Update on Tampa Bay Taking a QB

marck

I just heard a report from a Tampa beat writer on the Colin Cowherd show that states that the Buccaneers are really looking at the possibility of selecting a QB with their first round choice. It was because Gruden has a very high pick this year and feels that this may be the only chance to get a "franchise qb".

If that does happen that puts Tampa in a position to really look at Travis Henry as a viable option at running back for them.

Yesterday I introduced the possibility of Kenyetta Walker being involved, but now it seems more likely that the scenario might be just Henry for Tampa's 2nd round choice and another pick.

Tampa Bay has two 3rd round choice at picks 71 & 91.

What I am suggesting is that the Bills trade Henry to Tampa Bay and ask for the 36th pick which is in the 2nd round and the lower 3rd round pick which is at selection 91.

Then the Bills would have 2nd round picks at 36 & 55, 3rd round picks at 86 & 91 along with the remaining compliment of picks on day two of the draft.

The Bills could them delete the 1.5 million in cap space for Henry, giving them about 7.7 million to work with. With a total of 8 picks all 2nd round and lower the rookie allocation would be under 2.5 million, leaving monies for a re-work of Nate Clements contract.

Also, if the Bills were able to put this deal in place for the draft, they could monitor the draft board and wait until the picks for Kansas City, New Orleans and Cincinnati come up at picks 15-17 in the 1st round and play the Nate Clements trade card to auction to the highest bidder. I believe the Chiefs might bite at 15 since Dick Vermeil has already stated that this will be his last year and its a big need area for the Chiefs since they have to play the Raiders and Randy Moss twice per season.

The beauty here is with the additional picks gained in the proposed Travis Henry deal and this being a cornerback deep draft, the Bills would be in position to trade Nate Clements and drop his big salary and the headache involved in possibly franchising him or losing him aftr this year and pick-up a replacement such as Auburn CB Carlos Rogers with this pick. Also, Justin Miller of Clemson is an excellent CB and the best punt returner in college football and would be available if the Bills wanted to go in this direction.

So to summerize:

1. Trade Henry to Tampa for picks 36 & 91

2. Use the money now available within the Bills Salary cap and offer Nate Clements a long term deal to stay in Buffalo. If he agrees, use the 4 picks on day 1 to grab OL David Baas at pick 36, a quality corner such as Eric Green at 55, then move into the 3rd round and draft an Eric Shelton of Louisville at back-up RB and lastly, pick a DT such as Anthony Bryant to close out your first day activities:

4. If the Bills can't get Clements to sign a long term deal, then offer him to the three teams I mentioned and get the best package which really would be Clements for the 1st round choice. If Kansas City agrees to the trade, then select the best available corner probably Carlos Rogers or Adam Jones.

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought that this might be interesting for those fans who like to look about some interesting options betond the Henry to Arizona deal.

Not bad ideas. I don;t like dealing NC, though. Would you then play Baas at C and Teague at LT? Is that better than Shelton at LT and Teague at C, with Spemcer or Baas being groomed to take over when Teague's contract runs out?

Not bad ideas.  I don;t like dealing NC, though.  Would you then play Baas at C and Teague at LT?  Is that better than Shelton at LT and Teague at C, with Spemcer or Baas being groomed to take over when Teague's contract runs out?

304981[/snapback]

I don't think we will get the extra 3rd rounder....Remember last year

Dillon was given for a 2nd round pick.

Baas/Spencer if selected in the early part of 2nd round will be starting for

their teams, not groomed to take over. I prefer to make a long term

move to LT so that JP does not have to play behind a new LT again next

year when Teagues contract runs out and if he proves that he is a avg

LT this year.

Tampa has Pitman, Garner and Alstot all signed to league min's, so I dont think that Henry is in the mix. also, reading about the Buc's this morning, it looks like M. Williams is on top of their list for the number 5 pick. He's a local boy. One more thing, Gruden likes experence at QB, I just dont see him taking one. They just resigned Greese, they Have Simms for one more year before they'd have to do something with him. Also, Aki Smith has been signed and is playing quite well in Europe it seems.........Just some quick thoughts on your post :(

dude... the absolute best the bills can expect for Henry is a mid 2nd rounder.... if they get a high 2nd rounder (as you're suggesting), I guarantee no team will give up a ham sandwich or anything else for Henry, let alone a 3rd rounder. Henry's true market value is really only a 3rd or 4th rd. pick.... that's why no team is knocking the bills door down for Henry. For Christ sake... Dennis Green doesn't want to give up his 44th pick for Henry.

