Update on Tampa Bay Taking a QB

marck

if TB is really looking at taking Rogers or Smith they may have to move up to do it, which would probably require trading their 1st and 2nd to move up a mere 1-3 spots. top 5 draft picks tend to require serious trade bait

even if they don't have to trade their 2nd, i still doubt we'd get TBs 2nd rounder for TH. maybe both 3rds

I just heard a report from a Tampa beat writer on the Colin Cowherd show that states that the Buccaneers are really looking at the possibility of selecting a QB with their first round choice.  It was because Gruden has a very high pick this year and feels that this may be the only chance to get a "franchise qb".

If that does happen that puts Tampa in a position to really look at Travis Henry as a viable option at running back for them.

Yesterday I introduced the possibility of Kenyetta Walker being involved, but now it seems more likely that the scenario might be just Henry for Tampa's 2nd round choice and another pick.

Tampa Bay has two 3rd round choice at picks 71 & 91.

What I am suggesting is that the Bills trade Henry to Tampa Bay and ask for the 36th pick which is in the 2nd round and the lower 3rd round pick which is at selection 91.

Then the Bills would have 2nd round picks at 36 & 55, 3rd round picks at 86 & 91 along with the remaining compliment of picks on day two of the draft.

The Bills could them delete the 1.5 million in cap space for Henry, giving them about 7.7 million to work with.  With a total of 8 picks all 2nd round and lower the rookie allocation would be under 2.5 million, leaving monies for a re-work of Nate Clements contract.

Also, if the Bills were able to put this deal in place for the draft, they could monitor the draft board and wait until the picks for Kansas City, New Orleans and Cincinnati come up at picks 15-17 in the 1st round and play the Nate Clements trade card to auction to the highest bidder.  I believe the Chiefs might bite at 15 since Dick Vermeil has already stated that this will be his last year and its a big need area for the Chiefs since they have to play the Raiders and Randy Moss twice per season.

The beauty here is with the additional picks gained in the proposed Travis Henry deal and this being a cornerback deep draft, the Bills would be in position to trade Nate Clements and drop his big salary and the headache involved in possibly franchising him or losing him aftr this year and pick-up a replacement such as Auburn CB Carlos Rogers with this pick.  Also, Justin Miller of Clemson is an excellent CB and the best punt returner in college football and would be available if the Bills wanted to go in this direction.

So to summerize:

1.  Trade Henry to Tampa for picks 36 & 91

2.  Use the money now available within the Bills Salary cap and offer Nate Clements a long term deal to stay in Buffalo.  If he agrees, use the 4 picks on day 1 to grab OL David Baas at pick 36, a quality corner such as Eric Green at 55, then move into the 3rd round and draft an Eric Shelton of Louisville at back-up RB and lastly, pick a DT  such as Anthony Bryant to close out your first day activities:

4.  If the Bills can't get Clements to sign a long term deal, then offer him to the three teams I mentioned and get the best package which really would be Clements for the 1st round choice.  If Kansas City agrees to the trade, then select the best available corner probably Carlos Rogers or Adam Jones.

Sorry for the long post, but I just thought that this might be interesting for those fans who like to look about some interesting options betond the Henry to Arizona deal.

304977[/snapback]

I say Keep Nate Clements & throw in Josh Reed to try to get 2 pick from Tampa