From ESPN Insider... Bucs trade could bring player

Bucs - Apr. 15 - The Bucs are operating as though they have a chance to get Utah quarterback Alex Smith if he drops to the second pick, according to John Clayton. The debate is whether to give up a second-round choice to move up from No. 5 to No. 2. Smith is the quarterback the Bucs want after seeing him work out last week. The Dolphins are studying him to be the No. 2 pick if they don't trade out. The Dolphins want draft choices. They can get one in the Patrick Surtain deal with the Chiefs, but they should get a better draft choice from the Bucs.

The second aspect to the Bucs' move to possibly get Smith is what they are doing at running back. The Bucs contacted the Bills about acquiring halfback Travis Henry. The Bucs might be willing to come up with the right player – not a draft choice – that would entice the Bills to make a trade. If the Bucs could acquire Alex Smith and Henry in two separate trades, they certainly would be big winners in this draft.

TH - Apr. 15 - In the market for a top-level running back, Buccaneers GM Bruce Allen told the St. Petersburg Times he has spoken to the Bills about the possibility of acquiring Travis Henry. If the two sides agree to a trade, it likely won't be until next week, speculates the newspaper.

The Cardinals have been the favorites to land Henry, but the long-rumored deal that would send Henry to Arizona for offensive tackle L.J. Shelton appears to be on hold. Buffalo would like to swap picks in the second round, taking the Cardinals' pick (No. 44) for the 55th selection, but Arizona coach Dennis Green prefers a straight-up player-for-player swap.

Nothing new to report, but anyone want to take a guess at what player they may offer that we may be interested in? I am having trouble finding anyone on their roster that would make me jump for joy if we got (outside of Barber and Rice), Maybe we are looking at a three/four team trade here? Does this off-season feel a little bit like the first two weeks of March before the Hockey Trading Deadline?

Anybody know what Kenyatta Walker's contract looks like?

306483[/snapback]

Buccaneers | Walker Sets High Expectations - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:13:21 -0700

Ira Kaufman, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OT Kenyatta Walker is setting high expectations for himself for next season. "I think last year I gained respect," Walker said. "I feel that the year before, they didn't know who I was. I got better, and I'm ready to take it to another level. I was more consistent last year, but I'm looking to be great." Walker noted how much he progressed last season compared to previous years. "I went from leading the league in penalties to five penalties," Walker said. "I went from not starting to taking my job back from someone they gave $4 million to up front [OT Todd Steussie]. Obviously, I had a good year because I'm still here.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buccaneers | Walker Could Become June 1 Casualty - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:12:12 -0700

Ira Kaufman, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OT Kenyatta Walker has a salary cap figure of approximately $2.5 million for next season and could be vulnerable to becoming a cap casualty after June 1 this year.

Thanx Pete,

2.5mil/year for a LT seems very palatable to me. I wonder if that's the back end of his rookie deal and he becomes a FA next off-season. I might be hesitant to deal for him unless the Bills already have an agreement for an extension in place.

Cya

Anybody know what Kenyatta Walker's contract looks like?

306483[/snapback]

He's in the final year of his deal but there is some escalator clause that causes his number to be something like $6.2 million if he's on their roster June 1st.*

*Speculative according to the Bucs version of Clump.

Isnt Kenyatta Walker the same guy with a huge attitude problem, flopped in his bid at LT and is likely to be cut anyways?  They'd have to offer a bit more to dump him on us.

306491[/snapback]

Sounds like a McNally reclamation project. If the price is right it could be a good deal.

He's in the final year of his deal but there is some escalator clause that causes his number to be something like $6.2 million if he's on their roster June 1st.*

*Speculative according to the Bucs version of Clump.

306495[/snapback]

That sounds like he would be cheap for the Bills as that is obviously some version of a Tampa Bay roster bonus which wouldn't apply to the Bills, would it?

I really haven't paid any attention to him and don't know if he would be worth it or not. Like Shelton, I would imagine that TD would want something more, like, say, Walker and a swap of their seconds or a swap of their thirds.

That sounds like he would be cheap for the Bills as that is obviously some version of a Tampa Bay roster bonus which wouldn't apply to the Bills, would it?

I really haven't paid any attention to him and don't know if he would be worth it or not. Like Shelton, I would imagine that TD would want something more, like, say, Walker and a swap of their seconds or a swap of their thirds.

306501[/snapback]

It's something like a $2.5 million dollar roster bonus as the escalator. If they cut him, it saves them that. I'm sure he got a bonus in the neighborhood of $5 or $6 million for being drafted at 14, so that'd save another million or so because they'd be responsible for that. I don't know if we'd be on the hook for that bonus or not, but that would put his base somewhere around $2.7 million.