NYup/Parrino Mock Draft - rawwwrr

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

My biggest concern was Shaq's numbers prior to last year weren't as good as they were last year. He has even said on social media that the Bills not taking his option fueled his play for 2019 to earn a contract. It just screams pay me and I go back to what I was, which was a solid run tackling DE. I don't mind adding another edge rusher to compete with Trent. Infact I'd add a veteran and am leaning toward drafting a kid in Round 1 too. 

Shaq is better than Murphy and to my mind it isn't even close. The amount of times I screamed get that [expletive] off the field last year watching Murphy completely lose gap discipline is greater than his career sack total. Put it that way.

44 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I can see Shaq wanting more than Murphy because he got more sacks but I don't think he's that much better. Armstead another one of those one year wonders I worry about and while he is a solid run stuffer not sure he an elite pass rusher. I'm not sold on Clowney either and Ngakoue likely going to command a top salary and doubt we pay it. 

Shaq is not an elite pass rusher. Nor is Murphy. He is however, a more productive pass rusher and better at every other facet of the game. Murphy at $3-4m I would be fine with. Murhpy at $10m is vomit inducing. Regardless of how much cap space we have.

I have enough disposable income to pay my cleaner $200 a week for 3 hours work. I don't however, because that is way more than the contribution she makes is worth. I like her. She is a good cleaner and a nice lady. I pay her well but if she came to me tomorrow and said "my rate is now $200 for 3 hours work" I'd say, thanks very much but I'm going to move on. I like my cleaner a lot more than I like Trent Murphy.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I really do think Beane tries to get a deal with Shaq done as I believe they want to keep him.  If Shaq wants Clowney type money, he's gone.

IIRC, McD made a comment at the end of the season that he would have liked to see more from the defensive line in terms of QB pressure; they were somewhere toward the middle of the league as far as that goes.  Murphy needed to step up and fill that role, which he did not do that good of a job at, and certainly below his pay level.  He may be a high motor guy, but you're not going to contend for the SB having guys like Murphy and Star being counted on as DLine starters, or even high percentage rotation since they're middling players.  I'd be fine with keeping both at a lower pay rate and depth/low rotation percentage.

I think if we don’t see a deal with Shaq before FA, Beane will still try to get it done.  His presser sounded like he’s open to upping his offer if Shaq shows higher value in FA.

Phillips, I think Beane is already aware he has a lower value on BigJ than another team is likely to pay, and he’s less open to upping it.