THINK, DUDE... Henry has a year left on a very reasonable contract for any team to take on. If I'm the Bucs, why the fug would I give up a #2 and #3 for a player that, unless I pony up a boatload of cash, is only gonna play one season for me.

You pipe dream guys kill me.... So mark this down... the best you can hope for is a mid 2nd rounder for Henry... nothing else.

Tampa has Pitman, Garner and Alstot all signed to league min's, so I dont think that Henry is in the mix. also, reading about the Buc's this morning, it looks like M. Williams is on top of their list for the number 5 pick. He's a local boy. One more thing, Gruden likes experence at QB, I just dont see him taking one. They just resigned Greese, they Have Simms for one more year before they'd have to do something with him. Also, Aki Smith has been signed and is playing quite well in Europe it seems.........Just some quick thoughts on your post :(

304994[/snapback]

An Akili Smith sighting!

Here, some folks kicked around the possibility of converting Smith to a wr - he's a fine athelete and is as tough as they come. But Akili preferred to cash the big checks owed him. Served Mike Brown right... :doh:

dude... the absolute best the bills can expect for Henry is a mid 2nd rounder.... if they get a high 2nd rounder (as you're suggesting), I guarantee no team will give up a ham sandwich or anything else for Henry, let alone a 3rd rounder.  Henry's true market value is really only a 3rd or 4th rd. pick.... that's why no team is knocking the bills door down for Henry.  For Christ sake... Dennis Green doesn't want to give up his 44th pick for Henry.

THINK, DUDE... Henry has a year left on a very reasonable contract for any team to take on. If I'm the Bucs, why the fug would I give up a #2 and #3 for a player that, unless I pony up a boatload of cash, is only gonna play one season for me. 

You pipe dream guys kill me.... So mark this down...  the best you can hope for is a mid 2nd rounder for Henry... nothing else.

305001[/snapback]

Dude, like great point! Like the rest of us dudes just couldn't, like, rap our brains around that!

Rock on dude!

:(

Jeff

Thanks for the feedback. Mike Williams is also rumored however they do have Clayton and Joey Galloway.

Even if they pick Mike Willaims which is the direction I think they should go, they still have need of a running back. Pittman is a ticking time bomb and has as much potential to be in jail as he does to run for 100 yards in a game, Alstott is old and done as is Garner.

Plus Henry is cheap as far as running backs are concerned and this makes him very attractive to Tampa Bay and their tight salary cap situation. Also Henry wants to play in Florida, wants to play on grass and would be inclined to resign in Tampa Bay on a long term deal.

Great feedback however and the trade may still go down, even if Tampa goes receiver.

304994[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback. I like Baas over Spencer only because of versitality. If Spencer is selected that does move Teague to LT. I think he would do fine against speed rushers such as Jason Taylor, and John Abraham but would be overmatched against stronger bull rusher types such as Richard Seymour.

Obviously, you have to select players that match-up well within your division and this is why moving Teague to LT has some good possibilities.

I also agree that I would rather resign Nate Clements, but if the Bills can't do that you have to apply the old adage of trading one year early is far better then one year too late. If the Bills can't get a signed extension for Clements, they need to move him now to the teams who have defined CB needs and to a position where the Bills can draft a comparable talent replacement.

Not bad ideas.  I don;t like dealing NC, though.  Would you then play Baas at C and Teague at LT?  Is that better than Shelton at LT and Teague at C, with Spemcer or Baas being groomed to take over when Teague's contract runs out?

304981[/snapback]

DeeRay,

Actually your statement of "you pipe dram guys" is rude. I make a valid football point and you respond back talking as a throwback from the eighties "dude".

Henry has value because of the low contract which has value to a cap strung team such as Tampa, plus Henry wants to play in Florida, will sign a long-term deal in Tampa and with this in mind, allows Tampa to make a move on other need areas.

To counter your point about him being wrth only a mid 3rd rounder, you are very wrong. He has had two years in which he ran for over 1300 yards on a team with almost no offensive weapons and a sitting duck QB playing behind a horrid undeveloped offensive line.

Travis Henry is in the 2nd tier of quality running backs and is a valued commodity in the NFL.

