Disappointed in Reed & Aiken

Although Josh Reed put up some amazing stats in college, it just doesn't appear as if he is cutting it as an NFL wide receiver. I don't know what happened to his hands since college but he drops to many passes combined with his short stature and his slow speed it appears that he has a hard time getting open too. He is in a contract year which could make things interesting but I feel he should have played at a much higher level already

Sam Aiken has one year less experience but so far hasn't shown to me anything special either. I seen him drop a couple of catchable balls this past season in his limited action, but he too may be too slow to get open to be affective.

Would not be surprised if Evans is the only player on offense who can run under a 4.5 in the 40 and Mcgahee (at the end of last season was probably under a 4.5)

I think the Bills should get a big red zone target with speed under 4.5 or another speed receiver. Having good hands is important too considering the winds in Buffalo

im big on watching film and studying draft guys but so far I have never been so wrong about 2 players. I was excited when josh reed fell to us and i was touting sam aiken as a sleeper way before we picked him. i guess i was wrong but i still hold hope for aiken, as far as reed goes, he can walk next year and we wouldnt miss a beat

I can understand the disappointment with Reed and Aiken, but a new quarterback often changes a receiver's performance. Moulds suddenly came into his own the same time we switched QBs. Losman might do the same for either one. Still, it may be worthwhile hoping for a good find in the area during the later rounds.

The earliest I'd look to take a WR is Round 4. One guy I like is, Fred Gibson of Georgia who was overshadowed by Reggie Brown but definately has the skills to be #1 WR in the NFL and could compete for the 3rd/4th spot with Reed/Aiken as a rookie. If look even later in the draft, a guy like Chris Henry also could be worth looking at as well. Yet I'm happy with our depth at WR right now so might not even be looking at WR until the 2006 draft.

The earliest I'd look to take a WR is Round 4. One guy I like is, Fred Gisbson of Georgia, who was overshadowed by Reggie Brown but definately has the skills to be #1 WR in the NFL and could compete for the 3rd/4th spot with Reed/Aiken. If look even later in the draft, a guy like Chris Henry also could be worth looking at as well. Yet I'm happy with our depth at WR right now so might not even be looking at WR until the 2006 draft.

307561[/snapback]

How can you be happy with the Bills depth at Wide receiver? What have the backup players shown you to say that?

How about this guy , JP would know him well enough, perhaps a nice third round pick

Roydell Williams

307548[/snapback]

He could be a good pick but I like him more in the 2nd day of the draft.

Although I must say he was JP Losmans go to guy &

He is a TD red zone threat that has decent size & good hands. I also heard that he ran a 4.47 40 at his personal workout.

Agreed.  I wouldnt mind addressing WR in the 2nd round (if we get another 2nd from somewhere). 

Id love to pick up Roscoe Parish or Jerome Mathis.

307544[/snapback]

Roscoe Parish although he is fast might be a bit too small considering that Lee Evans, Josh Reed & Freddie Smith are all under 6'0

I like Jerome Mathis though

How can you be happy with the Bills depth at Wide receiver? What have the backup players shown you to say that?

307570[/snapback]

I see our 3-5th guys as ideal depth guys, potential starters? Not likely but strong depth just the same. As when healthy, Reed is good for 1-3 catches a game which is solid production from a 3rd WR. Aiken improved from showing next to nothing as a rookie to a guy who could compete with Reed to be a 3rd WR. Smith showed he can be a solid punt returner which is good production from someone 5th on the depth chart.

Could I see replacing someone there? Sure but not with a high pick when feel that other positions would be better served as feel Evans and Moulds are as good as a 1-2 punch as there is in the NFL. Heck there are some quality veteran 3rd WRs still available in UFA who could be had for the cheap such as Jerome Pathon, Charles Lee, Tai Streets and Kevin Johnson.

The earliest I'd look to take a WR is Round 4. One guy I like is, Fred Gisbson of Georgia, who was overshadowed by Reggie Brown but definately has the skills to be #1 WR in the NFL and could compete for the 3rd/4th spot with Reed/Aiken. If look even later in the draft, a guy like Chris Henry also could be worth looking at as well. Yet I'm happy with our depth at WR right now so might not even be looking at WR until the 2006 draft.

