic violations, slept through exams and isn’t always on time for meetings. I’d love to see him in Giants’ camp and see how long Tom Coughlin would put up with his antics.  He’s undraftable, but someone will probably take him. Dan Orlovsky, Brock Berlin and Dustin Long just don’t have enough talent to last very long in the NFL.

308429[/snapback]

i'm sorry, are you mel kiper?

I have Walter 2nd behind Alex Smith who is too smart & athletic to fail.  Here's my QB analysis :

Quarterback

Juniors Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers will be the top two QBs taken, one probably at the top of the entire draft.  Both have gotten raves from some and left others skeptical.  I endorse Alex Smith due to his combination of smarts, size and athleticism, but I can’t endorse Rodgers who I feel will go higher than he should and is not worth the risk.  In 2002, Joey Harrington went #3 overall because he was the 2nd rated QB that year.  Well, it’s obvious that 3rd overall was way too high for Harrington.  Rodgers will be overdrafted, regardless if it’s at pick 1 or pick 10.  After these two in most rankings are Charlie Frye and Jason Campbell.  I favor Campbell slightly, but I don’t know if either will be great or a bust.  Campbell led Auburn and had a good season, but  Campbell was the quarterback of the team with the best running game in the nation.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he had success, but he improved his draft status tremendously in his senior year.  This is a standard red flag of mine that I put under the heading of “One Year Wonder”.  These types of QBs seldom have NFL success. Frye won the Senior Bowl MVP award, but I didn’t see enough to be overly impressed by his effort.  It pales in comparison to what last year’s Senior Bowl MVP Philip Rivers did in that game. 

After Alex Smith, it’s pretty much a guessing game.  I’ll take a shot with Andrew Walter.  Walter’s draft stock has fallen due to a late season shoulder separation, which required surgery, and concerns about his mobility.  Some have compared him to Drew Bledsoe, and in some ways they are right.  But, if you could get a Bledsoe career out of a 2nd or 3rd pick in this year’s draft, you’d take it.

I expect Stefan LeFors to be entrenched as a team’s starting QB down the line.  He’s got a ton of talent, but some will think he’s too small.  As a result, he’s likely to be a 3rd rounder or even a second day steal.

A quarterback who may be one of the most physically talented in the entire draft is Adrian McPherson.  The problem is that he got kicked out of Florida State after he stole $3,500.  Since he also aledgedly was gambling on sports, the Art Schlichter red flag goes up.  Since that time, McPherson appears to have cleaned up his act and dominated in ArenaBall last season.  He may end up being the steal of the draft if he lasts until the 3rd round. If he stays out of trouble, he could be a star.  He seems to be very sincere that his problems were mistakes that he’ll never repeat.  After the 1st two rounds, it’s certainly worth it to give him a second chance. I’m sure his contract will be structured to protect his team. 

Ben Dougherty, Lang Campbell and Chad Friehauf are good developmental prospect who could make it as a starters down the line.  They may have to start on a practice squad and/or in NFL Europe while they learns the NFL game.  Friehauf also needs to gain 20-30 pounds, but probably has the best long range potential, although he will most likely get cut in preseason and have to convince a team to add him to its practice squad. 

Jason White won the Heisman Trophy in 2003 and will be underrated in this draft due to his prior injuries and a lack of mobility.  He could last a long time as a backup and possibly start in the right situation.

Matt Cassel has been buried on the depth chart at USC and may be better than a lot of college team’s starters.  He’s worth bringing into camp and finding out. 

Timmy Chang ran up some good stats in Hawaii’s run and shoot offense, but he’s not an NFL talent nor does he have the work ethic to overachieve in order to make it.  He’ll be a wasted pick if he’s drafted.  Chris Rix is a head case who has had some minor traffic violations, slept through exams and isn’t always on time for meetings. I’d love to see him in Giants’ camp and see how long Tom Coughlin would put up with his antics.  He’s undraftable, but someone will probably take him. Dan Orlovsky, Brock Berlin and Dustin Long just don’t have enough talent to last very long in the NFL.

308429[/snapback]

I agree with most of what you say. I would say since I went to almost every game that Walter played at ASU (home games) that he does indeed have mobility concerns but he has much more pocket presense then Bledsoe.

Walter is truely great in my view. A true natural who sees the field well.

I don't like Smith and I don't like Rodgers.

Smith lacks arm IMHO and Rodgers seems a little small.

I agree with most of what you say. I would say since I went to almost every game that Walter played  at ASU (home games) that he does indeed have mobility concerns but he has much more pocket presense then Bledsoe.

Walter is truely great in my view. A true natural who sees the field well.

I don't like Smith and I don't like Rodgers.

Smith lacks arm IMHO and Rodgers seems a little small.

308753[/snapback]

Just an opinion but I just don't see it. ASU is my team, too, and Walter played great for them, as soon as he started. But I see him throwing off his back leg all the time. I see him throwing a lot of lazy passes that will get picked off in the NFL. He has a cannon and throws a beautiful long ball at times. He is unbelievably great in shootouts. But I don't see him making quick decisions and firing the ball with a consistency in the NFL. And he's extremely immobile. The second round is probably right for him and he'll probably have a career in the NFL, getting a chance to start for someone somewhere down the line. I hope he does great because I like him and he's given me a lot of thrills watching ASU. I just don't see him becoming a star.

The Sporting News Pro Football preview for 2004 had Andrew Walter as the best College QB prospect. Utah's Alex Smith wasn't even listed.

I guess it pays to be on a winning team.

308979[/snapback]

Or be a Heisman finalist.

Or have a 21-1 record as a starter.

Or to have the fastest 40 time of any QB in the draft.

Didn't you say a few years ago that Peyton Manning sucked?

Or be a Heisman finalist.

Or have a 21-1 record as a starter.

Or to have the fastest 40 time of any QB in the draft.

Didn't you say a few years ago that Peyton Manning sucked?

309170[/snapback]

Yes I did and didn't Peyton keep losing the big games. The way he played against the Patroits leaves a lot to be desired.

I loved Walters at ASU as well. But this kid is not going to be a star in the NFL. He has no touch on the short ball, and does indeed throw off his back foot. He will make TOO many mistakes to succeed at the next level. I hope he does, but I wouldn't draft him in any round...

Yes I did and didn't Peyton keep losing the big games. The way he played against the Patroits leaves a lot to be desired.

309284[/snapback]

Marino must suck. He's never won a big game.

Ditto for Elway ... or at least until Terrell Davis arrived.

You're still trying to say Manning sucks after he set an NFL record for TD passes in a season? That doesn't make him the greatest QB of all-time, but I'd feel pretty safe in saying that if PM didn't win another playoff game in his life that he'd still be enshrined in Canton.

Marino must suck. He's never won a big game.

Ditto for Elway ... or at least until Terrell Davis arrived.

You're still trying to say Manning sucks after he set an NFL record for TD passes in a season? That doesn't make him the greatest QB of all-time, but I'd feel pretty safe in saying that if PM didn't win another playoff game in his life that he'd still be enshrined in Canton.

309609[/snapback]

You're right. I guess I just never liked his style.