So "dude" try responding with a knowledgeable footback take.

dude... the absolute best the bills can expect for Henry is a mid 2nd rounder.... if they get a high 2nd rounder (as you're suggesting), I guarantee no team will give up a ham sandwich or anything else for Henry, let alone a 3rd rounder.  Henry's true market value is really only a 3rd or 4th rd. pick.... that's why no team is knocking the bills door down for Henry.  For Christ sake... Dennis Green doesn't want to give up his 44th pick for Henry.

You pipe dream guys kill me.... So mark this down...  the best you can hope for is a mid 2nd rounder for Henry... nothing else.

305001[/snapback]

DeeRay,

Actually your statement of "you pipe dram guys" is rude.  I make a valid football point and you respond back talking as a throwback from the eighties "dude".

Henry has value because of the low contract which has value to a cap strung team such as Tampa, plus Henry wants to play in Florida, will sign a long-term deal in Tampa and with this in mind, allows Tampa to make a move on other need areas.

To counter your point about him being wrth only a mid 3rd rounder, you are very wrong.  He has had two years in which he ran for over 1300 yards on a team with almost no offensive weapons and a sitting duck QB playing behind a horrid undeveloped offensive line.

Travis Henry is in the 2nd tier of quality running backs and is a valued commodity in the NFL.

So "dude" try responding with a knowledgeable footback take.

305033[/snapback]

An early second and an early third for Travis henry IS nothing but a pipe dream. The Rams got Faulk for a 2nd and a 5th. Faulk is better than Travis Henry in each and every phase of football, and this at the age of 70.

TD is trying to move up in round 2 and get Shelton, an OT he is seemingly not very impressed with. If Henry had real value, TD would not have to bottom feed in this manner.

One other point. No football fan will ever argue against the importance of a quality LT. Sheton has a cheap price tag, and no bonus to contend with. If TD thought he was THAT good, he would have already made the trade, and many other teams would be lining up for a good, cheap Left Tackle.

Well, it isn't happening, nor are teams tripping all over themselves to take Henry off of our hands.

The Henry situation is huge to us because we are Bills fans and our 1st round pick is gone but as the NFL goes, it is small potatoes.

I just heard a report from a Tampa beat writer on the Colin Cowherd show that states that the Buccaneers are really looking at the possibility of selecting a QB with their first round choice.  It was because Gruden has a very high pick this year and feels that this may be the only chance to get a "franchise qb".

If that does happen that puts Tampa in a position to really look at Travis Henry as a viable option at running back for them.

Yesterday I introduced the possibility of Kenyetta Walker being involved, but now it seems more likely that the scenario might be just Henry for Tampa's 2nd round choice and another pick.

Tampa Bay has two 3rd round choice at picks 71 & 91.

304977[/snapback]

I don't think TB would give a 2nd and 3rd.. but two 3rd rounders is possible.. Also I think TD puts a full court press on re-signing Nate when training camp opens.

I don't believe anything any GM or Coach or NFL personnel person has to say right now. As right now it's all about not tipping your hand as to what they're going (or not going) to do come draft day. Whether it be the Bucs wanting a QB, what TD says about Shelton or Green about Henry. All we can do is speculate and hope the Bills do what is best for them as a team to ultimately win a Super Bowl either in 2005 or the years following.

I just heard a report from a Tampa beat writer on the Colin Cowherd show

304977[/snapback]

Dude, you listen to that show :(:doh:

The Cowherd Show might be the worse thing on the air next to the Brad Dumbies Show in Rochester. The only thing good about Cowherd's show is when he spans the globe and brings in beat writers like the guy you mentioned --- otherwise he's painful to your ears.

305001[/snapback]

I agreed with you completely... until... saying that TH was only worth a 3rd or a 4th round pick. That is insanity. TH is almost guaranteed 1000 yards next year for any team that he plays on. He had over 2800 yards in two years with us. What 4th round pick is guaranteed that??

You are right, he is not worth a 2nd and a 3rd. Even Cory Dillon wasn't worth that.

I don't believe anything any GM or Coach or NFL personnel person has to say right now. As right now it's all about not tipping your hand as to what they're going (or not going) to do come draft day. Whether it be the Bucs wanting a QB, what TD says about Shelton or Green about Henry. All we can do is speculate and hope the Bills do what is best for them as a team to ultimate win a Super Bowl either in 2005 or the years following.

305109[/snapback]

Very very good point. TD likes to play his cards close to his chest. Nobody knows what will happen.