Just hit the slopes one more time

Buffalo716

At holiday valley for the season... Hardly anybody there so you can carve the whole place up

Also ... Super Icey today... Went the whole day without a hiccup

Last run bombing it and hit ice at 40-50mph and just destroyed myself and ripped my whole side and hip up lol

That's how you finish!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Was planning to hit Tahoe this week given everything else is canceled and they just got about 4' of new snow.......but now they're closing all the ski resorts.  :(

Edited by KD in CA
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

At holiday valley for the season... Hardly anybody there so you can carve the whole place up

Also ... Super Icey today... Went the whole day without a hiccup

Last run bombing it and hit ice at 40-50mph and just destroyed myself and ripped my whole side and hip up lol

That's how you finish!

So....almost?

Glad you had a great time. 

My son’s fiancé was supposed to leave for Vail in about 10 days for her bachelorette stuff. Got word it was cancelled and wanted to praise her for a wise decision, then learned Vail is just plain closing. I hope she made that decision on her own! (We LOVE her!) They just flew back from Florida for a wedding, and I wish that had not happened. Hard to pass on a close friend’s wedding. They are young and will be fine. I’ll keep my distance for a while. 

Back to skiing - I love the trip, but was never one for the slopes. Killington has one green slope that goes forever. I’ve never enjoyed it more than that one long glide.

The best part is when it’s done and I sit by the fire with a beverage and listen to the music with snow falling. That is awesome! . 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

So....almost?

Glad you had a great time. 

My son’s fiancé was supposed to leave for Vail in about 10 days for her bachelorette stuff. Got word it was cancelled and wanted to praise her for a wise decision, then learned Vail is just plain closing. I hope she made that decision on her own! (We LOVE her!) They just flew back from Florida for a wedding, and I wish that had not happened. Hard to pass on a close friend’s wedding. They are young and will be fine. I’ll keep my distance for a while. 

Back to skiing - I love the trip, but was never one for the slopes. Killington has one green slope that goes forever. I’ve never enjoyed it more than that one long glide.

The best part is when it’s done and I sit by the fire with a beverage and listen to the music with snow falling. That is awesome! . 

Sounds awesome and yes I guess I almost made it...

I guess it didn't help that I went to the bar right before that last run and had 2 whiskey and cokes lol

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sounds awesome and yes I guess I almost made it...

I guess it didn't help that I went to the bar right before that last run and had 2 whiskey and cokes lol

Your “one more time” struck a chord with me. I clearly remember decades ago when my parents came to visit us after we moved with the little ones to Florida. My dad jumped on a bike in our sleepy little neighborhood and went for a ride. The next time I saw him, he was walking/limping the bike back carrying his spilled Sprite can in one hand. He had lost it, and I’m sure that was his last bike ride. 

If I were to go skiing again, it could end just like that. Or worse. I suspect I have finished my skiing days, and didn’t even know it when it happened. It sucks to get old! You may be talking seasons, and I’m talking LIFE. 

Don’t take life for granted. Every time you do anything, it could be the last time....so enjoy the hell out of it! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

Your “one more time” struck a chord with me. I clearly remember decades ago when my parents came to visit us after we moved with the little ones to Florida. My dad jumped on a bike in our sleepy little neighborhood and went for a ride. The next time I saw him, he was walking/limping the bike back carrying his spilled Sprite can in one hand. He had lost it, and I’m sure that was his last bike ride. 

If I were to go skiing again, it could end just like that. Or worse. I suspect I have finished my skiing days, and didn’t even know it when it happened. It sucks to get old! You may be talking seasons, and I’m talking LIFE. 

Don’t take life for granted. Every time you do anything, it could be the last time....so enjoy the hell out of it! 

Well there's the problem... Not supposed to be drinking a can of Sprite and biking.  That's Sprite abuse!

Skiing, just stick to the gentle groomers, cruise a little... Go in, then cruise a little more, then go in for a little longer.  .

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Well there's the problem... Not supposed to be drinking a can of Sprite and biking.  That's Sprite abuse!

Skiing, just stick to the gentle groomers, cruise a little... Go in, then cruise a little more, then go in for a little longer.  .

I’m telling you, out of the few places I’ve been, Killington has the only friendly trail I really loved. We don’t ski much as a family, but did try Breckenridge and Park City and visited Vail which  looked equally intimidating. Skiing is not my thing as much as the apres ski. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m telling you, out of the few places I’ve been, Killington has the only friendly trail I really loved. We don’t ski much as a family, but did try Breckenridge and Park City and visited Vail which  looked equally intimidating. Skiing is not my thing as much as the apres ski. 

Juggernaut?  It's like miles long and almost flat!

At Steamboat, I took my snowplowing daughter all the down from summit... On the snowmobile switchbacks... But she already had lessons at Squaw Valley the year prior.

There is always an easy way down.  And it ain't in the "ride of shame" sled...

EDIT: Oh wow... Killington killed, closed off Juggernaut in 2018.  Just looked it up.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Juggernaut?  It's like miles long and almost flat!

At Steamboat, I took my snowplowing daughter all the down from summit... On the snowmobile switchbacks... But she already had lessons at Squaw Valley the year prior.

There is always an easy way down.  And it ain't in the "ride of shame" sled...

EDIT: Oh wow... Killington killed, closed off Juggernaut in 2018.  Just looked it up.

Almost flat! YES! Just enough that gravity will slowly pull me along. We’ve gotten lost in the past where our options were nothing but black trails. I’m more into the lazy river of skiing.  Just our style! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Was planning to hit Tahoe this week given everything else is canceled and they just got about 4' of new snow.......but now they're closing all the ski resorts.  :(

Yeah, we had to cancel our trip to Big Bear that was planned for next weekend. 

I just got the hang of snowboarding last month, and was really looking forward to some accelerated skills growth, and now it looks like it might be next season before we're up again. ?