307561[/snapback]

Chris Henry

Official Bio College: West Virginia Height: 6-4

Position: Wide Receiver Weight: 197

Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.42

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has been very productive the last two years...Is a big play waiting to happen...Has great size...Speed is good...Is an excellent natural athlete...Has great leaping ability and ball skills...Can run after the catch...Still has a ton of upside...A playmaker.

Weaknesses: Very raw and has a long ways to go in terms of technique and route running...Character is a major question mark...Very immature...Doesn't have a lot of experience...A project who will need a lot of development.

Notes: Has as much potential as any wideout available...Junior season was very turbulent and included team suspensions, temper tantrums and even a game ejection...Any team drafting him will be making a gamble on greatness with both a high risk as well as a high reward factor.

Chris Henry could be a great pick but his stock is dropping. He isn't very bright either

I completely agree. This team defienetly needs a number 3 receiver. I thought Bobby Shaw was going to fill that role nicely but we all know how that ended up. I would prefer we bring in a veteran because it takes so long for rookie wide receivers to develop. does anyone know if there are any good vet still out there? As far as the draft wide receiver is a deep position this year and I agree with those who have been hyping up Matt Jones. I am sure a good wideout will fall to us.

He could be a good pick but I like him more in the 2nd day of the draft.

Although I must say he was JP Losmans go to guy &

He is a TD red zone threat that has decent size &  good hands. I also heard that he ran a 4.47 40 at his personal workout.

307575[/snapback]

Thats what my thought was JP and he very well might work very well together early on , and he sounds like a guy who can come in and fight and get those 6-8 yard needed first downs. If they can pick him up 4th or 5th rounds or undrafted free agent all the power to the Bills, A guy JP has worked with and had some success might be a good thing. I also read that he had some very good 40 numbers since the combine.

ok no on chris henry... and let me tell you all something, fred gibson is the biggest kitty in the entire draft. he will never go across the middle and he short arms passes. hes 6'4'' and hes affraid to get hit, he will be a bigger bust than reed or aiken

I maybe the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reed extended for 2 years prior to the start of the season. It will be cap friendly and will seal him up for a couple of more years if he does finally break out an will be cuttable if he doesn't.

I expect Reed to actually do well this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see 800 yards, 60 catches and 6 TD's.

I maybe the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reed extended for 2 years prior to the start of the season.  It will be cap friendly and will seal him up for a couple of more years if he does finally break out an will be cuttable if he doesn't. 

I expect Reed to actually do well this year, and wouldn't be surprised to see 800 yards, 60 catches and 6 TD's.

307799[/snapback]

That's a really good thought, VA. I think TD did this with Mark Campbell and it worked out well. He did it with Sullivan and it didn't work and we cut him. He did it with Tucker and now he looks like an excellent back-up and spot starter for the money. You may well be right.

Reed is one of the more strange players I have seen in a long while. Great college career, and then starts off very well. Hardly drops a ball. Is thrust into a tough and soon to be impossible role in 2003 and tanks, but that is somewhat understandable, especially with the injury to Moulds (although Reed's worst game could have been the opening day blowout of NE). But last year he wasn't expected to excel as much, and was returned to a more familiar role, and yet he still looked lost. I guess his confidence really took a beating. He still has a chance but I don't thing anyone can count on him until he proves it over time.

I maybe the only one who thinks this, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reed extended for 2 years prior to the start of the season.  It will be cap friendly and will seal him up for a couple of more years if he does finally break out an will be cuttable if he doesn't. 

307799[/snapback]

I'd say the only way he gets those numbers is if there are injuries and b/c his contract year motivates him similar to Peerless. But likewise, I wouldn't pony up for a guy who could only be bothered to show up when it came down to fattening his wallet.

I'm looking forward to Aiken kicking keester this summer, leaving no doubt who should be the #3WR. Aiken began to come into his own against St. Louis in late November (remember the flea-flicker to Aiken?) His 61 yards were team high that day. He also had 52 yards vs. Pgh to end the season.

Aiken is also a strong special teams player. Often a gunner, Aiken had at least one tackle in each game this season, and had a great December, recording four unassisted stops at SF (12/26), as well as 3 in Cin (12/19), and 2 vs. Pgh.

Aiken finished the season with a new personal season highs with 14 receptions for 148 yards. I look forward to another record-setting year for Aiken.